Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Our Council Have Fooked The Main Road..

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2008, 04:55 PM
Flat Mat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our Council Have Fooked The Main Road..

Please help!

They have 100% fooked up our main road in to Brighton by adding bus lanes etc.

See:- Lights and bus lane cause roads chaos (From The Argus)

The whole area is gridlocked... it is a Total Joke.

They have made two lanes in to one in certain areas, added traffic lights to areas that had roundabouts (that worked) and narrowed lanes all over the place.

[B]Please feel free to help my cause and leave the council a message on the Argus site.

If your council is thinking of doing this, be scared...... It's utter c r a p.

Last edited by Flat Mat; 25 July 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Word
Old 25 July 2008, 05:30 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

LOL, you couldn't make it up could you? Thick idiots. I don't envy you, I really don't.
Old 25 July 2008, 05:49 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Same story up and down the country.

That's what you get when you put a load of sandal wearing, tree hugging, do-gooding cyclists in charge of the roads.
Old 25 July 2008, 05:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Same story up and down the country.

That's what you get when you put a load of sandal wearing, tree hugging, do-gooding cyclists in charge of the roads.
Exactly!
Old 26 July 2008, 01:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Those types hate car drivers anyway, I bet they are loving it really!

Les
Old 26 July 2008, 04:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i'd like to see how much the designers of these road layouts are on a year, i would imagine lots for what normally screws up a perfectly good traffic system

some pleb, who i would guess has never even been to the area to see where all the traffic comes from and goes to, has made a right ***** of a r/bout system coming off and on the A2 so you get heavy congestion in both directions along the linking road. before? yep, you guessed it, no real problems.

and they call it progress
Old 26 July 2008, 04:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

foofing glad i dont have to go into Brighton everyday (from Seaford)...or worse still try to get out in the rush hour ...

Hey but itll save your average bus passenger 5 minutes maybe even 6

somebody hasnt got their sums right is what im seeing

Doesnt excuse the bmw X5 ( well it would be a beemer driver wouldnt it )

cruising up the bus-lane earlier....

Last edited by dpb; 26 July 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 26 July 2008, 04:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

WTF is a "sustainable corridor scheme"

god, you can tell this loony bunch dreamt this up on a diversity outreach bonding day cant you

and the most galling thing. its your money thats paid for this **** up.

will anyone be accountable

will they ****

mart
Old 26 July 2008, 04:13 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

lol, I visit Sleaford from time to time and they have a brand new set of traffic lights, Im told all in its cost over 200k and they have been switched on once, there now covered over and are due to be removed asap,
thats where the cash is going, into millions of stupid PROJECTS that will help,
How can adding set after set of lights and reducing the amount of actual roads there is be helping?
Old 26 July 2008, 04:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by mart360
WTF is a "sustainable corridor scheme"

god, you can tell this loony bunch dreamt this up on a diversity outreach bonding day cant you

and the most galling thing. its your money thats paid for this **** up.

will anyone be accountable

will they ****

mart

Ta sustainable bit presumably means that they hope people will eventually get so pissed off with doubled journey times that theyll resort to the bus instead breathing easy in the knowledge that theyve just save the planet from imminent destruction
Old 27 July 2008, 12:08 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Probably the same designer who decided lights on the roundabout at Polegate were a good idea! Glad now I didn't end up buying in Peacehaven in the end.
Old 27 July 2008, 12:36 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

they did where i live and it lasted 6 months before it got replaced, basically they make the bustops stick out so busses dont pull in and so they slow the traffic, utter stupid idea
Old 27 July 2008, 12:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sometimes I think they mess for the sakes of messing; Like some **** car owners change the oil every 3months for no real reason other than "just because".

Some of the best road layouts for smooth taffic flow under high load were built in the late 1960's and 70's. Who'd of thought a 50yr old infrastructure could handle 100times if not 1000 times the original volume that it was designed for? Spaghetti Junction as chaotic as it is is a marvel that it works, The main roads in Telford or Redditch all are built with fast continuial traffic flow in mind.

And then look at what they build today. The new by-passes round by me don't ease congestion at all; they just move it. The islands are designed at such an entry angle and lane layout that its difficult to merge with traffic.

Traffic light controlled islands have incorrect lane layouts.

Traffic lights are phased to create "stop-go" scenarios (good for the enviroment ), many new systems have had costs cut by using infra red detectors instead of ground sensor loops, meaning the system has poor feedback of traffic congestion and cannot self-adjust properly (if at all - if its been configured or installed wrong). And systems with ground loops are often not working correctly due to workmen cuting through the ground loop wiring.

Junctions designed in the 70's to merge traffic have been re-aligned to resemble a T-junction; making merging impossible, causing further congestion.

Removal of "give way" left turn filter lanes at traffic light controlled junctions - so traffic turning left now has to needlessly stop on red lights when it could previously give way and merge with traffic regardless of the traffic lights.

Pedestrian crossings situated within 10ft of the exits of roundabouts- causing hazards for both drivers and pedestrians where someone checking mirrors when exiting may not immediately see a pedestrian crossing; or immediately see a car ahead stopping for pedestrians - as they are busing making sure no feejit cyclist is hiding in their blind spots.

Bus lanes on already congested roads - say no more

Who edcutaed these civil engineers? Whay don't they have the forward thinking and common sense that their predacessors had when modifying or building roads? Instead of improving old infrastructures they seem to undermine it all and make it worse.
Old 27 July 2008, 01:15 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

instead of moaning and sending emails, have any of you ever thought of joining the council, running for MP? I really don't see how any sane person wouldn't vote for someone that has common sense?

The reason why I ask, is that I think i do want to join my local council but know **** all about it!