Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting to Barcelona?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2008, 08:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting to Barcelona?

Advice please on flying to Barcelona for good price.

I understand that there are 3 airports, 2 of them being way out of town but of course these are cheaper to get to. But is it worth it and what is public transport like to City?

UK Gatwick would be ideal but other SE Airports like S'ton would be OK. Assume Heathrow would be expensive. Which airline to use please?

So comments from seasoned Barcelona peeps welcome please. TIA, David
Old 05 May 2008, 09:35 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Easyjet from Gatwick may well be the cheapest. It depends how far in advance you can book, if early, then try Heathrow. Flying with BA or Iberia (Star Alliance Partner) will cost you £80 upwards if you go through an agent.

I made the mistake a few weeks ago of flying to Girona (nr Barcelona) from Bournemouth with Ryan Air. The main reason was cost (£50 rtn) plus Bournemouth is closer to me than Heathrow.

IMO it was a huge mistake. When you get to Girona, you have to get a taxi to the train station that was about €20, the train from Girona to Barcelona Sants (central station) was about €5 but took about 90minutes to get to Barcelona!

On the way back, I missed the train to Girona so in order to catch my flight, I had to get a taxi which cost me about €200, but the worst was to come.

On arriving at Girona and waiting in line at the check out, I eventually got to the front only to be told that I would have to pay to check my bag in and pay for a boarding pass as I didn't print one out before arriving at the aiprort (I'm in Barcelon on a stag do, FFS when am I going to get the chance to print out a boarding card? So that was an extra €15, which I thought what the hey, I just wanted to get home. Here is the kicker!!! I was then told I had to queue at another desk as they couldn't take payment at the check in desk. To make it worse the queue at the desk where you had to pay was 20 deep so that added another hour to the frustration, good job I was there early.

In summary, F Ryan Air spend a little extra, go from Heathrow and experience some proper service.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for that VB. V useful d
Old 06 May 2008, 12:16 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moneysupermarket.com do a price comparison on flights.