Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Florida property crash.

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2008, 05:00 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida property crash.

Just can't believe the number of houses for sale out here, at knockdown prices.
One on the estate we're on, 4 bedroom/3 bath with spa and pool, foreclosure notice on the garage door, $189,000.

There are literally hundreds of similar properties all over the place.

Weather is steaming hot, heat index hit 102 yesterday.
Old 06 August 2008, 05:08 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Florida. Property. Crash.

Knockdown...

similar properties all over the place....

Sooooo a Hurricane then?
Old 06 August 2008, 06:11 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Florida. Property. Crash.

Knockdown...

similar properties all over the place....

Sooooo a Hurricane then?

If youe trust the weathermen, sorry trained meteorologist, out here, then maybe.

However, in the 7 days we've been here they've been tracking:

1 Tropical storm Eduardo. " Could be coming our way ", but ended up going in the complete opposite direction.
2. Numerous atlantic depressions.
3. On shore breezes.
4. North African waves that "may develop into something " But don't.

Courtesy of Bay news 9 Weather on the nines.
Old 06 August 2008, 06:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quite a lot of them seem to track across the gulf up towards Houston if im right ...

Ive been in Boston in similar temperatures not completly sure id want to be in Florida in the same even with a pool but the prices are tempting its got to be said - my pa lives 2 states up and its been in the 90's there for weeks on end apparently ..!
Old 06 August 2008, 06:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

the houses are built for them hurricanes anyway

If you are planning to buy out there it is certainly a good time, although who knows if it is going to get better? the only thing that kills the ownership is the amount of time able to spend there and the distance, although it is one of my favorite places and I would buy there if I had the money.... or could get around those minor issues.
Old 06 August 2008, 06:59 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Pah, only 102 degrees, we hit 108 when we were in the US
Old 06 August 2008, 07:10 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Pah, only 102 degrees, we hit 108 when we were in the US
Ah, but it's the humidty Sal! Nice dry desert air in California.

Old 06 August 2008, 07:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We used the site you recommended to look for Florida villas and now my inbox is choked with people desperate for us to rent their villa. I guess that explains the foreclosure notice!
Old 06 August 2008, 07:22 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
We used the site you recommended to look for Florida villas and now my inbox is choked with people desperate for us to rent their villa. I guess that explains the foreclosure notice!
please send me the site you used for villas - Cheers
Old 06 August 2008, 07:28 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

46c in altimkum.
Old 06 August 2008, 07:30 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
please send me the site you used for villas - Cheers
Try my sisters Abracadabra in Orlando Florida | Vacation Homes | Villa Rentals | Property Sales & Management she has four villas with pools in KIssimme. Very close to Disney. For rental or to buy !!!
Old 06 August 2008, 08:27 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I've logged on tonight specifically to ask about property in Florida, been looking for a while now and thinking about taking the plunge. Does anyone own property out there?

Some cracking 4 bed pool villas around the $180-225,000 mark

Is it a good time to buy there? surely the only way is up in the US

What are rentals like?, i wouldn't be too bothered if it only rented out 1 week in the month as mortgage payments would only be around £450 a month and i could pay it even if it didn't rent at all.

Really thinking it might be a good idea? anyone share any experiences?
Old 06 August 2008, 09:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The number of foreclosures is rather astounding, and somewhat worrying for those losing their homes. Some may say they have only themselves to blame, but it still isn't pleasant for them.

I'm not sure what the situation is in regards to a non-resident (or at the least someone without a work permit/visa/green card) purchasing property in the US, I can see how they could be a bit funny about it, plus I'd have thought there would be US tax implications, but I could be wrong. There is also the question of a mortgage, as again, I doubt a US bank would give you an account, let alone a mortgage.
Old 06 August 2008, 09:53 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Been many, many times and I know a few people who have bought and sold over there, stayed with them in their homes etc.

The market has been a bit stale for the last 3 or 4 years, more so now though. The late 80s through to about 2000 were the boom years.

I think its a great place, plenty to see and do and easy to get flights out to all over the US with Orlando airport close by. Exchange rate is good, infact great. Orlando is fairly safe in terms of the US and its very geared up to deal with Brits etal.

The main issue, is its just too far away from the UK for me.

I am watching the french market, E180k will buy some very nice houses now.
Exchange rate is not as good but I can be there in 5 hours (flight incl check in and check out etc). USA is a 12 hour trip, easily, makes it almost impossible to just pop over for a long weekend.

The other main issue is you could never retire there if you were a UK citizen, visas are 90 days and they frown at people taking weekends off in Mexico on the 89th day and coming back in again shortly after. I know some people who tried it and were kindly asked to leave the country. In a way its silly, but thems the rules.

For me, I am looking for something I can put a bit of money into now, and then pay the rest off over the next 20 years or so. Nothing too expensive so I dont notice the money gone but then when I am 50 ish I can spend as long or as little as I want there. For me rural France is the ideal solution.

Might never happen but one can hope!
Old 06 August 2008, 10:36 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
The number of foreclosures is rather astounding, and somewhat worrying for those losing their homes. Some may say they have only themselves to blame, but it still isn't pleasant for them.

I'm not sure what the situation is in regards to a non-resident (or at the least someone without a work permit/visa/green card) purchasing property in the US, I can see how they could be a bit funny about it, plus I'd have thought there would be US tax implications, but I could be wrong. There is also the question of a mortgage, as again, I doubt a US bank would give you an account, let alone a mortgage.
My old fella bought a home in Florida around 15 years ago, took out a mortgage which was no problem and has had no problems with regards to tax or anything like that.

what you must all bear in mind though that Florida's version of the council tax is very expensive if your a non Florida resident.

If you reside in Florida you get a discount of 50 percent so basically if you live over here you pay double that of what a Floridian pays, it has really hurt some brits who rent out there home and a lot are selling adding further to the falling house prices over there.

My Dad pays over 3 grand a year in state tax
Old 06 August 2008, 10:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well I never, something the yanks make easy(ish) for non residents! You still have the "joy" of getting into the US though

There has been a bit of a decline in house prices here, which is slightly good news for us as we're looking to buy a house soon.
Old 07 August 2008, 12:10 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Good condos can be had for 50-70k now but what worries me is that certain areas are practically ghost towns as people are selling and people who own holiday homes cannot rent them out.

Davenport springs to mind!!!
Old 07 August 2008, 03:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Bit like rural France then
Old 07 August 2008, 04:26 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Good condos can be had for 50-70k now but what worries me is that certain areas are practically ghost towns as people are selling and people who own holiday homes cannot rent them out.

Davenport springs to mind!!!
That's were we are, Davenport. Not quite a ghost town, but lots of for sale signs up.

Jods, I've sent ou a PM.
Old 09 August 2008, 12:02 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Cheers FM. Looking at mopping up a 6 bed / 5 bath at bargain basement price.
Old 09 August 2008, 01:06 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Jods, can you share that link mate, i'm also looking at a bargain
Old 09 August 2008, 04:50 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Not just florida but all over U.S. Some have dropped by 25% and repossessions are at an all time high. As mentioned above check on all property taxes and local taxes you will be liable to pay. If you dont pay your taxes then you could lose your house.
Old 09 August 2008, 11:08 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Markus

We bought our place in 2002 - Had to put down 25% deposit but that was about it. Have got a Bank of America Current Account (costs $5 a month to run and no O/Draft allowed) Not sure if it would be any more difficult today but I guess you'd need to stump up some pony to keep the lender reasonably calm (my guess is 30 - 40% but as prices have dropped in a few areas - that shouldn't be a showstopper)