Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Things that Europe do where we toe the line

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 11:58 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things that Europe do where we toe the line

I do not approve of the European Union.In fact I detest it.

Just wondering what things are currently influencing the way our government is behaving.Presumably the biggest one of all is the bloomin green thing again henve the VED rip off

I just feel we have lost all of our influence to run our own country without even a chance to oppose what is being done/decided.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

VED is not a european thing. Most of Europe does not have VED.

The Environmental issues would apply whether we were part of the EU or not.

Europe has very little influence in terms of your day to day life.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:09 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

You think our VED is a rip off. You need to look at the tax on Cars in Denmark...........
Old 09 May 2008, 12:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

They accept women with hairy arm pits.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:20 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

what would be the benifits if we left the E.U. ??
Old 09 May 2008, 12:23 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
what would be the benifits if we left the E.U. ??
Dunno...maybe shut our borders to the immigrants without having to ask, then sort out all the problems we have here 1st.

IMHO.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:28 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
VED is not a european thing. Most of Europe does not have VED.

The Environmental issues would apply whether we were part of the EU or not.

I thought there was some deal with the EU countries about cutting all our emissions...hence a good reason/excuse/reason for our lot to apply it to cars in the UK.Part a good excuse,part a nice bit of extra tax

If you see what I mean

As to day to day lives,the Human Rights Act imposed on us seems to have been adversley influential in so many ways.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
I
As to day to day lives,the Human Rights Act imposed on us seems to have been adversley influential in so many ways.
For example?

The problem is that the Murdoch Media and the Mail etc, are massively anti Europe. Therefore there is lots of plain old bollocks printed about the EU and its legislation and how it affects us.

Most people would struggle to give one genuine way the EU had an adverse personal effect thier lives
Originally Posted by lozgti
I thought there was some deal with the EU countries about cutting all our emissions...hence a good reason/excuse/reason for our lot to apply it to cars in the UK.Part a good excuse,part a nice bit of extra tax
A lot of Europe is implictly against such measures. Germany, France & Italy are enourmous car producers. What effect would it have in the GDP of those countries if cars stop selling die to prohibitive taxes on vehicles?

Most of the world has now signed up to reducing carbon emission. If we weren't in the EU, we would still have signed up to it.

The fact we are in the EU means that there is a fair reduction across the board. If we were not part of the EU, perhpas we would have been obliged to cut 50% CO2 emissions by year X, whereas Germany, or France would only have to cut 25% by year X.

UKIP and the rest of the anti Europe brigade, want all the benefits of free trade with Europe, with none of the contributions. As soon as something doesn;t go thier way, they go runnign the ECHR (Take the Idris case with the speed cameras, all of the sudden Europe was great as far as SN was concerned when it looked with the EU might actually overturn something they didn;t like) In other words, they want to able to have thier cake and eat it. It doesn't work like that.
Old 09 May 2008, 01:12 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

they do manage to waste £160million pa on their monthly office move, and are completly unaccountable (who else can vote to keep their audit results private!)

The EU may have some use, but the Euro Paliament just seems to be a cushy retirement job for MPs.

Post offices are closing because EU regs state that post services can't be subsidised by the state, making the post office inefficient.
How does that benefit the tens of thausands of old people who rely on their local post office, as about the only place they can get to?

EU procurement regs make bidding for service unaffordable for many small organisations, particulary 3rd sector.
You don't have to look hard to see examples of EU laws acting to the detriment of the British public.
Old 09 May 2008, 02:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My beef isn't with the EC, it's with the totally ****, forelock-tugging British governments.

In EVERY other European state, the SAME laws are imposed as are imposed on us.

The difference is that the other states look at the law, and ask two questions: "Does it benefit the state?", and "does it benefit the population?".

If the answer to neither question is yes, they ignore it.

Meanwhile, our lot enforce EVERY little piece of legislation, (unless it threatens to take money out of the government's pocket.........see Francis vs UK government, and the working time directives), and enforce it to the hilt. They then hold up their hands in horror, telling us, "WE didn't bring in THAT law, it was those nasty Europeans".

And no, it's NOT just Labour, (although they have it down to a fine art ), the Tories did it too under Thatcher and Major

Alcazar
Old 09 May 2008, 02:27 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

UKIP for the win!

UK Independence Party - UKIP.org Home
Old 09 May 2008, 05:52 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Most people would struggle to give one genuine way the EU had an adverse personal effect thier lives

Ask a fisherman what he thinks.
How about the 213 billion we have poured into it since 1973, not exactly cheap. You dont need to be a part of Europe to be part of the free trade agreement.

How do you put a price on a countrys soverignty and independance. Is it not up to the UK to decide ts own fate rather than let Beaurocrats we did not vote for do it for us ?
Old 09 May 2008, 08:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang

How do you put a price on a countrys soverignty and independance. Is it not up to the UK to decide ts own fate rather than let Beaurocrats we did not vote for do it for us ?
Did you read my post? NONE of the other EC countries suffer in the way we do, yet ALL have the same laws.

Ergo: it's NOT the EC that are doing it to us, it's OUR OWN GOVERNMENT!!

Alcazar
Old 09 May 2008, 10:04 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

What I like about other EC countries, eg France and Italy, is that that they play the game, say yes to eveything, then continue as usual and do nothing.

The EC in is great in theory, but is about as useful as the UN ie just a load more expensive beurocracy). Burma?

Richard.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly agnostic on the EU, I think that it has done great things for development in poorer EU nations, and brought stability. Which in themselves a genuine achievements that should be applauded. I'm not so positive about the benefits it has brought to our shores though. I believe a series of UK governments have been guilty of stealth on this issue.

I do wish people would stop banging on about the Human Rights act though, what's the alternative 'the Anti-Human Right Act', maybe we should of joined China and not signed it!!
Old 09 May 2008, 10:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

European union, what a load of sh it.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:56 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

I do not like the fact failed asylum seekers can have their case re-heard in the european court of law, where the hell is the sanity in that, whats final should be final, just tht it isn't...is it?

I agree our own government are more than to blame for most things, but I do not think being in europe benefits us that greatly.

Oh yes, fvck the Euro too.....;-)
Old 10 May 2008, 10:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
I do not like the fact failed asylum seekers can have their case re-heard in the european court of law, where the hell is the sanity in that, whats final should be final, just tht it isn't...is it?
Again, the Euro states that have the SAME Euro laws are ignoring this: Italy just chucked out over a thousand Eastern Europeans without any comeback.

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Oh yes, fvck the Euro too.....;-)
With the £ having dropped from €1.63 on the inception of the Euro, to a present €1.18, and having lost €0.20 in the last 6 months, it's the Euro that's gonna **** US soon!!!

We're SOOOOOOOOO going to wish we'd gone in when we could have............

Alcazar
Old 10 May 2008, 10:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Europe has very little influence in terms of your day to day life.
Im essentially pro-Europe; but this statement is absolute rubbish Pete... Europe has a massive influence!
Old 12 May 2008, 11:42 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

i used to be sitting on the fence but leaning very slightly anti Europe but not anymore!!

I have found that i have become more and more pro Europe over the last few years as i feel that Europe and the EU are about the only thing that we have to protect overselves from our own Govt

Very sad state of affairs but at least the will of the people is heard over there (admittedly over the top of burning barricades of straw and tractors!!)
Old 12 May 2008, 03:30 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by alcazar
Did you read my post? NONE of the other EC countries suffer in the way we do, yet ALL have the same laws.

Ergo: it's NOT the EC that are doing it to us, it's OUR OWN GOVERNMENT!!

Alcazar
There are none so blind as those that refuse to see Alcazar

Europe has always been a perfect scapegoat for politicians of both parties when they've wanted to enact anything that's likely to upset the masses
Old 12 May 2008, 06:56 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Again, the Euro states that have the SAME Euro laws are ignoring this: Italy just chucked out over a thousand Eastern Europeans without any comeback.

With the £ having dropped from €1.63 on the inception of the Euro, to a present €1.18, and having lost €0.20 in the last 6 months, it's the Euro that's gonna **** US soon!!!

We're SOOOOOOOOO going to wish we'd gone in when we could have............

Alcazar

lol...you still won't sell me on the Euro..

As for the eyties, well done to em, I think old Gordon should grow some *****....or re-find them, and follow the lead