Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2008, 11:31 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pupil given marks for swearing!

You've got to be f'ing joking!

Pupil gains marks for exam expletive - Yahoo! News UK

Pupil is give 2 marks out of 27 for writing "f off" as the answer to an english exam which asked "Describe the room you are in"

Apparently he would have got more marks if he'd used punctuation.
Old 30 June 2008, 11:33 AM
New_scooby_04

What a load of Bollocks!

Ns" I just got an A for expression" 04
Old 30 June 2008, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is typical of the PC Plonkers who are anxious to display such controversial decisions not only to shock us all but to demonstrate to us their growing power to do just what they like in spite of going against what the average person whould regard as normal social behaviour.

As my old mate from Yorkshire would say"They want stuffing!"

Les
Old 30 June 2008, 11:38 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Works for me.

Conveys spelling, communication, intention - And considerably better English skills than the odd poster on here .

Personally I think we have quite a archaic view with regards to swearing; It is a valuable tool for conveying emotion when used int he right context.

I would have no problem with either of my kids swearing in a context that was not being abusive or disrespectful ( I am not naive enough to think they * don't * swear ) - I think imaginative use of swear words in an English paper can be a positive thing.
Old 30 June 2008, 11:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Works for me.

Conveys spelling, communication, intention - And considerably better English skills than the odd poster on here .

Personally I think we have quite a archaic view with regards to swearing; It is a valuable tool for conveying emotion when used int he right context.

I would have no problem with either of my kids swearing in a context that was not being abusive or disrespectful ( I am not naive enough to think they * don't * swear ) - I think imaginative use of swear words in an English paper can be a positive thing.
When going shopping at Tesco's and i hear 10 or so year old's yelling **** and **** off at each other i tend to disagree (NOW THERE IS A SUPRISE)

In contet it is fine, the problem is a lot of people punctuate each sentence with it and it rubs off on the younger generations.

Yet again - people ignoring their responsibilities.

I do see the society we live in being erroded by so many things and in so many areas, i may just be getting old...
Old 30 June 2008, 11:56 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
i may just be getting old...
Nope.Everything really has gone downhill despite the protestations from ministers and those with kids who have just achieved 10 GCSE's or 5 A levels
Old 30 June 2008, 11:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When going shopping at Tesco's and i hear 10 or so year old's yelling **** and **** off at each other i tend to disagree (NOW THERE IS A SUPRISE)

In contet it is fine, the problem is a lot of people punctuate each sentence with it and it rubs off on the younger generations.

Yet again - people ignoring their responsibilities.

I do see the society we live in being erroded by so many things and in so many areas, i may just be getting old...
I'm not sure that it's any worse that it ever has beeen Paul. Kids have sworn from time immemorial.

Of course it absolutely horrible to hear a young'un swear, and I don't swear in front of my kids and they don't swear in front of me.

However, I am sure that they will swear when with mates etc, the important thing is that they use swear words approproately. I mean when with mates, fine, its going to happen, but as long as they don't do it at thier Nan's 65th birthday bash.

With regards to the use of swear words in English, I think there is definitely room for them.

I mean noting, and I mean nothing, quite conveys your disgust as a given object or person like "oh you fu**ing c**t".
Old 30 June 2008, 12:00 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Nope.Everything really has gone downhill despite the protestations from ministers and those with kids who have just achieved 10 GCSE's or 5 A levels
I disagree.

We have have a much higher percentage of people going to university now, compared to 20 years ago. And an educated society is a more tolerant and respectful society.

However, what has happened is that it has created an "underclass". Which was, I think, an unforseen byproduct.
Old 30 June 2008, 12:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I disagree.

We have have a much higher percentage of people going to university now, compared to 20 years ago. .
I know.And the standard of what goes in to Universities is perhaps reflected in the embarrassing things that I speak to therafter ,holding degrees and yet IMO thick as a brick.Sceptic in me thinks 'unemployment figures helped if we hide them all at Uni'

The arguments will go on but as an employer,I despair.

Anyway,swearing.Believe it or not,I don't really.Or rather,very rarely.Having said that,the Daily Mash stuff has me creased up and yes,you do need the swear words sometimes( but not in your English exam)
Old 30 June 2008, 12:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure that it's any worse that it ever has beeen Paul. Kids have sworn from time immemorial.

Of course it absolutely horrible to hear a young'un swear, and I don't swear in front of my kids and they don't swear in front of me.

However, I am sure that they will swear when with mates etc, the important thing is that they use swear words approproately. I mean when with mates, fine, its going to happen, but as long as they don't do it at thier Nan's 65th birthday bash.

With regards to the use of swear words in English, I think there is definitely room for them.

I mean noting, and I mean nothing, quite conveys your disgust as a given object or person like "oh you fu**ing c**t".
Who you calling a ****ing **** - you cnunting asswipe pig-****er!

Yep - it does make you feel kinda good and gets the message across.

When i was a lad we never used to swear in front of our partents - early teens, even to 15 or so.

These day i bet the percentage who will do without the risk of a clip around the ear or being grounded do has actually risen.
Old 30 June 2008, 12:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

These day i bet the percentage who will do without the risk of a clip around the ear or being grounded do has actually risen.
Thats the problem, less and less 'parents' (used loosely) don't seem in the slightest perturbed when their children swear.

Children do swear in public far more than they used to and with no shame whatsoever.

As for the exam result, well its only to be expected of this country now.
Old 30 June 2008, 12:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When i was a lad we never used to swear in front of our partents - early teens, even to 15 or so.
No, Me neither, I rarely swear in from of them now except in expceptional circumstances.

Obviously I treat the kids slightly different dute to ages - The 17 year old would get a different reaction from me than the 13 year old.

The main thing is teaching them when it is, and it is not "ok" to swear, and I think they have got that sorted.

Again with regards t exams, I think creatviely swearing can add an edge of realism.

I mean take tripe like Eastenders. Your Brother runs off with your wife and you father turnes out to be a transvestite that's been having an affair with your daughter and your wife has been lesbianing it up with the local land lady , and the biggest expletive you come out with is "Bugger"
Old 30 June 2008, 12:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Children do swear in public far more than they used to and with no shame whatsoever.
Don't talk such ****ing ****e.

Seriously, why do you think that?
Old 30 June 2008, 12:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

well he could have just put a cross ...!
Old 30 June 2008, 12:57 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Don't talk such ****ing ****e.

Seriously, why do you think that?
Pete, I hear it daily when I'm out and about, no magic involved. My generation never swore when there was an adult within hearing distance and if there was a Policeman nearby we all struggled to walk properly without thinking we'd done something worthy of a telling off which would bring shame on our families.

Which then leads on to another point. Why do I see so many kids not at school on a regular basis?
Old 30 June 2008, 01:07 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

I disagree.

We have have a much higher percentage of people going to university now, compared to 20 years ago. And an educated society is a more tolerant and respectful society.

However, what has happened is that it has created an "underclass". Which was, I think, an unforseen byproduct.
And???I'm afraid the benchmark for exam passes has been lowered big time over the last thirty years!!!Fact. Just because more people are going to uni now does not indicate a general raising of standards!!That is sloppy thinking...just what university education is designed to eradicate.
Old 30 June 2008, 01:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Although I sometimes used swearwords as a teenager, but never in earshot of grownups or those who might be offended, I think it was part of growing up along the lines of smoking and having a drink on the quiet!

I do however find it is offensive in public and hate to hear it from young children or the fully grown for that matter.

I well remember being told that use of bad language demonstrates the inabiliy of the user to express himself and is nothing to be proud about. Far more impressive to be able to say just what you mean clearly and succintly without recourse to unpleasant language in my opinion.

I am however the first to admit that it certainly helps when things go wrong in private to let a few choice comments go just to make you feel better

Les
Old 30 June 2008, 01:25 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

What is really annoying in respect of this 'hug a hoodie' style marking is seeing what the question was

'Describe the room you are in'

If I was the examiner and he had written 'F off' he would get minus marks and kick up the backside.

Mind you,doesn't happen in this fluffy wuffy new world we all live in where kids get away with anything
Old 30 June 2008, 01:46 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

My generation never swore when there was an adult within hearing distance and if there was a Policeman nearby we all struggled to walk properly without thinking we'd done something worthy of a telling off which would bring shame on our families.
?
Seriously I think some of you are at least 208 years old, or, lived in secluded time warp villages when growing up (whohc must have been genuinely aces)

"Bring shame on our families"? What??? A copper would say "oi don't swear" How passer by is possibly going to know what family you belong to is beyond me.

Swearing, in my experience of growing up in a city is no better or worse than it used to be.
Old 30 June 2008, 01:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a1oku
And???I'm afraid the benchmark for exam passes has been lowered big time over the last thirty years!!!Fact. Just because more people are going to uni now does not indicate a general raising of standards!!That is sloppy thinking...just what university education is designed to eradicate.
What evidence do you have of standards being lowered?
Old 30 June 2008, 02:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Seriously I think some of you are at least 208 years old, or, lived in secluded time warp villages when growing up (whohc must have been genuinely aces)

"Bring shame on our families"? What??? A copper would say "oi don't swear" How passer by is possibly going to know what family you belong to is beyond me.

Swearing, in my experience of growing up in a city is no better or worse than it used to be.
Then I'd say the majority of us think you came from another planet or were dragged up.
Old 30 June 2008, 02:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Then I'd say the majority of us think you came from another planet or were dragged up.
I'm fine with that

And whats more, I've managed not to bring shame on my family .

"Shame on my family", **** me. It's like something out of a c*nting dickens novel.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:18 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm fine with that

And whats more, I've managed not to bring shame on my family .

"Shame on my family", **** me. It's like something out of a c*nting dickens novel.
Pete, they excepted you were never going to amount to much at a very early age so you never got the general behaviour brief as a child.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Pete, they excepted you were never going to amount to much at a very early age so you never got the general behaviour brief as a child.
Either that, or I lived an area where there were more than 3 people in the village.

Having said that. When I was about 13 I used to travel into central London quite often ( I lived a tube ride away). One day I wa sin Trafalgar Square and me an a couple of mates decided to see how far we could get up it.

We got passed the square base and onto the actual column itself, which if you know Nelsons column is pretty high up, when a copper screamed at us to get down. We got down and he gave us an earful.

When I got home later that day, My mum was waiting for me and went beserk at me for getting told off by the Police in trafalgar Square. She never did tell mw how she found out, but I couldnt beleive it at the time.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Either that, or I lived an area where there were more than 3 people in the village.

Having said that. When I was about 13 I used to travel into central London quite often ( I lived a tube ride away). One day I wa sin Trafalgar Square and me an a couple of mates decided to see how far we could get up it.

We got passed the square base and onto the actual column itself, which if you know Nelsons column is pretty high up, when a copper screamed at us to get down. We got down and he gave us an earful.

When I got home later that day, My mum was waiting for me and went beserk at me for getting told off by the Police in trafalgar Square. She never did tell mw how she found out, but I couldnt beleive it at the time.
Do you think your Mum screamed because you never made it to the top?

As for knowing, maybe you had your name and address written on the sole of your shoes and on your descent plod noted it.
Old 30 June 2008, 03:52 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Im beginning to feel like Frank Grimes...
Old 30 June 2008, 04:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by lozgti
What is really annoying in respect of this 'hug a hoodie' style marking is seeing what the question was

'Describe the room you are in'

If I was the examiner and he had written 'F off' he would get minus marks and kick up the backside.

Mind you,doesn't happen in this fluffy wuffy new world we all live in where kids get away with anything
Exactly. How is that a valid response to that question.

Maybe if the kid had written:

"Fu*k off; you didn't say please"

That student gets a "T" Any takers as to what the T stands for?

Ns04
Old 30 June 2008, 04:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It stands for a traditional English drink.
Old 01 July 2008, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I still have to say that I think that allowing children to use bad or obscene language in normal conversation is indeed a lowering of standards and in earlier days would have been regarded as "common" behaviour.

Les
Old 01 July 2008, 11:31 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

1. Pete, you are out of your tree.

2. Unnecessary swearing, which seems all too common (like its users) now, is just representative of individuals with a lack of respect for others.

3. The suggestion that swearing is no more prevalent now than in the past is frankly ridiculous - go ask your granny how many foul-mouthed lepers she had to put up with in her youth.

4. If I suggest that standards of education have dropped significantly (particularly under this government) then no doubt some (hello Pete) will say "anecdotal"..."hearsay"....."Daily Mail" etc. Because of course now 465% of the population have some kind of degree in Media Studies, Drama, American Studies, Fine Art or other that guarantees them to be virtually unemployable in anything other than the Public Sector where the Welcome Mat is out for everybody. Government statistics will back Pete up, and suggest our real life perceptions cannot be true. I am more inclined to accept the views of the CBI and the IoM, who both report an obvious drop in the quality of individuals looking for employment.

5. How soul-destroying must it be as a teacher, having to deal with the type of brain-dead individual we are talking about here.

This 'dumbing down' of society is like a runaway train, driven by the inevitable truth that stupid people tend to give rise to far more offspring than those of higher intelligence, who just happen to be more responsible and respectful in everything they do.
****, fascist or whatever you like, I'd have no problem with forced sterilization of the anti-social idiots because I am sick to the back teeth of the shameless way this society behaves.

Kevin

Quick Reply: pupil given marks for swearing!