Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

*RAF* Anyone from here from Marham

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 05:42 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *RAF* Anyone from here from Marham

Just wondered if anyoe on here is from RAF Marham i've just found out i'm being posted to TSF at Marham i'm assuming it stands for Tornado Servicing Flight, i'm not very chufed about it as it's going to be second line working with BAE. If anyone is from Marham is it as bad as they say ?
Old 24 July 2008, 05:48 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

ATTAC at Marham..... as bad as who says?
Old 24 July 2008, 05:51 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It's in the middle of nowhere, all the hangers are circa 1930, the accommodation is on par with the hangers, the locals have webbed hands.... and everyone walks everywhere REALLY SLOWLY
Old 24 July 2008, 05:56 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Everyone i know says Marham is the pits, i know i've gotto wait and see but i've head storys of being stuck in a 32 man room when i arrive and generally the accomodation being generally ****e and the chance of getting a super block in the next 2 years are pretty slim. I don't know much about the job i'm going to be doing but if it's anything like HMF (Harrier maintainence flight) which is similar i'm not looking forward to going. Can you shed any light ?
Old 24 July 2008, 06:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Not on that end of the accommodation

It's a partnered environment BAES/RAF with most of the resource being provided through BAES as part of a service enhancement package.

The station is attempting to fund a new sports facility on the area just to the right of the inner gate with indoor pool and gym, but that's years away yet!

DCI
Old 24 July 2008, 06:19 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Well i'll probably see your scoob driving around when iget there in November, just gonna get my head down and try and bugg people to get on a sqn, hopefully their might be some crazy fools who want a swap but my problem is going to be having no expearience on Tornado's. Carn't be doing with being stuck in a hanger day in day out without the chance of a juicy det being dangled in front of me.
Old 24 July 2008, 06:35 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Daughters friend was posted there in March - June time ... he hated it.
Old 24 July 2008, 06:44 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Tis pants me old fruit. From the other TASF (err sorry i mean AMF) of a much more northern persuasion, be prepared for BAE bull, ie risk assessment for every time you go on top of the jet. The days of getting a pile of MS cards and battering through them in half the time allocated are gone. If you get a job that takes 20 mins, you do it in 5 mins then sit down for 15 until you get your next job.

BAE have turned the place into utter pants. Where we have binned in all but name the pulse system and returned to team servicings as well as sacking off lean and 6s, they are still persisting with it.

Depending on you trade i do know of a sqn that has a huge amount of techies required (riggers down to 20% manning as of next month) but that would require a move north.

Last edited by rob878; 24 July 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 24 July 2008, 06:54 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
It's in the middle of nowhere, all the hangers are circa 1930, the accommodation is on par with the hangers, the locals have webbed hands.... and everyone walks everywhere REALLY SLOWLY
Sounds like all the Raf stations I have been posted to!
Old 24 July 2008, 07:05 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I spent 4 months there in 1994.

It felt like 40 years.........

Literally in the middle of nowhere.

How I miss the RAF.
Old 24 July 2008, 07:26 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob878
Tis pants me old fruit. From the other TASF (err sorry i mean AMF) of a much more northern persuasion, be prepared for BAE bull, ie risk assessment for every time you go on top of the jet. The days of getting a pile of MS cards and battering through them in half the time allocated are gone. If you get a job that takes 20 mins, you do it in 5 mins then sit down for 15 until you get your next job.

BAE have turned the place into utter pants. Where we have binned in all but name the pulse system and returned to team servicings as well as sacking off lean and 6s, they are still persisting with it.

Depending on you trade i do know of a sqn that has a huge amount of techies required (riggers down to 20% manning as of next month) but that would require a move north.
I'll be fresh out of Cosford, i'll of just finished my second stint back there doing the techie part of my training, so i'll be a multi-skilled Mech when i leave in November. The postings we got were truly pants, 5 of us got TSF at Marham, 2 of us got GSF at Marham, 4 got XS chinnoks, 1 got 33 sqn pumas, 1 got 28 sqn merlins, 1 PASF at benson, and anthoer at MESF at Benson. So only 6 of us got 1st line which is pants, on the 2 courses that have got there postings not one single person from the mech trade got 1st line fast jet. I'm proper pissed off with my posting not so much Marham, just second line and having to work for civvies. When i was at cottesmore, HMF was the pits, PVR cenral, luckily i was on sqn there so i could laugh at them, now the boots on the other foot, and it doesn't feel good.
Old 24 July 2008, 07:33 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Just dig in.

Go there moaning will have you as tea boy!

Teas and keys, as it used to be called
Old 24 July 2008, 07:36 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BooSH
I'll be fresh out of Cosford, i'll of just finished my second stint back there doing the techie part of my training, so i'll be a multi-skilled Mech when i leave in November. The postings we got were truly pants, 5 of us got TSF at Marham, 2 of us got GSF at Marham, 4 got XS chinnoks, 1 got 33 sqn pumas, 1 got 28 sqn merlins, 1 PASF at benson, and anthoer at MESF at Benson. So only 6 of us got 1st line which is pants, on the 2 courses that have got there postings not one single person from the mech trade got 1st line fast jet. I'm proper pissed off with my posting not so much Marham, just second line and having to work for civvies. When i was at cottesmore, HMF was the pits, PVR cenral, luckily i was on sqn there so i could laugh at them, now the boots on the other foot, and it doesn't feel good.

depending what you are looking for, PASF is approaching the cushiest job in the RAF. Mate of mine has just returned north after being there for 8 months. Half day fridays etc and work is relaxed (a hell of a lot more relaxed than Marham)

The downside is the price of booze though. Even the NAAFI is expensive (well it is too a tight **** like moi)

What phases do you have left as a couple of my mates are working at Mech TS and i require a bit of **** taking done. They keep tempting me with offers of instructor duties, but that ain't going to happen.
Old 24 July 2008, 07:49 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob878
depending what you are looking for, PASF is approaching the cushiest job in the RAF. Mate of mine has just returned north after being there for 8 months. Half day fridays etc and work is relaxed (a hell of a lot more relaxed than Marham)

The downside is the price of booze though. Even the NAAFI is expensive (well it is too a tight **** like moi)

What phases do you have left as a couple of my mates are working at Mech TS and i require a bit of **** taking done. They keep tempting me with offers of instructor duties, but that ain't going to happen.
Just finished the rigger phase most of the instructers hae been pretty sound with us, there have been a couple of *** heads but that didn't stop us ripping em to bits, i went through the banter/bullying and **** taking phase on the line at Cottesmore which has set me up for the rest of my career. Who do you know at mech TS i might of had em for a lesson or 2. Starting the sootie suff when i get back off leave i hope they aint sootie instucters you know because the vast majority are big red bell ends.
Old 24 July 2008, 07:56 PM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BooSH,
Ignore Rob878 You're not going into CMU anyway, TSF is different. PM me.

Pete.
Old 24 July 2008, 09:29 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pete N
BooSH,
Ignore Rob878 You're not going into CMU anyway, TSF is different. PM me.

Pete.
I bow to you superior knowledge , my long range telescope to the middle of the web fingered GR buggering world is a tad dusty. Mind you at a camp that managed to shoe horn in most the Tonka bays from across the raf fleet you have more TLA's than you can shake at, and those TLA's change daily. TSF was and always will be Tornado Servicing Flight, Which for the rest of the known world was changed to AMF as we don't Service but Maintain.

Still if the might of some kind of RAF rumour site, including some Swampland inhabitants are having trouble identifying where the bloke is going a F3 nobber, such as myself, isn't going to have a chance.

Still crack on i wonder saluting the SQn bosses cars is still in operation. The nightmare of the sharp end

Last edited by rob878; 24 July 2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 25 July 2008, 04:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I did a tour there some years ago. It was just like DCI said. I was glad to get back to good old Waddo.

Les
Old 25 July 2008, 10:15 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Well I quite like Marham. Mind you, I'm only there 2 days of the year and spend all my time going sideways around a temporary circuit for their legendary charidy track days.