Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My poor next door neighbour

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 01:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor next door neighbour

My next door neighbours must be in their 90's by now, and a few weeks ago the old woman had a fall and an ambulance came to see to her, and it appears she has fractured her hip, so off she went in to have a screw put in

Now it turns out she fell as she had got a bit wobbly on her legs, thinking her arthritis was playing up and it turns out she has had two old previously undiscovered fractures the other side of her hip

a day after being admitted to hospital she stopped breathing, but managed to regain life, and appeared to be on the mend and starting some Physio

I saw a younger woman in the house over a week ago now, and asked her how things were, and got told most of the above, but that her mother was due home in about a week, and asked how the old guy was doing, and she told me his breathing has been playing up so hasnt been well enough to go and see his wife

We havent heard anything for over a week and saw him tonight looking out of the kitchen window about 8pm, this is fairly normal as this is usually the time all the blinds close, the lights go off and they go off to bed

However I have just been outside for a smoke and seen all his lights on, and him stood in the kitchen looking out the door, he saw me and came out, so I asked him how his wife is doing, and he looked very tearful, eyes all red and bloodshot, and just kept saying 'when is it supposed to happen' (he is also quite deaf too)

Anway after a while it turns out he is waiting for his daughter to bring his dinner, and has been sat waiting in his armchair all night, I tried to explain to him that it is the early hours of the morning, but he doesnt seem to be able to grasp that, I asked him again about his wife, and he managed to tell me that she is on physio still and is doing ok but still in hospital, so I have made sure that he is now getting something to eat, to save him having to spend the rest of the night waiting for his daughter or meals on wheels to turn up

They have been together for nigh on 70 years and I think this is the first time he has ever been away from her in all that time, and its getting to be over 3 weeks now, and no one has really been to his house in the last week or so, as it seems his daughter has stopped coming round

Will have to keep an eye on him now, seems such a shame, and was actually getting close to upsetting seeing him like that this evening
Old 05 June 2008, 01:36 AM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

GENTLEMAN
Old 05 June 2008, 01:38 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Take him some breakfast in the morning if you can.

And give his daughter a call if you can get hold of her number.

Nice to see someone looking out for others
Old 05 June 2008, 02:12 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Is it sick to jokingly suggest you rob him blind

Seriously, good on you for keeping an eye out.
Old 05 June 2008, 07:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How would you feel if he was your dad ?

I think you'd be made up someone was looking out for him !! So many people these days would just turn their back on him or sadly as posted above (even as a joke ) would rob him and take advantage !

I think your a hero for taking the time to help him !! I hope when (if) I get to that age there are people like yourself around to help me out !!

*Buys Sonic a cyber beer*
Old 05 June 2008, 07:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

sonic, cant really offer you any advice, but id like to say it was a very christian thing you did. the old fella is obviously very vunerable at the moment, so maybe just keep an eye out for him, as unfortunaltey there are types that would, as saxoboy suggested, take advantage of the poor bugger.

keep us updated, but from what it seems, his beloeved wife may have moved upstairs
Old 05 June 2008, 07:40 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate, take the ol' boy some fish and chips over. Well worh the fiver it will cost IMO.
Old 05 June 2008, 08:21 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd be inclined to give Age Concern or a similar group a ring. They may be able to send someone to see what is happening and perhaps liase with the social services people that will be working with the hospital. Of course the daughter should be doing this. If she does come home then clearly someone is going to have to give the old girl a hand.

When my mum bust her hip she was sent to a sort of recuperation place for a week or so. Didn't help when MRSA left a small infected hole in her back, of course

Don't go all "British Reserve" and say you don't want to get too involved. My experience in these things is that if you don't kick *** nothing happens.

Well done so far btw. Hope the old duck recovers reasonably. dl
Old 05 June 2008, 08:28 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im with David on this one.

Well done for what you have done so far mate, and having the respect to look out for them, but at the same time let the pro's take over.

Im sure he would be happy for you to continue to help. But its only fair someone takes official responsibility.
Old 05 June 2008, 08:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with DL on this, Oh and you did a good thing and the right thing.

Good on ya!
Old 05 June 2008, 12:23 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Nice one matey.
Old 05 June 2008, 12:31 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

well done for oding the right thing, we have a neighbour with ms, and all take turns doing her garden, just loook at it as karma, if anything happend to you someone would look after yours hopefully
Old 05 June 2008, 12:36 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

DL's spot on, top marks to you fella, but it's time to get the pro's in.
Old 05 June 2008, 12:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sonic, as others have said, well done for being human. Be careful though you don't land yourself in hot water from the family, who might just feel like accusing you of something you haven't done.

Sad I know, but possible.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't praise you enough Sonic. so many would have just shut their eyes to his predicament. Its the sort of situation where it is absolutely right to do what you can for him especially since his own family don't seem to be bothering.

I certainly think that as DL said you should inform Age Concern. At least they might be able to get his own family to take care of him. Very irresponsible of them to just leave him to fight for himself.

Les
Old 05 June 2008, 01:28 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Cheers all

I had a quick chat to one of the other neighbours this morning, and asked Donna to do the same, we dont have numbers for his family, but my other neighbour may have a number to contact

Normally they do get meals on wheels, taxis etc and gardeners

I know it was a joke about robbing him blind, it actually happened to him last year by some pikey gypsies offered to cut a tree down for several hundred quid and then asked to use the toilet and robbed all the money from upstairs too
Old 05 June 2008, 08:00 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Been to another neighbours this evening, and they checked on him this morning and he was fast asleep, so they checked again this afternoon and went in and helped him make some dinner

They are going to phone the meals on wheels people tomorrow to see if they will send a carer in to assess him, as they have said he is very confused too

His daughter is still coming round but its a 4 or 5 hour round trip in travelling alone (via public transport) so she cant continue coming round as much as she wants or needs to

His wife is still in care and will only be allowed home with a carer, and she doesnt want a carer to stay at the house, they are both now in their 90's and cant really look after each other, so she needs to be convinced that a carer is needed

Hopefully the meals on wheels people will be able to assess him properly and get him some more help around the home
Old 05 June 2008, 08:05 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Sonic =
Old 05 June 2008, 08:07 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Steve, I'm going to move in next door to you when I'm old and a bit dotty

You're a top bloke
Old 05 June 2008, 09:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick

Steve, I'm going to move in next door to you when I'm old and a bit dotty

That'll be next week then
Old 05 June 2008, 10:36 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Aww sonic what a brilliant thing your doing! Im sure he's thrilled that your helping him.

My dear old nan who sadly passed away just over a year ago was living on her own in her house after my grandad had died she went shopping into town and got confused on where she was some nice young lady got her in her car gave her a lift home (when she remembered where she lived) went into the house with her unpacked her shopping made her some dinner and a cup of tea!

One of my aunts who likes to think the worst of people checked the whole house to make sure this lady hadn't stolen anything from my nan (she didn't)

But sometimes the act of human kindness is unreal my nan was so greatful that someone had helped her.

Im very greatful to that lady who helped my nan because who knows what would of happened to her.

Im glad that you care so much about your neighbours and im sure they are very very greatful to you.

Steph xx
Old 07 June 2008, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Been to another neighbours this evening, and they checked on him this morning and he was fast asleep, so they checked again this afternoon and went in and helped him make some dinner

They are going to phone the meals on wheels people tomorrow to see if they will send a carer in to assess him, as they have said he is very confused too

His daughter is still coming round but its a 4 or 5 hour round trip in travelling alone (via public transport) so she cant continue coming round as much as she wants or needs to

His wife is still in care and will only be allowed home with a carer, and she doesnt want a carer to stay at the house, they are both now in their 90's and cant really look after each other, so she needs to be convinced that a carer is needed

Hopefully the meals on wheels people will be able to assess him properly and get him some more help around the home
Its a terrible situation for them both Sonic, its the sort of thing we all have to fear as we get older. Whatever happens, I hope he and his wife don't get separated and that his daughter can manage to sort the whole thing out. Of course they need a carer, the only other thing is for them to live with the daughter, or sell the house and they would have to go into a home. Don't expect the authorities to do much to help anyway, unless they lived in Scotland of course.

Les

Les