Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2008, 12:06 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown....Absolute hipacrite

Brown calls for pressure on OPEC on oil price - Yahoo! News UK

Is he now desperate!

What the ****, calling on the oil companys to bring the cost of fuel down.

How about cut 20p worth of tax off of it I'm affraid Brown that your days are numbered, pointless trying to throw in sweetners now
Old 04 May 2008, 12:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Brown calls for pressure on OPEC on oil price - Yahoo! News UK

Is he now desperate!

What the ****, calling on the oil companys to bring the cost of fuel down.

How about cut 20p worth of tax off of it I'm affraid Brown that your days are numbered, pointless trying to throw in sweetners now
But fuel duty is a fixed amount, not a percentage. The cost of fuel has risen because of demand and the fuel companies raising their prices accordingly (or more than accordingly probably given their profits).

Yes he has benefited from the additional VAT revenues, but the majority of the recent price rises are from the oil companies. It's not like the rest of the world hasn't seen a rise too.

No fan of Brown, but you can't lay the blame for everything at his door.

Oh and it's hypocrite btw

Last edited by f1_fan; 04 May 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04 May 2008, 12:17 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is,that when oil prices have dropped in the past.fuel in this country has still Remained the same price,or has still gone up in price..they could drop the price in fuel anyway..it's just about Robbing every penny out of us as usual..
Old 04 May 2008, 12:27 PM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

So when the government put 2p on a litre (yearly or more) what is the excuse then? is it the oil company pleading for a rise........ I think not
Old 04 May 2008, 12:29 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

this country is on its 4rse, fuel tax,car tax,stamp duty, home packs, congestion charges, co2 charges and the list goes on and on ..and the only answer is to let the immigrants in so we can have cheap strawberrys and cheap plucked chickens but overloaded schools and the nhs as a consequence which will have to be funded by???? back to the top of this message.incompetent fools its about time the ordinary man in the street had a go at running this country instead of these idiots who have been living in Lar lar land
Old 04 May 2008, 12:34 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
But fuel duty is a fixed amount, not a percentage. The cost of fuel has risen because of demand and the fuel companies raising their prices accordingly (or more than accordingly probably given their profits).

Yes he has benefited from the additional VAT revenues, but the majority of the recent price rises are from the oil companies. It's not like the rest of the world hasn't seen a rise too.

No fan of Brown, but you can't lay the blame for everything at his door.

Oh and it's hypocrite btw
If you read the link it say's that there is not a big demand at the moment. All Brown is trying to do is get on the voters side by saying he is against the fuel cost. I bet if he had'nt got hammered in the polls this thread would'nt even exist

Oh and thanks for the spelling lesson
Old 04 May 2008, 12:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Troulbe is, if you drop 20p from the fuel duty - How do you replace the lost tax revenue? It's got to come from somewhere.

Why should people that don't drive, pay for us to have cheaper fuel?
Old 04 May 2008, 12:50 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

why should it have to be replaced? if the country survived last year on x amount then why can't it survive this year on the same, how many of us didn't have a payrise this year so that means we have to survive a year on last year moneys so if we can do it then so can the country.
Old 04 May 2008, 12:55 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mal_howarth
So when the government put 2p on a litre (yearly or more) what is the excuse then? is it the oil company pleading for a rise........ I think not
It's more like 2p every few days at the moment
Old 04 May 2008, 12:56 PM
Lisawrx

Maybe the higher amount of tax I am now paying, along with many others due to the 10p tax abolition may help claw back funds.
Old 04 May 2008, 01:00 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
why should it have to be replaced? if the country survived last year on x amount then why can't it survive this year on the same, how many of us didn't have a payrise this year so that means we have to survive a year on last year moneys so if we can do it then so can the country.
It is survivng on the same. The fuel duty last year was 50p, the same as this year - It goes up to 52p in October.

We have a budget defecit of £43billion. If you reduce the fuel duty by 20p, then that deficit will rise substantially.

The only revenue that gets affected by fuel costs is , of course, VAT - which as a percentage will rise and fall according to the overall cost.

So once the price of oil falls (which it will at some point) then the VAT revenue is reduced.
Old 04 May 2008, 01:12 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

So let me get this right.

50p a litre is tax

say £1.10 a litre total with 16.3p vat

So on a litre of fuel the tax man gets 63.3p a litre of the £1.10 cost
Old 04 May 2008, 01:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Troulbe is, if you drop 20p from the fuel duty - How do you replace the lost tax revenue? It's got to come from somewhere.

because people that drive, are paying for people who dont drive, to have shopping centers and hospitals ??

because the cash is not spent on the road network, that much is a safe bet
Old 04 May 2008, 01:21 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

So let me get this right.

50p a litre is tax

say £1.10 a litre total with 16.3p vat

So on a litre of fuel the tax man gets 63.3p a litre of the £1.10 cost
That's about right.

You could *possibly* argue for a sliding scale on the VAT, so that say the tax man needs to take a minimum of , say, 58p you adjust the VAT percentage accordingly.

But it would be a legislative nightmare. You would have all sorts of companies and industries wnating the same treatment.

As a general rule, where the sale is from Business to consumer, then you have to charge VAT (there are some exceptions that are zero rated - Food, childrens clothes etc)
Old 04 May 2008, 01:24 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

That's about right.

You could *possibly* argue for a sliding scale on the VAT, so that say the tax man needs to take a minimum of , say, 58p you adjust the VAT percentage accordingly.

But it would be a legislative nightmare. You would have all sorts of companies and industries wnating the same treatment.

As a general rule, where the sale is from Business to consumer, then you have to charge VAT (there are some exceptions that are zero rated - Food, childrens clothes etc)
I'm not too bothered by VAT, they can charge what they want because i don't pay it
Old 04 May 2008, 01:24 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
because people that drive, are paying for people who dont drive, to have shopping centers and hospitals ??

because the cash is not spent on the road network, that much is a safe bet
You can choose not to pay the tax, by not driving ( id ont mean not driving full stop, if you cut your driving down, then you reduce your tax). If you put it on, say income tax, then you pay regardless.

In other words, the money has to come from somewhere, you will have to pay it whether it is on your fuel or on your income.
Old 04 May 2008, 01:27 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I'm not too bothered by VAT, they can charge what they want because i don't pay it
Well there you go! You are paying exactly the same as last year (in terms of tax) on your fuel.

So if you want the price of fuel to come down, then you should be starting threads on getting the oil companies to reduce thier "cut" form the forecourt, not the government.

This will represent a real drop in cost to you - If the government drops the fuel duty, it would claw it back from some other portion of your income.
Old 04 May 2008, 01:28 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Goodbye Red Ken. Goodbye Labour!
Old 04 May 2008, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I keep telling you how Pete, and you never have an answer to what I say. It is so simple.

Get rid of the vast and useless bureaucracy which is costing us billions and is doing nothing good for this country. The taxes being wasted by this grossly incompetent government is absolutely shameful. Thousands and thousands of advisors who are obviously unable to do the job. Too many sinecures which are crippling us for their convenience. Money being thrown at useless and undeserving organisations.

This gross overtaxing that is going on just does not have to happen. We are slaves to their dogma which is a failure in just about every respect.

Les
Old 04 May 2008, 01:32 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I keep telling you how Pete, and you never have an answer to what I say. It is so simple.

Get rid of the vast and useless bureaucracy which is costing us billions and is doing nothing good for this country. The taxes being wasted by this grossly incompetent government is absolutely shameful. Thousands and thousands of advisors who are obviously unable to do the job. Too many sinecures which are crippling us for their convenience. Money being thrown at useless and undeserving organisations.

This gross overtaxing that is going on just do not have to happen. We are slaves to their dogma which is a failure in just about every respect.

Les
Well said!
Old 04 May 2008, 01:33 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Its all correlated, and it all goes into one big pocket. The problem is that the pocket has huge holes in it which are NHS and Benefits and not to say the war in Iraq which is costing billions.
The England is too small to rely on its industries taxes and there are practically no natural resources so everything has to be imported. It is simply like having a mortgage that you cannot cover with your monthly payments, thats why the deficit keeps raising, an the government is coming up with even more sillier ways how to take money from its citizens. Its Ship Money all over again...
Old 04 May 2008, 01:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Get rid of the vast and useless bureaucracy which is costing us billions and is doing nothing good for this country.
What is that figure? How much is wasted in bureaucracy? Do you know, for fact what the number is?

We know, for a fact, that the TOries ar ecommited to Labours spending plans and absolutely will not drop taxes in thier first term. Therefore this red top favourite saying of "wated billions" is just that, paper talk - We do not know whether it is a significant problem or not.

It is all supposition.

If there was a way to signifcantly reduce tax, without reducing services do you not think that Labour would do it?

The taxes being wasted by this grossly incompetent government is absolutely shameful. Thousands a thousands of advisors who are obviously unable to do the job. Too many sinecures which are crippling us for their convenience. Money being thrown at useless and undeserving organisations.
Again, paper talk.

This gross overtaxing that is going on just do not have to happen. We are slaves to their dogma which is a failure in just about every respect.

Les
The avergae tax burden per capita as a percentage is exactly the same as it was in '86, Les, exactly the same.

There's your answer
Old 04 May 2008, 02:00 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
Its all correlated, and it all goes into one big pocket. The problem is that the pocket has huge holes in it which are NHS and Benefits and not to say the war in Iraq which is costing billions.
The England is too small to rely on its industries taxes and there are practically no natural resources so everything has to be imported. It is simply like having a mortgage that you cannot cover with your monthly payments, thats why the deficit keeps raising, an the government is coming up with even more sillier ways how to take money from its citizens. Its Ship Money all over again...
I think what the goverment are also failing to understand is,that they keep wanting more and more money,and are getting a big chunk of it from fuel.But most people who get their **** out of bed every morning to go to work,are not getting a pay rise.The noose is getting tighter and people just haven't got anymore money to give.But like everyone keeps saying,the Goverment don't live in reality.
Old 04 May 2008, 05:49 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Well said!
I'll second that. And to Pete B, let's have the chance to find out if billions wasted on bureaucracy is 'paper talk' by getting proper business leaders in and doing a review of spending. Think you'll find it isn't just the red tops that come to this conclusion of waste. The only one that doesn't is the guardian. Now there's a surprise.
dnc
Old 04 May 2008, 06:04 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

He should also be looking at VED with a view to cutting it big time instead of taxing the motorist off the road maybe base it on an annual mileage
Old 04 May 2008, 06:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

What annoyed me most about his interview was the very thought that he would intervene in the Housing Market!!!!!!!

JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

It will find it's level at which 1st time buyers can start buying again ..... a 35% drop in values will help the youngsters far more than some shared ownership scheme!!!!
Old 04 May 2008, 06:18 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

But - he feels our pain.....

Yea right.... But Mr Bean - you are the cause of our pain

Andrew Marr was funny: "Prime Minister... how can I put this gently?

You're a bit weird!"

PMSL
Old 04 May 2008, 06:19 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
I'll second that. And to Pete B, let's have the chance to find out if billions wasted on bureaucracy is 'paper talk' by getting proper business leaders in and doing a review of spending. Think you'll find it isn't just the red tops that come to this conclusion of waste. The only one that doesn't is the guardian. Now there's a surprise.
dnc
It's gone very quiet on the "wasted billions" front since the 2005 election. In the run up to that election, the Tories told us how the could cut £7 Billion from public spending through cutting red tape. Since Cameron came is (somehwat more of a realist) the Tories are making no such claims at all. Why? Because they know the savings don't exist.

Again, ask yourself this, what would be the simplest way for Labour to dig themselve sout of the current hole? By saying "look we are going to lower taxes and cut red tape". Why don't they do it? Because the savings don't exist.

All parties, inclusing the Tories, recognise that you cannot have good public services and cut spending. It just doesn't work.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the money can't be spent better - I am sure there ware ways of making the money work better, but it needs to spent either way.

It;s a completely moot point regardless. Whoever gets in power will not be cutting fuel duty _ it simply is not going to happen. The only thing that will reduce forecourt costs is a reduction in the price of oil. Which, once confidence in the dollar picks up, should happen.
Originally Posted by pslewis
What annoyed me most about his interview was the very thought that he would intervene in the Housing Market!!!!!!!

JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

It will find it's level at which 1st time buyers can start buying again ..... a 35% drop in values will help the youngsters far more than some shared ownership scheme!!!!
Agreed. Any intervention will just delay the inevitable and make it all the more painful when it does happen.
Old 04 May 2008, 06:36 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

If there was a way to signifcantly reduce tax, without reducing services do you not think that Labour would do it?
Wasn't it labour that joined us into the EU which is costing us millions (including all this compensation to criminals due to human rights), and wasn't it labour that joined us in the iraq war which is costing billions?
who was it that had the millenium dome built which is still costing millions?

simple of ways to cut tax/ expenditure -
stop paying illegal immigrants to go home - just send them packing
check people out who are on benefits, if they're fit to work stop paying them disability allowance - if they're claiming when they shouldn't be then prosecute them and stop their benefits and make them pay all the money back
stop making prisons like holiday camps - take away tvs, playstations, give them basic food - this would cut costs
Old 04 May 2008, 06:48 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Joining the EU was the conservatives under Ted Heath in 1973 BBC ON THIS DAY | 1 | 1973: Britain joins the EEC