Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snooper C5 or Bell Euro 550..advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 12:47 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

After a speeding ticket last week I have finally decided to get a radar detector. I have been advised that the Snooper C5 or the Bell Euro 550 are the ones to buy?

Any advice please guys and girls, including experience of owners of the above.

Cheers

Phil
Old 06 February 2002, 10:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I have the Bel Euro 550. Check out this thread for some info! I know nothing about the snooper C5.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=48764

I'll post some more links to threads soon on here.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 06 February 2002, 10:54 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Can't seem to find those links with search down.

In the link above, in one of my posts, I posted that I was getting 50 metre warnings on Ku band mini gatsos. That was when I had all bands on. I had them all on cos I didn't know which bands were needed. When I found out and switched off the bands that were not needed, I started to get 200 metre warnings from Ku mini gatsos.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 06 February 2002, 11:05 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep, ditto, after my brief court appearence this week, I could do with a licence-protector!

How about the GPS devices compared to the radar detectors?
Old 07 February 2002, 09:10 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

I have the Snooper S5, and can highly recommend it.

The false positives to get a bit pi$$ing-off, but on the whole it keeps me protected on motorways and dual carriageways.

As for lazers - it picks them off from about 2 miles - and chances are that a gun aimed at someones car 2 miles away will be picked up by the snooper (its got 360 degrees pickup) - so that gives you plenty of time to react - i.e. you'll be aware that there is a speed gun in the vacinity.

Any other questions, just ask!

Old 07 February 2002, 09:54 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

All of the above Radar/Laser detectors do their job against radar/laser traps/guns, but do not warn against SPECs and VASCAR, both of which time you between two points. SPECs are warned against by the GPS based devices IF the databases are up to date , and VASCAR only by keeping your eyes peeled!

[Edited by BugEyed - 2/7/2002 9:59:46 AM]
Old 07 February 2002, 11:46 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks.

So, the GPS boxes only work on reported camera sites, so there's no detection facility for new sites, radar or laser?

Whereas units like the Bel 550 detect radar, laser (poss too late) and active cameras but not SPECS?

Seems to me, could do with a GPS unit that also detects and in the ideal world, jams!

So are radar detectors legal currently but laser jammers not?

Any recommendations for online stores?? Seen the Bel 550 for between £365-£400.

Cheers
Old 08 February 2002, 01:06 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

APJ,

Networx Automotive, http://www.networxautomotive.com, I believe still have a group buy going on the Bel Euro 550 for 320GBP VAT and delivery included. Ring them on 01555666444 and ask them about the scoonynet group buy for the Bel Euro 550.

Radar detectors are legal in the UK. GPS is also legal. Laser jammers are illegal.

Your first sentence is correct. It relies on the data base being updated with new camera locations. If you pass one that has not been included in the database and you are speeding you will not gat a warning from the GPS box.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 08 February 2002, 01:10 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Also have a look at this site. It has everything you need to know about radar detectors, tests done, what the police use, gatsos etc.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

Old 08 February 2002, 01:19 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Bel every time over Snooper - this has been talked about on a number of previous threads over the years and I'm pretty sure Snoopers got slated.

Mossman
Old 08 February 2002, 05:26 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got the Bel Euro 550 - very impressed with it. Not too many false alarms and gives you a good warning for fixed Gatso's. There are a couple on the A414 coming into Harlow that it will detect before you can even see them! Well worth it IMHO.

As regards Laser Jammers - their legality is still undecided as no test case has yet come before a court. Details can be found here for anyone who is interested.

Chris
Old 08 February 2002, 05:27 PM
danielson
Scooby Regular

I cant speak for the bell radar but if they are half as bad as the snooper I wouldnt bother with either I have just put a message on another post saying how rubbish they are and told everyone they could have my one had 1 person interested so I will start the bidding at 50p this isn't a joke
Old 08 February 2002, 07:00 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I live in Harlow in Essex and work all over London. I use a Bel 990I which is the model before the Bel 550 and find it very useful despite the numerous false alarms. As to protection where you mount it in the car makes a very big difference as to the range. The higher up on the windscreen the better and check that you wind screen is suitable because some are not and it will not work. I have been Laser Tagged a number of times and the first i new was when the Bel went off and to be honest i was lucky as i was on or below the limit but if not i would have got a ticket there was no warning until it was my to late. If you drive the same roads regularly you get use to the false alarms and notice a new one before you go by the new camera.

I have just ordered a GPS system to run along side it to help with the other types of traps e.g. Speed master and SPEC's. But in Essex the police use mobile mini gatso's so i still need the Bel and this has saved me a number of times in Harlow in recent months. I will not drive anywhere with out the Bel now as the Essex police have gone speed trap mad and in fact i drive slower since i have had it as i am much more aware of my speed.
Old 08 February 2002, 07:24 PM
LEE-69
Scooby Regular

Cool

ill up the bid to a £1.
Old 08 February 2002, 07:40 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

Danielson what have you got ? I may take my chances with it, Starting price ?
Old 08 February 2002, 11:12 PM
danielson
Scooby Regular

snooper sd715is 5 band
Old 10 February 2002, 06:51 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

So . . . the Bel 550 sounds like the business . . . it's just that compared to the sleek and sexy Geodessy . . . its a tad chunky - looking more like a 70s tape player then a product of the new millenium!

Time to dig out my Yes tapes . . .
Old 12 February 2002, 10:40 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info folks - good stuff.

Anyone got any experience of the Snooper???
Old 12 February 2002, 11:53 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

akshay67 - when do you get false alarms on the snooper? Any pattern to it?
Old 14 February 2002, 11:04 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Any more info on the snooper?
Old 02 July 2002, 01:11 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

The GPS devices, only protect you from K band gatsos. You miss out on laser and Ku band mini gatsos.

Having said that, if you had a radar detector and if you would have happened to be the first car and a copper was targeting you with laser and you were speeding, you would have been caught. If you are say the 2nd car, it will save you from the reflections it picks up off the first car when it gets targeted.

Here in Greece the officer takes 3 readings with his laser gun. So if you are first and you're speeding and you get targeted, the detector goes off, you slow down, the officer takes a 2nd and 3rd reading to make sure you were speeding but lets you go because his 2nd and 3rd reading show you were not speeding. I don't know how the officers operate in the UK. I always get targeted 3 times at laser traps.

Now to be bulletproof and not worry, but at the expense of a lot of cash, you would need,

1) a radar detector, for Ku band mini gatsos and K band handheld radar guns and laser if you are 2nd and back.

2) a laser jammer to block the reading an officer would get when targeting you with laser

3) a GPS device for K band fixed gatsos.

The radar detector does pick up the fixed gatsos. It only goes off with the live ones. Doesn't go off if the cameras are turned off. However it also picks up supermarket doors and alarms in shops/houses, cos they work on the same frequencies police radar does.

The GPS device will go off at all cameras (not mini gatsos), on or off. Provided the site it gets it's downloads from is updated regularly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 2/7/2002 1:13:44 AM]