Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Staying in the Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2008, 10:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staying in the Grand Canyon

No doubt I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs here but I'd advise anyone considering it to stay only at El Tovar and then only in the Presidential Suite if they can secure it. Reason being it's one of the few places that offers a suite with a balcony and view of the south rim.

Grand Canyon tours, accommodation, vacation. Hotels, camping, cabins, lodges. - El Tovar Hotel

Also it's a great feeling to know you've slept in the same place as Teddy Roosevelt, Einstein and Bush, even better to know you've soiled the sleeping place of future presidents with your bodily fluids.

Some members of our party decided to stay in one of the nearby lodges. Smart move, visit the Canyon for possibly the only time in your life and save a few quid by staying in econo-lodge with a view of some scrub land........smart move.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Virgin flight over was it Nacro?
Old 25 May 2008, 10:34 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

BA, my days of flying with Virgin began and ended with what I like to think of as their lies.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:41 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Marvellous.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:46 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Indeed they are.
Old 25 May 2008, 11:22 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

[NACRO] "I'm sorry, I couldn't help nowticing that I seem to be considerablay richer than yow" [/NACRO]

Bit of a theme going on tonight.
Old 26 May 2008, 07:05 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Sorry I forgot that a middle of the road watch and hotel room seem like unimaginable wealth to some people.
Old 26 May 2008, 08:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one am glad that NACRO spends the time to let us know about a lifestyle I could only aspire to fully if I really understood it properly.

A movie quote that reminded me of this, from Ferris Buellers day off, regarding the Ferrari 250 GT California,

Ferris: It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:15 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I for one am glad that NACRO spends the time to let us know about a lifestyle I could only aspire to fully if I really understood it properly.

A movie quote that reminded me of this, from Ferris Buellers day off, regarding the Ferrari 250 GT California,

Ferris: It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Old 26 May 2008, 09:24 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Phew, when I saw the thread title I felt a moment of panic wash over me in case our learned chum here was going to be in GC at the same time as me. You can only imagine the relief I felt when realised that he's already been

J4CKO, you're on fire this weekend matey
Old 26 May 2008, 09:49 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Also it's a great feeling to know you've slept in the bodily fluids of Teddy Roosevelt, Einstein and Bush, and the numerous ****** done in the bed.., even better to know you've soiled the sleeping place of future presidents with your bodily fluids.
Wow, what a thought! lol

Personally I like a nice place to stay, but basic and comfy suits me. Its all about experiencing being where you are for me.

I got to say though $406 a night for a suite is rather cheap!
Glad you had a good time though.

I will be sleeping in the same bed as the Smith's, the Johnson's, the McPherson's and all the other people who rent the same house as me on the exclusive golf reserve that I stay at in Florida, and driving the same cars that the Davison's, the Cole's, and Peterson's hired too.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:58 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Michael, thanks for that, I already have a bit of a thing about staying in beds that have been slept in by someone else (I'm a bit borderline OCD I think ) and that hasn't helped at all

Having spent the last few weeks looking at hotels in the Western States I've come to the conclusion that they like their floral prints and chintz over there in a big way

I don't mind where I stay as long as it's CLEAN, comfy and easy on the eye. We've decided that we'll probably stay at the Luxor whilst in Las Vegas which looks uber cool in a tacky Vegas kind of way from the outside but the rooms inside are pure chintzy hell
Old 26 May 2008, 10:01 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol was just making the point that it seems ok to sleep in presidential jizzum, but a terrible thing to do it the other way round.

Yup USA places are floral indeed, its the in thing. Always wear sunglasses on entering the room for the first time

Its all about somewhere to rest for us. If you are comfy enough to kick back and relax, I need no more.

Got our first day in Florida all planned out already and cant wait

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Michael, thanks for that, I already have a bit of a thing about staying in beds that have been slept in by someone else (I'm a bit borderline OCD I think ) and that hasn't helped at all

Having spent the last few weeks looking at hotels in the Western States I've come to the conclusion that they like their floral prints and chintz over there in a big way

I don't mind where I stay as long as it's CLEAN, comfy and easy on the eye. We've decided that we'll probably stay at the Luxor whilst in Las Vegas which looks uber cool in a tacky Vegas kind of way from the outside but the rooms inside are pure chintzy hell
Old 26 May 2008, 10:02 AM
NACRO
BANNED

The Luxor isn't the best located place but I'm sure it will be really adequate.

If you want somewhere cheap in the best location on the strip try a 'Go Room' at the Flamingo.

If you're really cheap then a strip view room at 'Bill's Gambling Hall' is worthwhile

If you can't stand to spend time with the great unwashed then take a leaf out of my book and take a fountain view suite at Bellagio.

All better options than staying in an **** end of the strip place like Luxor or *shudder* Stratosphere.
Old 26 May 2008, 10:06 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO

If you want somewhere cheap in the best location on the strip try a 'Go Room' at the Flamingo.

If you're really cheap then a strip view room at 'Bill's Gambling Hall' is worthwhile

If you can't stand to spend time with the great unwashed then take a leaf out of my book and take a fountain view suite at Bellagio.

All better options than staying in an **** end of the strip place like Luxor or *shudder* Stratosphere.
Careful, its windy today, you might get blown down from your high horse all the way up there

Some people stay in hotels to sleep and relax, not come home and "boast" about where they have stayed.

Aaah well, fair play to you for paying someone all that money to sleep in an old bed, with dirty sheets, etc..... each to their own eh.
Not for me though.
Old 26 May 2008, 10:17 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol was just making the point that it seems ok to sleep in presidential jizzum, but a terrible thing to do it the other way round.
"My fellow Americans..."

Old 26 May 2008, 10:21 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO

Thanks for the tips I'm definitely not as rich as you so that excludes the Bellagio and others of that ilk

In fact the Luxor have offered us a few nights free in return for a couple of hours work although Bob is understandably a bit nervous about the prospect of wearing a leopard skin velcro thong and gyrating round a greasy pole. Needs must though eh?
Old 26 May 2008, 10:24 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips I'm definitely not as rich as you so that excludes the Bellagio and others of that ilk

In fact the Luxor have offered us a few nights free in return for a couple of hours work although Bob is understandably a bit nervous about the prospect of wearing a leopard skin velcro thong and gyrating round a greasy pole. Needs must though eh?

Should make enough for a helicopter flight over the canyon too with that eh
Old 26 May 2008, 10:40 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Should make enough for a helicopter flight over the canyon too with that eh
I don't know about the chopper but it will certainly get us a burger and maybe even some fries to share after the show
Old 26 May 2008, 11:51 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Please can we leave the subject of Choppers and Bob in a thong out of this thread please

I have to say, when I satyed in Vegas, I didnt give two hoots as to the qualty of the room, as long as it was clean and the bed comfy as all I used the room for was somewhere to keep my clothes and somewhere to rest my head for a few hours, why pay extortionate amounts for a room when you wont be spending your time in their
Old 26 May 2008, 11:56 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Please can we leave the subject of Choppers and Bob in a thong out of this thread please

I have to say, when I satyed in Vegas, I didnt give two hoots as to the qualty of the room, as long as it was clean and the bed comfy as all I used the room for was somewhere to keep my clothes and somewhere to rest my head for a few hours, why pay extortionate amounts for a room when you wont be spending your time in their
In their what?

As for extortionate amounts places like the Bellagio offer top quality at what seem like stupidly low prices. The other 2 options I mentioned were used by some of the people I was with and they were paying less than 50 quid a night for pretty decent rooms with great views.

What you pay for when you get a decent place in Vegas is worth every penny IMO-

Not having to wait for a cab, get on that stinking bus or say walk through no man's land if you're staying at the Luxor/Stratosphere (the 2 crappy places either end of the strip) to get anywhere of interest. Location is what it's all about.
Old 26 May 2008, 11:59 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

sorry my mistake its there, its still early in the morning for me

Which bit of no mans land is by the Luxor ?

Each to their own, but I would rather pay standard rates for a standard room and my money saved use for something else on my holidays
Old 26 May 2008, 12:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cabs and buses! **** that. I would rather save the price of the room, and have the freedom of a car or truck to go ANYWHERE, not just where I was staying.
All good an well having a view of one place, but why not just base yourself like Sonic says, from one simple place and move about.
Thats what we do.

Then again, I dont like hotel's FULLSTOP... prefer the privacy and freedom of your own place
Old 26 May 2008, 12:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Each to their own, but I would rather pay standard rates for a standard room and my money saved use for something else on my holidays

Spot on.

One of my favorite parts of sorting the holiday, is choosing which SUV im having that year lol
Old 26 May 2008, 12:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just as a pointer.....

Am I right in thinking ...

The Bellagio and The Luxor are both on Las Vegas Boul South.... one at 3600 one at 3900....
from: 3600 Las Vegas Blvd south to: 3900 Las Vegas Blvd south - Google Maps

Look at the HUGE difference in enviroment between the 2...........

POP *bubble burst.....
Oh no there isn't
Old 26 May 2008, 12:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Agreed Michael

The last few times we have been to Vegas, we hired a car to give us the freedom to do and go where we wanted to

On the evenings it was nice enough to walk down the strip and not have to get a cab etc
Old 26 May 2008, 12:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I love a run in the mornings, drive all day at my pace and my route during the day, and lots of evening walking. Thats in Florida though
Could not do a trip to the US without a car!

At night I go home to this...

Suits me.

Swim here in the afternoons

And take in views like this on my evening walks..

And chill here eating chinese lol

£50 a night, or £25 per person per night
Old 26 May 2008, 12:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

pahh my "commodore deluxe" ferry cabin was bigger then that on the way back from Amsterdam this morning
Old 26 May 2008, 12:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Just as a pointer.....

Am I right in thinking ...

The Bellagio and The Luxor are both on Las Vegas Boul South.... one at 3600 one at 3900....
from: 3600 Las Vegas Blvd south to: 3900 Las Vegas Blvd south - Google Maps

Look at the HUGE difference in enviroment between the 2...........

POP *bubble burst.....
Oh no there isn't
The difference is about 20 minutes walking in 40 degree heat past a building site one one side and an area full of druggies, drunks, skags and card touting melon eaters with attitude problems.

As for driving of course you'd be stupid not to hire a car when they're so cheap. Similarly you'd be an idiot to drive one when you're full of complimentary cocktails.

Location is everything, I guess some people like being stuck in the middle of nowhere rather than at the centre of the action.

All academic of course because you've obviously never been or you'd recognise the veracity of my comments.
Old 26 May 2008, 12:38 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
pahh my "commodore deluxe" ferry cabin was bigger then that on the way back from Amsterdam this morning
DFDS suck Micky, have they improved the minibar over and above the 2 cans of lager they used to stick in there? Last time I had to harangue them over it's inadequate nature and have a lacky sent to bring the cabin upto an acceptable level of cleanliness while I enjoyed a G+T in the scabby bar. Not only that their procedures for priority boarding were laughable, if I'd had to look at the faces of people travelling steerage for a second longer I swear I'd have screamed. I don't pay a premium to sit in a queue with Joe Schlubb.

Only decent thing about them is the Bluebird restaurant where you can have an acceptable 3 course a la carte that almost compares to something decent on land. Nice wine menu though and every time I've travelled seriously good looking, leggy eastern european girls catering to your every whim (not quite sadly). Mulţumesc never the less.........

Quick Reply: Staying in the Grand Canyon