Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will the last person to leave the UK please switch off the lights!

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2008, 10:52 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the last person to leave the UK please switch off the lights!

It seems to me everyone is either going or thinking of buggering off to either Australia, new Zealand or Canada.

Five years ago i didn't know anyone who had emmigrated but i know at least 8 people who have either emmigrated off or are preparing to emmigrate.

I know loads more who are seriosuly considering it.

My sister told me she and her bloke are visiting Oz and are thinking of emmigrating, one of her best mates has gone to Perth.

Are that many people that fed up and dissalusioned with this country they are they are emmigrating.

It seems a lot of people that i know are just fed up with it all.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:01 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Too many people are under some delusion that their lives will magically get better when they leave the UK and that all these other countries are better.

It's definitely not the case.

What exactly is wrong with the UK? And lets be sensible about this - what affects you personally, not what you have read in the sensationalist media.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:02 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

dont worry it will all get better once the tories are in, they'll double prison numbers, cut tax, introduce a school voucher system, reform the NHS, abolish political correctness and leave the EU. Oh wait......
Old 09 July 2008, 11:05 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know many Australians and Canadians who have moved to the UK.(and NZers)
Apparently 5% of Australians at any given time do not live in Australia.
I think we can assume the lions share are in the UK as we type.
What are they, thick or something?

Last edited by cster; 09 July 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: inclusivity
Old 09 July 2008, 11:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
What are they, thick or something?
Yes.

But they are paid better over here.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:08 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

BTW are there any Kiwis, (thick)Aussies or Canucks on this forum who live in the UK?

Last edited by cster; 09 July 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: missed a trick
Old 09 July 2008, 11:12 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
BTW are there any Kiwis, (thick)Aussies or Canucks on this forum who live in the UK?
Yes, a lot of Antipodeans see going to Europe, in particular England, as a rite of passage. In the last 10-15 years it has also been pretty lucrative, and lets face it - the UK has also got a lot better in the last 20 years

But most will return to their home countries, that's probably the main difference. They aren't running away as so many Brits seem to do, they are doing it to further their experiences/careers.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:23 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Too many people are under some delusion that their lives will magically get better when they leave the UK and that all these other countries are better.

What exactly is wrong with the UK? And lets be sensible about this - what affects you personally, not what you have read in the sensationalist media.
Agreed, I left the UK in 95 and went to live in Japan, two years later i'm back here.

You know how I feel about Japan Carl but I couldnt make a decent living over there as i'm not Japanese and dont have a 100% grasp of the language.

I'd love to move somewhere we arent taxed as much, somewhere where the authoritories dont have there heads up their own backsides and somewhere where my dollars stretch a little further.

I know people who've moved to Spain only to find when they got ill, the spanish health service wasnt free.

One of my mates moved to New Zealand and now finds he cant come back here as he cant afford to.

Sure the weather sucks, the government sucks, the social climate sucks. hell everything sucks, but life isnt always better on the other side of the fence.

Japan was great, low crime, nice people (the women will make your head spin off), its a really nice country but on the downside they have earthquakes, the language is seriously hard to learn, the rainy season is worse than here and in summer the humidity will make you sweat all the time making even sleeping hard.

Sure other places are nicer but i'll stay here (until the wife gets homesick ), just planning on moving somewhere a little more rural.

mike
Old 09 July 2008, 11:24 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

What exactly is wrong with the UK?
Weather for a start, everyone in a rush, ignorance to everybody else. The list is endless.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:27 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

People I know want to move to America
Old 09 July 2008, 11:28 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Weather for a start
Yeah but if the Global warming soothsayers are right then we should end up with a climate like Spain soon
Old 10 July 2008, 12:54 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
Agreed, I left the UK in 95 and went to live in Japan, two years later i'm back here.

You know how I feel about Japan Carl but I couldnt make a decent living over there as i'm not Japanese and dont have a 100% grasp of the language.

I'd love to move somewhere we arent taxed as much, somewhere where the authoritories dont have there heads up their own backsides and somewhere where my dollars stretch a little further.

I know people who've moved to Spain only to find when they got ill, the spanish health service wasnt free.

One of my mates moved to New Zealand and now finds he cant come back here as he cant afford to.

Sure the weather sucks, the government sucks, the social climate sucks. hell everything sucks, but life isnt always better on the other side of the fence.

Japan was great, low crime, nice people (the women will make your head spin off), its a really nice country but on the downside they have earthquakes, the language is seriously hard to learn, the rainy season is worse than here and in summer the humidity will make you sweat all the time making even sleeping hard.

Sure other places are nicer but i'll stay here (until the wife gets homesick ), just planning on moving somewhere a little more rural.

mike
Sounds a bit like New Zealand mate!
Old 10 July 2008, 12:59 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I have experience of migrating to both New Zealand and Australia, can't say it's any better or worse than the UK, but I haven't lived in the uk since 1995, so that's quite some time.

Migrants are placing significant strain on infrastructure, health, transport and in particular housing.

For those who are serious about migration, I suggest you talk to as many who have migrated first before commiting yourself. It is a big change, especially if you have close friends and family, you will find the move difficult.

Anyone wanting my NZ and AU experiences please PM me.
Old 10 July 2008, 01:06 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Agree Mike - having just come back from Mexico, a couple of people at work said to me 'couldn't you just live over there?' i said 'no' dont get me wrong i detest this goverment to the core but by in large despite its faults i love this country and MOST of the people in it.

Last edited by The Chief; 10 July 2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10 July 2008, 08:17 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

British Expat Discussion Forum

Worth having a read of some of the stories here: the good, the bad and the downright terrible. There are also some links to prices and costs: how much you can expect to spend to ship out.

Best of luck if you decide to go, and even beter luck if you've got a house to sell!
Old 10 July 2008, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is because we are not so stupid that we can't see what is happening and what has been laid down for the future!

Les