Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2008, 05:04 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Changes

Since Ebay has changed so that sellers can't leave negative feedback I have had a few items that people have bid on and then not paid for. This is winding me up as I have to incur sellers fees and even when I open a payment dispute nothing happens and I don't get my fees returned. I am sure this is because I can't leave them neg feedback they just bid for the hell of it.

Why has Ebay made this change it's a joke.

What's stopping someone bidding on a competitors items for sale and not paying for them and leaving negative feedback?
Old 09 June 2008, 05:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

How many strikes and you're banned/suspended now?

You can see why they've done it as some sellers would only leave + when they received it.

They work on the premise that sellers are the ones that pay the bill, which they do, so will tow the line and not rip people off.
Old 09 June 2008, 05:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Retaliatory feedback could only be removed in America, couldnt it (it broke their T&C)?
Old 09 June 2008, 06:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I hate the ones that CAN leave you feedback but never bother. Grrrr, is it too much to ask!
Old 09 June 2008, 06:11 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Knew this would happen. I mostly buy on ebay, but sell the odd thing too. It'll be even worse when they start claiming that they haven't received the item when you use un-recorded mail.

Has completely put me off selling now, as if the fees weren't bad enough.
Old 09 June 2008, 07:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

This has ruined eBay - its just wide open for abuse now. You would normally be able to spot scam sellers if all their feedback was ****e, but now you cant.

The recent hikes in fees had already put me off eBay a bit, but now its hardly worth bothering with, its crap.
Old 09 June 2008, 08:14 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The only -ve feed back i have recieved was from a seller. I payed for an item via paypal which i didn't receive so i left him negative. He then left me negative even though i had paid him
Nik.
Old 09 June 2008, 08:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
You can see why they've done it as some sellers would only leave + when they received it.
Which is the way it should be anyway. Seller sells, buyer buys, buyer receives purchase, buyer happy, buyer leaves feedback, seller returns feedback concluding the deal.

If the buyer isn't happy or never receives the purchase then an email or phone call to the seller is required. Feedback isn't there for some useless numpty to say "Poo seller, never received item". There are way too many variables why they might not have received it, not to mention that THEY weren't in when it was delivered as a classic.

Feedback is there for both parties to end the transaction whatever else was involved in getting there. Unfortunately with so many thick people alive the temptation to the intelligently challenged is to leave feedback without communicating.

Originally Posted by GC8
Retaliatory feedback could only be removed in America, couldnt it (it broke their T&C)?
There were ways to get feedback removed here and it happened a lot.

Originally Posted by Nat21
It's crap now, don't bother with it at all and neither do a lot of decent sellers i used to look at a lot.
Still lots do but in certainly fewer areas. However a lot of that is due to sellers unable to declare themselves as business sellers when they should have been. Therefore they disappeared quietly.

Still, with the changes to feedback it does allow for foul play as Jimpreza and Petem95 have said.
Old 09 June 2008, 08:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
The only -ve feed back i have recieved was from a seller. I payed for an item via paypal which i didn't receive so i left him negative. He then left me negative even though i had paid him
Nik.
Did you even let the seller know you hadn't received the item?
Old 09 June 2008, 08:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I simply state in my T7C's that all items are sent next day signed for.

this is to comply with ebays t&c's

if they dont like it then dont buy

Mart
Old 09 June 2008, 08:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I simply state in my T7C's that all items are sent next day signed for.

this is to comply with ebays t&c's

if they dont like it then dont buy

Mart
Nothing is quite that simple though is it? I remember the tube station bombings and the amount of people shouting that they never got their goods, not understanding the enormity of the delivery services headache, pretty much countrywide.

Plus your terms would prevent so much business, it would simply turn people away. Ultimately you have to fit around the buyer to some degree for them to be interested.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:36 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I've gone off ebay too. Recently been scammed on some Impreza bulbs from uk_bulb_co they sent the wrong ones twice now won't refund
Old 09 June 2008, 09:42 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

i bought a glass tv stand from e bay, pay stright away but never got an e-mail or the goods, big fat negative feedback. 2 days later got a phone call from the ebay seller offered me a tenner off if i removed the neg feedback but if i didnt i would get some :P

not quite fair but took the discount anyways :P
Old 09 June 2008, 09:45 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, i have found by a little bit of googling you can buy a lot of things cheaper from reputable companys, than on Ebay. It's too expensive and too many crooks operate on there now.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
i bought a glass tv stand from e bay, pay stright away but never got an e-mail or the goods, big fat negative feedback. 2 days later got a phone call from the ebay seller offered me a tenner off if i removed the neg feedback but if i didnt i would get some :P

not quite fair but took the discount anyways :P
Did you email them to see where your goods had got to? Sellers can be far too busy to ask everyone if their goods have arrived.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Nothing is quite that simple though is it? I remember the tube station bombings and the amount of people shouting that they never got their goods, not understanding the enormity of the delivery services headache, pretty much countrywide.

Plus your terms would prevent so much business, it would simply turn people away. Ultimately you have to fit around the buyer to some degree for them to be interested.
Nope on the contrary,

Once i post thats its on the way, its there next day, most people who buy on ebay, get p*ssed off waiting for stuff to arrive

the onus then falls on the post office to deliver

GT next day delivery dosent add that much to an item, and its well insured to boot

Mart
Old 09 June 2008, 09:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Nope on the contrary,

Once i post thats its on the way, its there next day, most people who buy on ebay, get p*ssed off waiting for stuff to arrive

the onus then falls on the post office to deliver

GT next day delivery dosent add that much to an item, and its well insured to boot

Mart
Not if they are not in and need a bigger delivery window. Most customers I've sold to can wait, being available is more important.

The onus is always on the seller to provide the service to the buyer, not the Post Office.
Old 10 June 2008, 02:50 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

As soon as google set up an alternative, and combined with google checkout, I will be abandoning ebay for all my selling and never using paypal again.
These new 'enhancements' are the final straw- and thats coming from me as a powerseller too.
Fees ridiculously high, no protections as a seller, useless customer service, ever more restrictive and barking mad policies, and no real incentive to stay using it when a viable alternative appears.

Watch them leave in droves when google do it.....hope they hurry up.
Old 10 June 2008, 07:43 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Of course i did but got the expected response, tough ****!

Originally Posted by Spoon
Did you even let the seller know you hadn't received the item?
Old 10 June 2008, 08:13 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay is now the worst. I'm going to stop using it for selling.

I sold some head rests from my previous car (ooops forgot to put them back when I sold it). I started it at 99p to reduce the costs and estimated the postage at £5. Well, they sold for 99p and the postage cost me £6.80. So it was sent normal post. I have the postage receipt, but that's it. Now the buyer is wanting their money back as they've not received it!!! So I stand to loose out twice, some people.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:10 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

I sold most of my golf gti through e-bay and to be honest got less messing about than trying to do it through owners clubs, VW web sites and friends.

However I did get a couple of messers who got -ve feedback, and I do look at low 'score' bidders to see what they have bought in the past.

I have been threatened with -ve feedback and forwarded the message straight to ebay - never heard anything after that.

On the flip side of it when buying I only buy what I know and have had some really good bargins.

As for postage, having been bitten once or twice I now never guess at the price and get everything signed for. Luckly no one has tried the old 'it didn't arrive' routine on me. Postage costs can be wicked, I re-wrapped a strutbrace I was sending to South Korea three times to save £25!!!!!

Last edited by bigvern; 10 June 2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10 June 2008, 02:41 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's the £20 final value fee they hit you with when you sell a car that really takes the ****. They charge about £10 just to list.

I usally agree with the seller or buyer to do a no sale after the deal's done so it doesn't get paid.
Old 10 June 2008, 03:19 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

check this auction out, specifically the last bit thats written in red about positive feedback!!!!

1995 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TURBO SPORT WAGON FULL MOT+TAX on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 20-Jun-08 11:12:37 BST)

thats wrong!
Old 10 June 2008, 03:34 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Yes but its a neccessary reaction to ebays stupid new policies...
I have stopped leaving feedback for all transactions now- both as a seller and a buyer.
Old 10 June 2008, 03:37 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

so, you cant take the car unless you leave a positive feedback? looks like bully boy tactics to me..
Old 10 June 2008, 03:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
check this auction out, specifically the last bit thats written in red about positive feedback!!!!

1995 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TURBO SPORT WAGON FULL MOT+TAX on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 20-Jun-08 11:12:37 BST)

thats wrong!
Theyre idiots: there are plenty of other vendors...
Old 10 June 2008, 05:33 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Yes but its a neccessary reaction to ebays stupid new policies...
No, it's abusing the feedback system. What if someone buys the car and it tuns out to be fooked a mile down the road?