Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brussels things to do and can i get a train to amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2008, 02:08 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brussels things to do and can i get a train to amsterdam

Me and the girlfriend are going to brussels next week for 5 days. I am just after some feedback from people who have been there what things did you enjoy and how expensive was it out there.

We are thinking about getting a train to amsterdam has anyone done this. I think it takes about 3 hours is it expensive.

thanks
Old 11 August 2008, 02:18 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Went to Brussels in May and it was mega expensive, spent £100 Yes £100 getting to the hotel and then into Brussels centre in a taxi.

The weak pound against the Euro hasn't helped things and petrol over there is expensive

Maybe try using public transport, i couldn't figure it out as i cant speak or read any French.

Beer was superb though! surprisingly the waffles were crap over there.

We only stayed for 2 days, so apart from the centre can't really recommend anywhere to go

Hope you have a good time
Old 11 August 2008, 02:50 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Went to Brussels in May and it was mega expensive, spent £100 Yes £100 getting to the hotel and then into Brussels centre in a taxi.
You were ripped off mate. When I went we got a combined Eurostar/Hotel deal, very good price. Eurostar stops on the outskirts where you have to change to another train (included in the ticket price) to get to the central station. Hotel was few minutes walk from both the station and Grand Place (centre of Brussels). Public transport was easy to get around on if you use a bit of common sense. Most stuff within the centre is walkable anyway.

As for everything else, no worse than London prices.

The weak pound against the Euro hasn't helped things and petrol over there is expensive
Petrol is expensive here too Use public transport anyway.

Maybe try using public transport, i couldn't figure it out as i cant speak or read any French.
Phrase book, guide book and common sense

Beer was superb though! surprisingly the waffles were crap over there.
Beer is the main reason to go to Belgium Don't know where you bought your waffles but they were ace too. We was over for my birthday so for breakfast went to a place recommended in the guide book for the best waffles. Smothered in hot chocolate sauce, ice cream and cream, I had mine with advocaat on too. Hmmmm alcoholic breakfast

Visited the Cantillon brewery, well worth a look if you interested in the beer. Chocolate museum for the missus(ok but wouldn't bother again). Also went to the Atomium, was good but nothing special. Need to get a train there but again straight forward...

Lots of other museums to look at if that's your thing. Plenty of good places to eat to.

We only stayed for 2 days, so apart from the centre can't really recommend anywhere to go
If you are there for 5 days then Bruges is also supposed to be very nice, may be worth having a couple of days there. Easy enough to get a train there from Brussels by all accounts.
Old 11 August 2008, 02:53 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Go to Bruge. It's like a fairytale, with cobbled streets n sht.
Old 11 August 2008, 02:55 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, go to grand place, and have a wander around the side streets. Make sure you go to Delirium Café 2000 different beers in stock Hours of fun in there.

Its very safe, very pretty town. Plenty of restaurants around the area to cater for all tastes.

As for prices, its not majorly expensive. Eating around grand place can be a bit more as thats where all the tourists head. Try wandering further afield if you want to save a few quid.
Old 11 August 2008, 02:56 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Film some midgets? IN BRUGES - IN CINEMAS APRIL 18

Roy