Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone 3G and o2 insurance. I'm so ANGRY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 01:25 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post iPhone 3G and o2 insurance. I'm so ANGRY!!!!

So 7 months ago I purchased an iPhone and when in the store the assistant asked me whether I wanted insurance so I said yes.

On my reciept is says "iPHONE INSURANCE REQUESTED Insurance requested in store. You must register your o2 airtime account within 72 hours of purchase to validate your policy" I registered my phone literally an hour after purchasing the phone so assumed I was insured.

A week ago I purchased the new iPhone 3G online and wasn't given the option to have insurance so I assumed my insurance would carry over to my new iPhone. Being a prat I managed to smash my screen today and called o2 to ask if I could claim on my insurance, I was told I have never had insurance and I will need to buy a new handset at list price when they become avaliable. This could cost £400

I've been with o2 for at least 8 years and think its disgusting customer service and feel like leaving o2!!

Am I in the wrong?
Old 21 July 2008, 01:27 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Did you buy the phone with a credit card? You are covered on that against accidental damage.

What did you do to smash the phone?!

Steve
Old 21 July 2008, 01:30 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've read somewhere that the 3G's screen is easier to replace than the old model, so might not cost too much to repair.
Old 21 July 2008, 01:40 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Caveat Emptor

Presumably you should have been paying for this phone insurance that you thought you had. Did you not notice that the payment was missing from the monthly bill?

It's up to you to make sure it's covered, sounds like they made a mistake but you should have spotted it earlier and sorted it out.

Anyway they've probably done you a favour as phone insurance is a massive rip off, £9-£10 a month to insure a phone, don't think so. If you are very clumsy then it may pay off otherwise stick the money in a high interest savings account on the off chance that you do break you phone. Hopefully you'll then have the money to replace it. Use an old phone for now or get a cheapy on eBay, then when all the iPhone 3G hype has died down you'll be able to get another one cheap enough.
Old 21 July 2008, 01:59 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Sucker is a term that springs to mind!
Old 21 July 2008, 02:18 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Did you buy the phone with a credit card? You are covered on that against accidental damage.

What did you do to smash the phone?!

Steve
No bought with my debit card. It was in my pocket in my combats and I held a door open with my leg forgetting the phone was in there and cracked the screen. Screens are definately weaker in the new ones. Just been to o2 and have just payed all the insurance money I owed them from november which was £65 and now waiting for my new iPhone 3G to be delivered. CASE CLOSED!!
Old 21 July 2008, 02:31 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Durable then

Could get it repaired, but going by the cost of the touch screen for the iPhone; its not going to be cheap: iPhone Spares and Parts service - buy purchase iphone lcd display screen touch screen iphone back cover spares parts to buy purchase iphone parts head phone sockets connectors iphone parts and spares iphone antenna cover iphone sim tray

£144.25 or £76.38 if its just the LCD

Owch.

Just to think I repaired a W880 that had been in the washing machine for £15 (new mic and speaker).
Old 21 July 2008, 05:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just claim on your house insurance But once you recieve a new phone you would have to sign up to a new 18month contract to activate it meaning your gonna be on contract for a long time if things like this keep happening