Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Exercise Bikes - Yes or No??

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 10:15 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exercise Bikes - Yes or No??

Needing to lose weight and have cut out the crisps, biscuits etc, doing the salad and fruit malarky for my working food breaks, but after 4 weeks (I know it's not a long time ), not much is happening after an initial opening week loss. Had 3 static weeks and it's getting rather boring.

So, I was considering buying myself an exercise bike so I can get a bit more done. By the time the wife gets in from work with us having 2 kids, I find it tough to get out on the mountain bike, so with an exercise bike, the kids can mess on in the house while I'm putting in the miles

So, what I really want to know is are exercise bikes worth it for guys in my position of being tied to the house?? Do you get a decent workout off them, without having to be sitting there for 2 hour stints?? Not looking to win next years Tour de France, just get the old heart going...

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:17 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Too be honest, I find I can only manage 10 minutes before I get bored, but usually push myself to do 30 mins, but if I go out on a road bike, I can easily do 3 hours as there is more to keep you occupied such as following a route, dodging traffic etc.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

A bit of decent paced walking will have the same impact mate. But if you have to stay at home etc, then a decent exercise bike will help.

Or you could go for a higher impact diet. How much you trying to lose?
Old 24 July 2008, 10:19 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Or you could go for a higher impact diet. How much you trying to lose?
How do I know we're both going to recommend the same thing?
Old 24 July 2008, 10:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
How do I know we're both going to recommend the same thing?
lol nope, im abstaining.... oops !
Would only recommend it if things were excessive, rather than wanting to shift a few pounds.

As for exercise bikes, I can do 30 mins indoors on mine, but find my **** goes numb.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a real bike instead I got bored of mine after a few weeks and ended up taking it to the dump
Old 24 July 2008, 10:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Buy a real bike instead I got bored of mine after a few weeks and ended up taking it to the dump
He has one

Old 24 July 2008, 10:41 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to lose weight/get a decent level of fitness you need to start pushing yourself. Nevermind breaking yourself in easy...so dont bother with an exercise bike - get out on a mountainbike if you want to cycle...as you'll have the hills and wind etc giving you real resistance which will make things difficult(which is a good thing)

Start running as well. Just get motivated and do it!

I was very athletic growing up until about 15, when I started getting F*cking lazy. I got seriously into guitar playing and that took over my life. I then went off to college to do music until I was 18. When I left college at 18 I felt terrible...for the first time in my life I found I was struggling to do things that a few years ago I could do easily.

Right then I decided I had to change. Started hill walking, running...if it was a Difficult I did it.

Anyway long story short - only 3 years ago I had nothing and I was depressed. Now 21 and I feel great, fitness has changed my life.

If you push yourself hard it will feel crap at the time, but if you stick to a training schedule you WILL definetly see results quickly, and after months of it it will stop feeling crap, and you'll even start enjoying it.

Hope that helps...sorry for the mini life story but I thought it was relevant - I was as lazy and un-motivated as they come, so if I can get fit, anybody can.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:41 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
He has one

Well bloomin use it then
Old 24 July 2008, 10:45 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
If you really want to lose weight/get a decent level of fitness you need to start pushing yourself. Nevermind breaking yourself in easy...so dont bother with an exercise bike - get out on a mountainbike if you want to cycle...as you'll have the hills and wind etc giving you real resistance which will make things difficult(which is a good thing)

I was very athletic growing up until about 15, when I started getting F*cking lazy. I got seriously into guitar playing and that took over my life. I then went off to college to do music until I was 18. When I left college at 18 I felt terrible...for the first time in my life I found I was struggling to do things that a few years ago I could do easily.

Right then I decided I had to change. Started hill walking, running...if it was a Difficult I did it.

Anyway long story short - only 3 years ago I had nothing and I was depressed. Now 21 and I feel great, fitness has changed my life.

If you push yourself hard it will feel crap at the time, but if you stick to a training schedule you WILL definetly see results quickly, and after months of it it will stop feeling crap, and you'll even start enjoying it.

Hope that helps...sorry for the mini life story but I thought it was relevant - I was as lazy and un-motivated as they come, so if I can get fit, anybody can.
This is exactly what I've been doing, almost 4 weeks ago I was over 13 stone, now I'm under 11 stone and enjoying cycling, running, going to the gym and Jujutsu. Not only is my fitness increasing but my waistline is decreasing and my confidence is soaring.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

This is exactly what I've been doing, almost 4 weeks ago I was over 13 stone, now I'm under 11 stone and enjoying cycling, running, going to the gym and Jujutsu. Not only is my fitness increasing but my waistline is decreasing and my confidence is soaring.
exactly my point. Fitness can improve things a lot. As you say, confidence, and motivation - and that totally changes everything in your life...career and personal life.

Alan
Old 24 July 2008, 10:52 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Well I'm defo looking for 2 and a half stone to start with, then see how things go after that. The other problem with a real bike is, round here, you either go uphill or downhill (which means uphill coming back) and 17 and a half stone and hills don't go well together when you haven't exercised at all for over 4 years Not chickening out, but it's easy to lose interest when you feel like you're dying.

A mate at work mentioned a gym, but that is defo out, done it before and I found it dull and would rather watch grass grow, and was pleased when I broke my wrist which saw out my membership lol.

Looks like I'll just have to cut down even more on the scran

Cheers for the replies peeps

Andy
Old 24 July 2008, 10:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

exactly my point. Fitness can improve things a lot. As you say, confidence, and motivation - and that totally changes everything in your life...career and personal life.

Alan
I'm able to easily pass the fitness test requirements for the career I'm applying for so that's definately true. After that it's time to go womanising
Old 24 July 2008, 10:57 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

I like your style, and you're probably right, but the kids factor ties me to the house a bit, so I cannot just come in from graft and out on the bike. Running is defo out cos I have an achilles problem, which is probably the start of the weight gain when I had to give up regular 5 a side.

Just going to have to work something out, even if it's wife comes in as I'm pedalling out of the driveway lol.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

After that it's time to go womanising
Too right!
Old 24 July 2008, 11:06 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I have an exercise bike but have found the main problem with it is that it's too easy to not pedal very hard, even though you can increase the resistance I just end up going slower to compensate. After quite a few months of an hour a day on the bike with not much to show for it (except for a numb bum) I decided to buy a treadmill instead - much, much better. With the treadmill I can use pre-set programs so there is no cheating, can change speeds and inclines to push myself further. After five months I have seen a massive difference with my stamina and have lost one and a half stone without changing much about my eating habits (although I do eat healthily anyway). I know some people find them extremely boring but I love the 'dead' time, I get the ipod on and start running and just switch off to anything else.
Old 24 July 2008, 11:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Walwal
I like your style, and you're probably right, but the kids factor ties me to the house a bit, so I cannot just come in from graft and out on the bike. Running is defo out cos I have an achilles problem, which is probably the start of the weight gain when I had to give up regular 5 a side.

Just going to have to work something out, even if it's wife comes in as I'm pedalling out of the driveway lol.

Thanks,

Andy.
Andy

You can do it if you are motivated enough. 2 yrs ago I was totally non-exercising, sedentry and car everywhere lifestyle and about 11 & half stone. I don't do running either but bought a cross-trainer cheap off eBay (people buy stuff then never use it, so they stick in on eBay lol), a crap rowing machine free from a friend & have a bicycle. I could always find 20 mins or so a day to spend on one of them. Over the summer, cut back on the beer & lost a stone easily then after 6 months got a bench & some weights off a chap on SN and started karate. Put some weight back on but its muscle not fat.

I guess the karate you would need to negotiate with the missus, I did, but everything else takes place in/around the home. Always try & do something every day. Most mornings its 150 press-ups/sit-ups and squats, which I do in my bedroom before I shower. Spent an hour in my "gym" this evening - weights/rowing machine & stretching, which I try and do 3 times a week.

It is doable, its just a matter of wanting to do it, then adjusting your lifestyle to fit. I too have a wife/child/job & I drive 150 miles a day into/out of London.

Enjoy it and once you've started, it becomes both a habit & an addiction.
Old 24 July 2008, 11:58 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Andy. I think there has been alot of good advice here so far, and I'm seriously in no real position to help too much as I'm a chubby one, and I'm yet to find some way of losing weight, but here goes, only my 2 pence. I can't see any harm in getting some equipment for home whether it be bike, rower etc. but is it not worth trying to get out as a family, even if only a couple of times a week swimming. Yes it means paying out, and may not be practical all the time, but maybe your wife could watch the kida while you have a good swim, it doesn't put alot of strain on the body, but apparently it's a good form of exercise. This may be more do-able than bike riding after work.

Sorry to those in the know if this is a stupid idea, just personally thought it's worth considering.
Old 25 July 2008, 12:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a real bike and a turbo-trainer

Best of both worlds ..!
Old 25 July 2008, 12:24 AM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Hi Andy. I think there has been alot of good advice here so far, and I'm seriously in no real position to help too much as I'm a chubby one, and I'm yet to find some way of losing weight, but here goes, only my 2 pence. I can't see any harm in getting some equipment for home whether it be bike, rower etc. but is it not worth trying to get out as a family, even if only a couple of times a week swimming. Yes it means paying out, and may not be practical all the time, but maybe your wife could watch the kida while you have a good swim, it doesn't put alot of strain on the body, but apparently it's a good form of exercise. This may be more do-able than bike riding after work.

Sorry to those in the know if this is a stupid idea, just personally thought it's worth considering.
Swimming is something I hadn't considered if I'm honest, and I live less than a mile from a pool LOL.

Thanks for the idea, defo worth considering, I used to love a trip to the baths when I was a young 'un

Been some great advice here guys, I thank you all, I've made my mind up not just to cut back more on the food, got to get off my *** and do something, be it swimming on a weekend and biking maybe a couple of nights once the wife's in, or even the sit-ups/press ups (must be 20 years since I tried them lol).

Appreciate the input

Andy.