Has anyone been to Kefalonia ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 09:39 AM
orchid35
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone been to Kefalonia ?

Hi All ,

Off on hols to Kefalonia soon , to dry out from the constant rain in good old blighty , has anyone been to Keffy , we've never been before and was hoping for some insider info on the place , ie. things to do where to visit etc etc . thanks
Old 10 July 2008, 10:26 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I went a few years back. We had three earthquakes and you have to put your loo paper in the bin Apart from that it was lovely, especially around the marina.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:36 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Stayed in Lourdas (or Lourdata) a few years ago. Lovely: nothing to do there except eat and drink in the beach bars and then go for a swim in the sea! Yeah, I know that's not a safe thing to do, but we enjoyed ourselves and no-one died. And yes, we had an earthquake too! Bit like the recent UK one but without the press hysteria. The locals don't even mention them over there. We had a hire car of course so got to see the rest of the island. Very nice: hope you have a lovely time.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:57 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

We went to Lassi about 10 years ago, there are 2 great beaches there. Had a really good holiday (no earthquakes). Worth doing the island tour or hiring a car, Fiskardo is a nice little village in the north, underground lakes were nice too.

It's a bit of a long day (2/3 hours by ferry/coach), but we did a trip to Olympia to see the original olympic site, very interesting to see the original "stadium", complete with ancient starting blocks, it's more like a big school playground really, but interesting none the less, also the structure of the baths, changing rooms etc. Also a great museum there with ludicrous amounts of chariot riders helmets (the metal kind) etc etc.
Old 10 July 2008, 11:06 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I went years ago, beautiful island. I don't know what's like now, but back then there were hardly any Brits there, which was nice.

Get a car and go around the island, particularly to Myrtos beach, spectacular.

We stayed in the main town, and the main square was excellent at night for food and not full of drunken idiots (though this may have changed since 1994!!!)

I'd really like to go back there.

geezer
Old 10 July 2008, 11:16 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Lovely place, as mentioned the underground lake is spectacular and the square in Argostoli is a great place to just chill out and people watch. Beaches in Lassi are fabulous, one thing about driving, it can be a bit hairy, both (apparently) suicidal locals and some rather large unprotected drops, (especially on the road up from Argostoli to Fiskardo via Myrtos Beach)

However the road that goes straight over the middle of the Island to Sami is not to be missed, a nice drive even in a hire car, spectacular scenery and of course the underground lake at the end of it.
Old 11 July 2008, 09:28 AM
orchid35
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all you replies , really looking forward to the holiday and was thinking about hireing a car , just got to tell the other half now !! She'll be overjoyed , don't think she was looking forward to waiting so long befor the next holiday ( went on hols in Feb next one due October ) plus she is fab and deserves it ....aww get me .

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by orchid35; 11 July 2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11 July 2008, 04:33 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

We had a house with a pool in Assos (NE of the Island near Myrtos Beach) last year which is stunning and well worth visiting. Northern end of the island is more attractive than the South imho. Caves are impressive, but only 15 mins worth. Arogostoli a bit tired tbh. Mountain roads fun. Most beaches are pebbles but still nice - a few sandy ones in the south but very busy.

Definitely need a car.

Fiskardo is nice see below - me and the two kids chucking stones in the harbour- quite Italian in feel and lively in comparison to Assos but I was there with my wife and two small kids so peaceful suited us.
Ithaca - next door island - is also pretty and worth visiting for a day trip by ferry (45 mins or so) but again you need transport.

Last edited by Fat Boy; 11 July 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11 July 2008, 04:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I believe Captain Correlli went to Kefalonia. He took a few friends with him too. And a mandolin.
Old 11 July 2008, 04:47 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't see him - what sort of boat does he have?