Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 09:50 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video: Bristol man drove 145mph on motorway

Driving 145mph M4 motorway

How the Germans must scoff

Wonder how they got him? Why did he plead guilty to dangerous driving when the copper at 157mph didn't!?

D

Last edited by Diesel; 28 July 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:13 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

wonder what the coppers first words to him were?

"morning sir, Mr Mansell is it?" or something equally as sarcastic no doubt.

not like it was busy or anything is it, how many cars does the copper pass? 2!

also remember the copper who did 157mph had the law on his side, or was it the force? Besides he was just testing his vehicle
Old 28 July 2008, 11:15 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up

wat a nutter!
Old 28 July 2008, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not hard to understand why he did it since his child was having an attack and he was able to sort it out. And it was early am as well.

I think the court could have been a bit more understanding as far as the penalties went.

At normal commuting time it is one thing to do high speeds on a German autobahn where the other drivers are used to it and drive accordingly, and quite another to drive at very high speeds on our roads where other drivers are not expecting someone to be going that fast and the roads are crowded at normal times of the day.

Les
Old 28 July 2008, 01:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God, they love it when they "get one", £1700, three month suspended jail term and a two year ban, seems over the top given the circumstances of his child being ill and the time of day.

I spent two weeks panicing a while back due to an ill advised burst of speed, nothing turned up, I dont advocate speeds like that and there needs to be a deterant but that seems harsh.
Old 28 July 2008, 01:26 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Why do people always defend idiots like this? Doesn't matter what time of day it was 145 mph is excessive and he knew it.
He got off quite lightly really as he could have quite easily been jailed.
Old 28 July 2008, 01:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Why do people always defend idiots like this?
That's just because you bought a bugeye isn't it?
Old 28 July 2008, 01:33 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Yep, I'm jealous 'cause my ugly bug can't reach 145 mph
Old 28 July 2008, 01:35 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Yep, I'm jealous 'cause my ugly bug can't reach 145 mph
Glad I could help clear that up.
Old 28 July 2008, 01:42 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Oh and he was driving a BMW
Old 28 July 2008, 02:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It was excessive but it seems dissproportinate to what some other crimes seem to warrant.

I suppose we know how seriously its dealt with so there is no excuse now, so glad I didnt get caught when going far faster than a Bugeye can manage
Old 28 July 2008, 02:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
It was excessive but it seems dissproportinate to what some other crimes seem to warrant.
It was and I too used to go quicker at least once a day if I took my toy of the time out for a spin. I got caught ironically on the way home from Mallory by Mr Very Nice Old School Policeman who was a credit to his force. (long name I know but it said that on his uniform). I got off lightly compared to the chap in the article (6 points + £550 + £40 costs), but then it was circa 8 years ago now and only on the very day that the papers' headlines announced that motorists would become the equivalent to a real criminal, and receive an instant ban if they exceeded 100 MPH.

145 MPH, while excessive is very easily achievable in abnormally quick cars in a short distance and the general public will never see that and always quote the roads aren't the place no matter what excuse you have, and of course they ultimately have a good argument. I wouldn't have an ounce of interest in doing 145 MPH in the offending BMW 5 series though. However, this dash wasn't apparently for fun. In his and most parents minds it would appear he had a valid excuse to risk peddling quicker. A gamble he lost and appeared to know the moment he went past the stationary Police car judging by the time it took for them to catch up at a relatively pedestrian pace in comparison.

Still a very harsh penalty though.

I only do it now in supermarket carparks as the roads are too dangerous.
Old 28 July 2008, 04:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

wonder what the coppers first words to him were?

"morning sir, Mr Mansell is it?" or something equally as sarcastic no doubt.
Our Nige was often pulled for speeding, IIRC his last time was when he was pulled for 90 odd on the M4 IIRC.

I can just imagine the conversation now, "Who do you think you are Nigel M... ahhh"...

IIRC He was banned for that, and shortly after took himself off to live in Florida.
Old 28 July 2008, 06:25 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

If that guy was going 145, how did the police catch him so quick (even tho his car accelerates dog slow) and only maxed out at 106mph?
Old 28 July 2008, 06:51 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

If his child was that ill, the wife should have called an ambulance. With asthma there is nothing he could do that his wife couldn't.
Speed was extremley excessive (even for the time of day) and he knew it which is why the cop car caught him so quickly.

I like the way the article says it had a "personalised number plate" as if that makes a difference.
Old 28 July 2008, 07:28 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Our 530 auto shoots upto 234km/h (145mph)* very rapidly with ease and more concerningly very discreetly too; feeling more like 70mph. Compared to a 325 which is gasping for breath at 80mph and feels about as stable as a inflatable dingy caught in the wake of a cross-channel ferry.

I'm starting to think it might have been remapped, as its bit more lively than the averege 3.0 six pot Beamer (especially the autobox).

More impressively is that it will brake from that speed to zero in less than five seconds, something my scoob could never ever do.

Anyhoo, back to the crime in question: So this guy gets the book thrown at him, but what about all the Tv programs? We see with druggies, alcys, TWOC'ers, no insurance/MOT scum that walk away and often seen driving another car within a few days. Some of which give chase, damage other peoples property/endanger lives and they are never really taken too task for their actions.

Nice balanced world we live in

(* = driven in Germany)

Last edited by Shark Man; 28 July 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 28 July 2008, 07:45 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

I nudged 140 in a 540i once whilst test driving it - the speed felt like half. Absolutley effortless. Not bragging or anything just stating it as a fact.

There wasnt much on the road when he was speeding. I bet he feels less guilty than he would of if he had done the whole journey at 70 and prolonged the little lads misery.

I would of let him off with a stern bollocking myself.
Old 28 July 2008, 08:14 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

People get less for stabbing someone.
Old 28 July 2008, 09:06 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthDave
I nudged 140 in a 540i once whilst test driving it - the speed felt like half. Absolutley effortless. Not bragging or anything just stating it as a fact.

There wasnt much on the road when he was speeding. I bet he feels less guilty than he would of if he had done the whole journey at 70 and prolonged the little lads misery.

I would of let him off with a stern bollocking myself.
My ex's dad has a 530d that has an ECU upgrade/chip from BMW and it is seriously rapid....but again, very smooth. And how can people say it is a mental speed to be doing - empty motorway at night?? theres not even much skill involved in keeping it on the road...drive smooth and keep your foot planted.

Far too harsh a punishment in my opinion. If it was during the day with normal traffic on the roads then yes, its a shocking speed to be doing, but it needs to be put into perspective in this case!
Old 28 July 2008, 09:07 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
People get less for stabbing someone.
Exactly, and I bet you if anyone with half a grain of sense looked into it a much higher proportion of people who get stabbed end up dead than those who do 140 on the road. Not saying its big or clever to do 140, but its not as unsafe as most would have you believe as long as the road is long and clear and you have an appropriate car.

Still, easier to spend police time on this chap up than a gang member I suppose.
Old 28 July 2008, 09:16 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Far too harsh a punishment in my opinion. If it was during the day with normal traffic on the roads then yes, its a shocking speed to be doing, but it needs to be put into perspective in this case!
So at night with reduced visibility is better than during the day
There only needs to be one other car and you have a tragedy at those sort of speeds. That can be at any time of day or night.
Regardless of the cars effortless accelleration up to these speeds and it's effiictive braking, it still boils down to the skill of the driver.
Remember this bloke is not thinking straight IF he is truly in a rush to get back to his child and would not have a fully focused mind on the road. I have to say, he doesn't look that distraught when he's invited to the back of the police car as you'd expect somebody in that situation to be.
Old 28 July 2008, 09:59 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
So at night with reduced visibility is better than during the day
There only needs to be one other car and you have a tragedy at those sort of speeds. That can be at any time of day or night.
Regardless of the cars effortless accelleration up to these speeds and it's effiictive braking, it still boils down to the skill of the driver.
Remember this bloke is not thinking straight IF he is truly in a rush to get back to his child and would not have a fully focused mind on the road. to be.I have to say, he doesn't look that distraught when he's invited to the back of the police car as you'd expect somebody in that situation
You can tell from a 5 yard walk
Old 28 July 2008, 10:15 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the PC do gooders on this forum

Banny
Old 28 July 2008, 10:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

He took the risk and got caught.

Bad luck really, but 145mph isn't safe despite what anyone says.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No, its not "Safe" but the Germans manage it routinely, its just when it does go wrong, it goes wrong in a big way and drivers over here aren't used to that kind of velocity.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
He took the risk and got caught.

Bad luck really, but 145mph isn't safe despite what anyone says.
FB, neither is 40 MPH in the hands of Mr and Mrs Useless. As J4CKO says the only big difference is the speed you arrive at the accident, should it go wrong.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:46 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

145 mph excesive ? are people saying that because we have an outdated 70mph limit ? I'd rather have the motorways full of cars that can sustain this kind of speed and drivers with the level of concentration that doing 145mph demands. Instead we have roads full of brain dead sheep who only measure 'good' or 'bad', 'safe' or 'unsafe' driving by whether or not they are within the speed limit.

If throughout history we had tailored progress to suit the lowest common denominator we would still be walking everywhere or maybe, just maybe, some daring soul would be riding a horse (at a walking pace of course)

I'm not saying that road / weather / traffic conditions should be ignored but if you are going to speed anywhere, a motorway is probably the place to do it.

The 30mph limit has a reduction in pedestrian deaths to back it up (ie facts !) whereas the 70mph limit has nothing to conclude it is any safer than 80mph, 90mph, etc. Better driver training and observation are what is needed, not nanny state blanket speed limits. The cars get safer, faster, handle better and yet we have a motorway limit from a time when most cars had drum brakes ? Get real !
Old 28 July 2008, 10:50 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

I love this forum,,,,,,most of us drive or have driven some kind of fast/sports car,i cant be arsed with all the speed limit do-gooders,as soon as someone goes over the limit there treated like a murderer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm a really bad person because i drove flat out in a thirty,when my wife was dying in hospital giving birth to our twins(wont go into to many details),,,,,,,,,but unless something happens to you,like it did with me,you'll never know

PS,i've lost family and friends in rta's
Old 28 July 2008, 10:52 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheVoices
145 mph excesive ? are people saying that because we have an outdated 70mph limit ? I'd rather have the motorways full of cars that can sustain this kind of speed and drivers with the level of concentration that doing 145mph demands. Instead we have roads full of brain dead sheep who only measure 'good' or 'bad', 'safe' or 'unsafe' driving by whether or not they are within the speed limit.

If throughout history we had tailored progress to suit the lowest common denominator we would still be walking everywhere or maybe, just maybe, some daring soul would be riding a horse (at a walking pace of course)

I'm not saying that road / weather / traffic conditions should be ignored but if you are going to speed anywhere, a motorway is probably the place to do it.

The 30mph limit has a reduction in pedestrian deaths to back it up (ie facts !) whereas the 70mph limit has nothing to conclude it is any safer than 80mph, 90mph, etc. Better driver training and observation are what is needed, not nanny state blanket speed limits. The cars get safer, faster, handle better and yet we have a motorway limit from a time when most cars had drum brakes ? Get real !
Someone with some sense
Old 28 July 2008, 10:54 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, I must tell the wife !

Quick Reply: Video: Bristol man drove 145mph on motorway