Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dammit, think I've bought the wrong phone.

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2008, 01:29 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dammit, think I've bought the wrong phone.

Anyone ever had that feeling?

There I was umming and arring between a Samsung Soul and a SE c902 for my 12month contract renewal, and ended up with the c902 to replace my SE W880i. Now I've had a day's worth of playing, I've changed my mind

Sure it does what the w880i did but better 5mp camera, flash (or torch ..yay! The most usefull feature to be put on a phone ....even if I can't shortcut directly to it like you can with the w800/K750 ) etc.

But the buttons aren't as nice to use, I can't remap the WAP button to something else, I can't shortcut directly to the Music player (can only go as far as media), no "play now" to stop/start music. And now I've just played with the software. Christ, I thought Disc2Phone was slow. Media manager is even worse, buggy as hell (crashed 4 times thus far - latest version too), file conversion is soo slow. And the file transfer speed isn't much better (USB 2.0 my ****).

Then it wants money off me to "go Pro" f**K that. All the included games are demos...I have the buy the rest. Not even that Tetris musical notes thingy game is on there.

Then there are four different transfer modes - media mode, mass transfer mode, print mode and phone mode...WTF W880 was bad enough, with two! I thought it was just Nokia that only did illogical stuff like this.

To cap it off there is a pungent smell of burning plastic when its been connected to the USB for a period of time. Which can't be good.

So, does anyone think the Samsung Soul would have been any better? It's certainly less geeky. Plus its a flip phone, so wont have me racking up internet charges every time I put it in the pocket before the keypad lock has kicked in

Hopefuly the burning smell will manifest into a molten phone by tomorrow so I can swap it.

(and for those wondering the point of this thread, hey if Snazy does it.... )
Old 19 July 2008, 01:43 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

everyone must vent good sir LOL

i must admit the souls do appeal to me , i have a viewty im not to impressed with
Old 19 July 2008, 01:56 AM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

To cap it off there is a pungent smell of burning plastic when its been connected to the USB for a period of time. Which can't be good.
So glad to hear it's not just mine then!

Never had a Sony phone before and I quite like it, having said that my old phone struggled to even make calls, and after each call it would turn itself off. It had a 1.2meg camera but no flash and was just pretty dated.
Old 19 July 2008, 02:22 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

shark man to turn the wap button off just go into settings and select a different wap profile in settings
Old 19 July 2008, 04:40 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

sorry to say this mate but my g/f just took a samsung soul on an 18 mth with vodaphone and i have to say i was well impressed. it seems to be very intuitive when using the menus, nice touch screen but i think the vibrating touch pad would get on my nerves after a bit. 5mp camera is quite good, the light being more a torch than a flash, flip that locks right away, nice screen. she upgraded from an LG Prada that i had for about a week but got rid off as it was fatally flawed. the LG was nice to look at, lovely screen, but just to buggy. i don't know if LG improved on it with the Viewty (i suspect not). i went back to O2 with the new Sony P1i and gave the prada to her. nothing from LG, nokia even iphone have that wow factor for me and my last 5 phones have been sony.

the sales assistant gave her a free PAYG vida sim that i stuck in the prada. she stuck me on friends and family and now all calls to her via the prada are free though i dont know if thats such a good thing

do you not have a 30 day cooling off period with the contract? could your vendor not swap it for something you like or have spent a little more time researching. these spur of the moment, impulse buys with new phones invariably end up in tears and you are stuck with a phone you hate for a minimum 12 months.
Old 19 July 2008, 08:26 AM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Got Wifey a Samsung Soul a few months back - Nice Phone!

The vibration on the touch screen is there so you know when you're pressing it, but the amount of vibration can be adjusted or turned off. Also the sensitivity of the touch screen is adjustable. It looks and feels a smart phone with a nice quality feel to it.

I've given up on SE phones now, and have returned to the Nokia family - Got an N82 Black and love it. Apart from the usual phone features thatare all working fine and dandy, I find wi-fi comes in very handy when out and about thanks to people not securing their wi-fi networks plus there's loads of official free wi-fi spots. Downloaded Opera for browsing and its brill. GPS comes in handy too!

Bit too chunky for my wife, but its perfect for me, the best mobile I've owned in nearly 20 years . I wish I still had my original Motorola brick - £25 per month line rental, NO free mins and all calls 50p per minute. Those were the days!

Old 19 July 2008, 08:28 AM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

ooops forgot to mention, the Soul's camera is pretty pants for a 5mega camera. My N82 camera blows it out of the water!
Old 19 July 2008, 08:56 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

14 days to swap if not happy.
Old 19 July 2008, 10:43 AM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

7 days on my Orange upgrade, guess it differs across the board.

I'd imagine 7 days is minimum so surely you can send it back Shark Man?
Old 19 July 2008, 10:51 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I checked last night and its 7 days "Provided I haven't used it" (Returns & repairs - O2 - Other services - Returns & repairs )

I suppose its down to them how they interpret the word "used". I wonder if thats why they put tamperproof stickers on the box that comes up "void" once its been opened.

I guess I'll have to drag my **** down there and see what they say....

Would be easier if the phone went into melt-down though: 30days, no quibble
Old 19 July 2008, 10:55 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nokia 1100 has a torch
Old 19 July 2008, 10:57 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've figured how to do it on the c902: I just have to make sure its left in movie mode with the light switched on, so it comes on straight away whenever I open the camera. As it won't manually activate in camera mode.
Old 19 July 2008, 11:42 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have almost gone back to basics with phones these days. After getting rid of the N95 I have decided that im not actually that fussed as long as it texts and makes calls.

Done the same thing as you though, getting a phone then realising it was pants with a Nokia a few months back. Now replaced that with a 6500 classic for now. But an upgrade is due soon so who knows.

The Soul looks a VERY impressive phone, and I am almost tempted to break free of Nokia to give it a go, if you do get one let us know how it is

Thanks for the mention too Cheek !
Old 19 July 2008, 11:59 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I have just returned from the store of O2 that sells the phones and the what nots.
Me and Mrs Abdabz to be in 19days time both were eligible to upgrade.
Mrs Abdabz to be in 19days went for a Samsung because it does slidey things and as with all Samsungs they are powered by oestrogen.
I got a Nokia 6220 classic as it is a mans phone rolled on the thighs of a virgin before being boxed up.

SE were the brand of choice for me for many years, but last year I get a walkman slim thing W880i and it was utter garbage, kept turning itself off randomly, forgetting it's chosen profile / theme, losing pics then finding them again - just dross... Once bitten twice shy. Clearly, SE now have their phones made by the people not skilled enough to even get an interview at Remploy.

Still, each to their own - and if men owning Samsungs or any gender owning SE's is your bag, then wear it with pride
Old 19 July 2008, 04:23 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone ever had that feeling?

There I was umming and arring between a Samsung Soul and a SE c902 for my 12month contract renewal, and ended up with the c902 to replace my SE W880i. Now I've had a day's worth of playing, I've changed my mind

Sure it does what the w880i did but better 5mp camera, flash (or torch ..yay! The most usefull feature to be put on a phone ....even if I can't shortcut directly to it like you can with the w800/K750 ) etc.

But the buttons aren't as nice to use, I can't remap the WAP button to something else, I can't shortcut directly to the Music player (can only go as far as media), no "play now" to stop/start music. And now I've just played with the software. Christ, I thought Disc2Phone was slow. Media manager is even worse, buggy as hell (crashed 4 times thus far - latest version too), file conversion is soo slow. And the file transfer speed isn't much better (USB 2.0 my ****).

Then it wants money off me to "go Pro" f**K that. All the included games are demos...I have the buy the rest. Not even that Tetris musical notes thingy game is on there.

Then there are four different transfer modes - media mode, mass transfer mode, print mode and phone mode...WTF W880 was bad enough, with two! I thought it was just Nokia that only did illogical stuff like this.

So, does anyone think the Samsung Soul would have been any better? It's certainly less geeky. Plus its a flip phone, so wont have me racking up internet charges every time I put it in the pocket before the keypad lock has kicked in

Hopefuly the burning smell will manifest into a molten phone by tomorrow so I can swap it.

Sell it to me then! I'm after that phone!
Old 19 July 2008, 06:05 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

personally I don't understand why anyone buys anything other than an iphone.
Old 19 July 2008, 06:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
because they dont want something with a crap battery?
Old 19 July 2008, 09:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Crap battery! 5 hours talk time!! Do you really need more than that between charges??
Old 19 July 2008, 09:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Then there are four different transfer modes - media mode, mass transfer mode, print mode and phone mode...WTF W880 was bad enough, with two!

and none of them work !!!

what was wrong with good old file transfer (ala K750i)

one you select your chosen methodf of transfer, you have to wait for the phone to reboot, and then it hangs, doing large transfers.

MY SE K800i has been in a drawer since Dec, when i had enough and bought a Voda N95 black.

i,m waiting for CPW to start calling for upgrades, so i can tell them how crap it was

mart
Old 20 July 2008, 09:07 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

and because it's a little on the large side?
Old 20 July 2008, 10:16 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

and texting is horrendous (and this is coming from a MacFan!!! )
Old 20 July 2008, 11:10 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Because not everyone wants to have to shell out £45 a month for the 'in phone'. Yes, it maybe packed with functions, but most people just a good phone to call and txt on.

I have always been a samsung man and have just upgraded to the soul. Wow! Everything it does, it does brilliantly! Was so tempted to get the tocco but, as I mainly txt, I knew that the touch screen novelty would soon where off when it took ages to send a quick 'i'll be a bit late' txt.

It was an upgrade on t-mobile. £25 for flex 30 which gives you £140 a month credit. Plus I got free web browsing for 3 months. Funny what they can give you when you threaten to leave. Also have 14 days to send it back and cancel the renewal if I don't like it.

The soul has an excellent camera, don't listen to those who say otherwise. Before, if I went somewhere where I knew I was going to take some snaps, i'd take my dedicated digi camera. Don't think I'll need to now though. The auto focus and anti-shake functions make the camera a joy to use. And then there is the magic touch screen, which alters the options to suit what application is in use. As someone has already said, pretty much everything on the soul can be adjusted so you can make it work the way you like.

Have just started to download some mp3's onto it and the only thing i'd say is that if you get this phone, you'll need to use the micro sd card slot! The phone only comes with around 100mb, so an 8gb card from Mini SD Cards : Micro SD Card : SD Memory Cards : Memory Stick : Micro M2 Cards from MemoryBits - The one stop memory flash shop is on order.

All in all, a very satisfying phone to use, and that is after just 1 day. I'll see how I am getting on with it in a week before I make the decision to keep it.
Old 20 July 2008, 12:36 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I gave up on all the rubbish phones and trying to keep up. Now have a Nokia 6300 and it's the best phone they have made in years.

It phones, it texts, it's fast - that's all I need. Everything is is just superfluous crap that phone companies never , ever seem to be able to implement properly.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:06 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

So, what you're saying is you didn't want a phone in the first place.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

......and for 45 nicker a month yo can get a stupid amount of minutes with a cash back deal and a very reasonable phone
Old 20 July 2008, 01:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I pay £35 a month for my iPhone and get a silly amount of minutes which are discounted abroad, silly amount of text messages which are free abroad, free mobile and wireless internet, all on a device that has replaced a laptop and a games machine.

As for the iPhone being a fad, let's look back in a years time at the Soul. I have no doubt that in 6 months time it'll be forgotten by Samsung.
Old 20 July 2008, 02:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You must be a total O2 lapdog at that rate

- btw ,does it fit in your shirt-pocket
Old 20 July 2008, 02:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I officially declare this is a non-apple Zone. Even more so when Sony-Ericsson forced me to install quicktime<spits> so media manager would fuction

So, with that in mind, the next Apple fanboy to post anything Apple related gets an infraction.

Anyhoo, C902 to get swapped for Soul when its back in stock next week (doh!).
Old 20 July 2008, 02:58 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Old 20 July 2008, 03:11 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

There's nothing wrong with QT, in fact QT pro is one of the best apps of it type...

Dan

Quick Reply: Dammit, think I've bought the wrong phone.