Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 04:36 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

From sky news.....

UNITED AGREE BECKS SALE

Manchester United have agreed to sell David Beckham to Barcelona.

United said they have accepted an offer and will sell their star player if a number of conditions are met.

The sale will only go through if Beckham can agree personal terms with Barcelona - and Joan Laporta is elected president of the Spanish club.

Barcelona hold an election for president on June 15.

A statement on United's website says: "Manchester United confirms that club officials have met Joan Laporta, the leading candidate for the Presidency of Barcelona.

"These meetings have resulted in an offer being made for the transfer of David Beckham to Barcelona.

"This offer is subject to a number of conditions and critically to both Mr Laporta being elected President on Sunday 15 June and Barcelona subsequently reaching agreement with David Beckham on his personal contract.

"Manchester United confirms that in the event that all of the conditions are fulfilled then the offer would be acceptable."

The announcement follows feverish recent speculation about Beckham's future.

Newspaper reports said Barcelona's arch rivals Real Madrid were favourites to sign the England captain.

He was also reportedly wanted by Italian rivals AC and Inter Milan, although all three clubs publicly insisted they were not after him.

Beckham, 28, signed for United as a schoolboy and fulfilled his childhood dream by signing a professional contract in 1993.

He has remained at Old Trafford ever since, breaking into the first team at the age of 18.

Despite a reportedly difficult relationship with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Beckham has always referred to him as "a father figure" and repeatedly pledged his loyalty to the club.

Less than 24 hours before the deal to sell him to Barcelona was announced, Beckham told journalists: "As long as they want me, then I'll stay."
Old 10 June 2003, 04:38 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

I bet he doesn't end up there though.
Old 10 June 2003, 04:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He's staying.
Old 10 June 2003, 04:39 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Get The Right Forum Next Time
Old 10 June 2003, 05:09 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Hey, I can't help it if more people read NSR than sports
Old 10 June 2003, 05:27 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Hey no Riff Raff from NSR
Old 10 June 2003, 07:01 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Red face

I seriously can't see him acepting the offer from Barcelona. Why would he go to a club thats 8th in their league and wont play any CL football next season let alone be in UEFA.

I think it's a sad day as obviously Beck's days are numbered. I feel he has been pushed out and thats just not right when it comes to a player of his class. If we dont get Ronaldinhio (and thats less likly with real getting involved) who is going to replace a player like beckham? There are few who can work the ball from spot kicks etc like becks. He is a potential match winner and the captin of England.

I will be sorry to see him go.