Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Ransom" strip of land

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2008, 06:20 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ransom" strip of land

We own what is called a ransom strip of land about 5 feet wide at the side of our property through which someone privately is about to either trench or mole 5 new water main pipes, they don't know we own the strip and I don't know who it is at the moment but what is the ruling on them crossing the strip either underground or overground. Does a person own the ground down to a certain depth and the sky to a certain height on their property ?????

Mog
Old 06 July 2008, 06:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It's your land so they can't do anything without your permission, if you do actually own this strip of land it can be worth up to a third of the value of their plot!!

You should tell them BTW rather than appear too sneaky
Old 06 July 2008, 07:09 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Is there any reason you might not want them to be putting those pipes there ?
Is there any degree of inconvenience that might need some restitution ?

If so, then check the deeds and consult a proper lawyer. SN is probably not a reliable source of legal information
Old 06 July 2008, 07:23 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
SN is probably not a reliable source of legal information
Really? Are you sure??

Old 06 July 2008, 09:50 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

I've yet to find out who is doing this work, it appears to be some one who is trying to find the shortest (and prob only) route to the nearest water main to supply a catering business in an old brewery yard which I've heard has water supply problems. I just don't see that they should just help themselves via my property !!!!!

Mog
Old 06 July 2008, 10:07 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
I just don't see that they should just help themselves via my property !!!!!

Mog
Then speak up man!!

I've just had underground electricity to my property (not asked for) and told them they were to mole the low voltage cable under my drive (nearer the property but outside of the gates). Had I not then they'd have simply dug the driveway up and it'd have been too late to stop anything then.

However I then get told the top of the driveway near the road would need digging up for the high voltage cable to run from the road as they can't mole that. I said no problem as long as they resurfaced the whole top area and not just the width of the trench, plus they widen the whole length of the drive by a metre for my trouble.

All sorted and a nice job too.

I suspect you won't have anything damaged or changed in your case but still speak up, you own it.
Old 06 July 2008, 10:16 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give them permission to cross your land - as long as you get the work to lay the pipework.

Nick
Old 07 July 2008, 09:33 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

is it fenced? check your title to make sure nobody has given away rights through there already.

...and i'd double check that do do actually own it first if i were you. make sure you read your registered title - i have dealt with people in the past who have firmly believed that they own a section of land only to have me come along and provide them with evidence to show that they don't; they were just maintaining a patch of highways land as an extension to their own garden
Old 07 July 2008, 09:36 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Then speak up man!!

I've just had underground electricity to my property (not asked for) and told them they were to mole the low voltage cable under my drive (nearer the property but outside of the gates). Had I not then they'd have simply dug the driveway up and it'd have been too late to stop anything then.

However I then get told the top of the driveway near the road would need digging up for the high voltage cable to run from the road as they can't mole that. I said no problem as long as they resurfaced the whole top area and not just the width of the trench, plus they widen the whole length of the drive by a metre for my trouble.

All sorted and a nice job too.

I suspect you won't have anything damaged or changed in your case but still speak up, you own it.
I Concur
Old 07 July 2008, 11:57 AM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
is it fenced? check your title to make sure nobody has given away rights through there already.

...and i'd double check that do do actually own it first if i were you. make sure you read your registered title - i have dealt with people in the past who have firmly believed that they own a section of land only to have me come along and provide them with evidence to show that they don't; they were just maintaining a patch of highways land as an extension to their own garden

We moved in 18 months ago and this strip of land shows up on our land registry map/outline of our property !!!!!

Mog
Old 07 July 2008, 02:14 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
We moved in 18 months ago and this strip of land shows up on our land registry map/outline of our property !!!!!

Mog
that helps. have you read the title though? ...just so you know what rights etc may exist?
Old 07 July 2008, 02:50 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Why not just be nice and let them do it as long as they don't make a mess or cause any damage? Life is full of enough arseholes.
Old 07 July 2008, 03:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Jer
Why not just be nice and let them do it as long as they don't make a mess or cause any damage? Life is full of enough arseholes.
Is THAT what they are going to dig???

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2008, 05:15 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Tell them they can do it as long as the pipes also feed your house. Hey hey, free water!
Old 07 July 2008, 09:17 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Just found out who is doing this, he has spent £4,000 on solicitors and 2 years getting agreement from the various land owners (in exchange for money) for the route of the water main (turns out he has 5 barn conversions riding on it) and had wondered who owned the strip of land, so looks like a small consideration will be forthcoming !!!!

Mog
Old 07 July 2008, 09:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
Just found out who is doing this, he has spent £4,000 on solicitors and 2 years getting agreement from the various land owners (in exchange for money) for the route of the water main (turns out he has 5 barn conversions riding on it) and had wondered who owned the strip of land, so looks like a small consideration will be forthcoming !!!!

Mog
He needs to change his solicitors then if after 2 years they couldn't find out you owned the land.
Old 07 July 2008, 09:27 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Be careful with what they mole through, the lecky and waterboard contractors have a tendency to like moling thru the fukin gas mains from time to time...lol.....I get a few of these a month, they once moled through a gas main which ended up with us having to evacuate a pub which the gas was p1ssing into...
Old 08 July 2008, 07:39 AM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
He needs to change his solicitors then if after 2 years they couldn't find out you owned the land.
It was mentioned to him.