Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oil/LNG refinery - What does a Process Operator do

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2008, 03:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Oil/LNG refinery - What does a Process Operator do

Anyone know what a Trainee Process Operator job would entail at an LNG/oil refinery?

By trainee I guess they are looking for someone young (I'm 30). I'm just thinking of trying something different and those that work on the LNG and the oil round here are on pretty good wages. I also saw someone was asking about rig work on here a while back. Many of the lads who start on the refineries go to the rigs as the money is even better.

I've got mechanical and electrical qualifications but have been in finance last 6 years.
Old 21 May 2008, 08:06 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can be anything from nice clean panel work were you watch screens all day, record parameters and make adjustments. It could also include wearing PVC suits and jet washing out the inside of vessels or tanks.

Ultimately, it could involve responding to alarms and making under pressure decisions to shut down multi million pound plants to avoid an explosion or fire that could wipe out the site and some of your neighbours!

Steve
Old 21 May 2008, 08:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said above, process operators basically "operate" the plant.

They normally "earn" there money when things start to go wrong!
Old 22 May 2008, 01:07 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
As said above, process operators basically "operate" the plant.

They normally "earn" there money when things start to go wrong!
Yep the start ups and shut downs are where you earn your money. Normal running can be days of doing very little , preparing equipment for the maintenance, reactivating or regening various reactivation beds.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:22 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Ultimately, it could involve responding to alarms and making under pressure decisions to shut down multi million pound plants to avoid an explosion or fire that could wipe out the site and some of your neighbours!
Ah, about once a week then according to some who work there.

I'm not sure what they do at the LNG plant. I get the oil refineries but the LNG is in liquid form on the boats as I understand it. Theres a huge pipe that runs from Milford Haven quite a way East that supplies the LNG.

I'm going to put my CV together and send it anyway. There is an IFA who works in another practice to ours that has a few clients that he sees when in country but also works offshore. I don't know what they are looking for or if I've got anything to offer. It asks for mechanical/electrical/computer which I have a knack for.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:07 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

i know quite a few people who are operators.i nearly got in to petroplus last year (got down to the last 15) the job basically entails running the various plants and jetties on the refinery,when you start your training they will put you on one part of the plant,train you up then test you.when you are qualified they wiil move you to another part of the refinery and so on.the money is very good for around here (30k ish when qualified) but the job is not very exciting,also you need to consider whether you will be happy working the shift system 2 days 2 nights 4 off.pulling the xmas shift must be a bummer when youve got young kids.
i think that if you apply for the texaco jobs they will call you in for an aptitude test.then a couple of interviews will follow,at some time during the interviews dont be surprised if they give you a drug test.
the lng is a different process but the skills are simular,the lng is unloaded off the tankers in chilled liquified state then warmed up and stored before getting pumped into the supply system.if the lng plants go wrong im a dead man as i can see the tanks from my bedroom window.the day the first tanker gets unloaded im leaving town just in case.

hope this helps,pm me if you have any questions i will try to answer.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:26 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> I'm not sure what they do at the LNG plant. I get the oil refineries but the
> LNG is in liquid form on the boats as I understand it.

LNG is in a liquid form on the boats as it's -160 degC, they ship it that way as they can get lots more in a boat than if it was gas. Boats bring it in then the liquid is unloaded from the boats into insulated tanks still at -160 degC. Pumps take liquid from the tanks and pass it thro vapourisers where it's warmed up by hot water from gas fired boliers. When it warms up it vapourises into gas. It's then just gas like all other natural gas in UK and is exported into the normal gas network.

> Theres a huge pipe that runs from Milford Haven quite a way East that
> supplies the LNG.

That's the export line it doesn't carry LNG it carries normal gas (vapourised LNG) into the UK gas network. Runs from Milford Haven to Gloucestershire.

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2008, 10:40 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Better start working fast, cause it's gonna run out very soon!