Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Numbers not looking too promising for Labour so far

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2008, 12:52 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numbers not looking too promising for Labour so far

And the Labour MP is doing such an outstanding job on Sky News defending the seat losses so far.

Will tomorrow evening see Ken packing his sneeky half bottle of scotch away for the last time... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease say yes lol

Watch out Brown, me thinks your days might actually be numbered now the UK has been given a voice.

Could be totally wrong, but I can hope eh
Old 02 May 2008, 07:29 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

oohhhhhh please, I cant stand the excitement. Please, please, pretty please, will the people of London sort out **** ken once and for all.

tonight we should know for good and if ken gets back in, I am seriously thinking of relocating our business elsewhere apart from the capital
Old 02 May 2008, 07:33 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Absoultley mullered by the look of things,

I see a vote of no confidence in bottler coming up.

guess his legacy will be a peach,

the man who brought down the labour party,

mind you it was dead man walking, once the other half of the disaster duo bailed out.:

Mart
Old 02 May 2008, 07:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Juts had some NL puppet on saying that they have some work to do - no ****!

cons 44%
Lib Dims 25%
Brown Labour 24%Behind the Lib Dims FFS - splendid!

Brown stated he wanted to be judged on his results/record - early indications are not that good Gogs!

Labour can say what they want about it being the local elections - this is all about Labour and the big picture - if they feel that it is local then call a general now and put you money where your spin is!

Abolishing the 10p tax is the final straw for brown

Beaten by the Lib Dems - LOL!

Last edited by The Zohan; 02 May 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:03 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Lol, oh dear.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Worst performance for 40 years by the sounds of things.

However, traditionally mid terms are always bad for the encumberant government - Labour had just 26% of the vote in 2004, but then won the General Election in 2005.

The good thing is I think both Labour and conservative both know they really have to pull all the stops out to secure the vote, so you may seem some policy changes.

Also good news was the total lack of gain from the BNP or UKIP.

By all accounts, although counting is about to start, exit polls, and part activist reports on both sides, suggets that Boris has got the Mayors job.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Worst performance for 40 years by the sounds of things.

However, traditionally mid terms are always bad for the encumberant government - Labour had just 26% of the vote in 2004, but then won the General Election in 2005.

The good thing is I think both Labour and conservative both know they really have to pull all the stops out to secure the vote, so you may seem some policy changes.

Also good news was the total lack of gain from the BNP or UKIP.

By all accounts, although counting is about to start, exit polls, and part activist reports on both sides, suggets that Boris has got the Mayors job.
I do hope the Tories start to formulate some decent policies rather than their current marketing strategy - if they can do that then they are in a great position. Cameroon is not exactly slick and personable, compared to Brown he is George Clooney.

NL are pretty much buggered, charisma-less leader, poorly thought out policies, little trust or belief in them. They are being hoisted by their (collective) petards.
Old 02 May 2008, 09:07 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

NL are pretty much buggered, charisma-less leader, poorly thought out policies, little trust or belief in them. They are being hoisted by their (collective) petards.
I think Labour will be desperately hoping that the economy will be up, the house price crash will be done and dusted and back on the rise, fuel and food prices will be down, and that the credit crunch will be over, by the time he calls an election in 2010 ('cos is there is one before that, I'll eat my hat).

If there is any hint of the current troubles, then Labour themselves will be in trouble. Perhaps not to the landslide proportions we saw in '83 and '97, but certainly not in government.
Old 02 May 2008, 09:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Great stuff: Labour and that scruffy scots pension thief on the skids.

Maybe this: Ruling on EU Treaty vote bid - AOL News
will put another nail in their coffin.

I can but hope

Alcazar
Old 02 May 2008, 09:34 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol I always love the statements from the parties at times like this.
Downing Street are quoted as saying is was "a bad night" .... no **** !! lol

Some serious damage has been done by Brown to the reputation of the party and a lot needs to be done to restore faith. Its just sad to see all the loyal idiots scrambling about to find positives in it all.

In the name of fairness, IF Boris has won, it will be interesting to look back in a years time to see if those dead against him are willing to take a close look at what he has done, and see if they are willing to admit that positive change has come from it all (if indeed it has)

Seeing the blackwall tunnel tidal flow re-open, and a change to the way the CC is charged and billed etc will be positive too.

Bikes in the bus lanes, bendy buses off the road, and an expenses page appearing on the Mayoral website will also be a positive.

But lets wait and see I guess, it could still be Ken getting in eh.

In the meantime, I would love to be a fly on the wall in 10 Downing Street now, and listen to what Brown is saying..

Reshuffle anyone ?
Old 02 May 2008, 09:42 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
Reshuffle anyone ?
I will be having a shuffle of my own tonight if Boris gets in
Old 02 May 2008, 09:49 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like someone's up to their old tricks again BBC NEWS | England | London | Inquiry into spoilt ballot papers

After the result, can we feed Ken to the lions at the zoo?
Old 02 May 2008, 09:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Looks like someone's up to their old tricks again BBC NEWS | England | London | Inquiry into spoilt ballot papers

After the result, can we feed Ken to the lions at the zoo?
Chances are he would kill 'em, Ken the weasel is poison!

better still tie his arms to the back two bendy busses, facing in the opposite direction and literally let rip!
Old 02 May 2008, 09:54 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I will be having a shuffle of my own tonight if Boris gets in

That confirms a few suspicions...
Old 02 May 2008, 10:13 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Chances are he would kill 'em, Ken the weasel is poison!

better still tie his arms to the back two bendy busses, facing in the opposite direction and literally let rip!
I like that idea
lol @ Swiss, you dirty thing!

Spoilt ballot papers, now there is a shocker eh!

Loving Brown on Sky News at the mo, trying to put on a brave face
Old 02 May 2008, 10:19 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Boris Johnson is predicted to win, and to become the most powerful conservative in the country, you couldn't make it up

I'm not sure if this a good thing or not for the Tories, they all have to hold their collective breaths between now an the next general election hoping that Boris doesn't drop the ball. It's going to be entertaining.
Old 02 May 2008, 10:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Boris Johnson is predicted to win, and to become the most powerful conservative in the country, you couldn't make it up

I'm not sure if this a good thing or not for the Tories, they all have to hold their collective breaths between now an the next general election hoping that Boris doesn't drop the ball. It's going to be entertaining.
Same could have been said for Red Ken a few years back as well
Only swap Labour for conservative as required
Old 02 May 2008, 10:36 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Same could have been said for Red Ken a few years back as well
Only swap Labour for conservative as required
Well I don't want to find myself in a position where I'm defending Livingstone, but at least he has/had adminstrative skills and experience, what has Boris got?

It's hard not to like Johnson he's quite an engaging guy, but he also an absolutely baffoon. I can see this all ending in tears.

What a terrible choice voters of London have had.
Old 02 May 2008, 10:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Well I don't want to find myself in a position where I'm defending Livingstone, but at least he has/had adminstrative skills and experience, what has Boris got?

It's hard not to like Johnson he's quite an engaging guy, but he also an absolutely baffoon. I can see this all ending in tears.

If Barking Boris does get in then it speaks volumes about Londoners' opinions of Key and his policies.

Good to see you still sticking up for your right-on leftie chums

I hope someone presents Ken with a 'gis a job' t-shirt as and when he looses
Old 02 May 2008, 10:49 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If Barking Boris does get in then it speaks volumes about Londoners' opinions of Key and his policies.

Good to see you still sticking up for your right-on leftie chums

I hope someone presents Ken with a 'gis a job' t-shirt as and when he looses
What no homo-erotic overtones, you disappoint me
Old 02 May 2008, 10:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

What no homo-erotic overtones, you disappoint me
You would like that...wouldn't you...
Old 02 May 2008, 11:30 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

In fairness though, everyone has to start somewhere. If that arguement was used across the board, no one would ever be fit for PM or Mayor again.

Common sense, a clear mind, and an open ear is whats needed at the start. The admin is taken care of by those qualified to do so, as are any consultations etc. Boris needs to make the right decisions based on the best advice.

Just like Gordon did with Northern Rock, after being incharge of money for 10 years, he took advice from others

Right now, I just want Ken out. I might yet have to eat my hat if Boris gets in and screws it up, but thats a chance im willing to take to get Ken out
Old 02 May 2008, 11:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Some of the resuts are amazing, the Con wins where the council has been Labour controlled (predominantly) for nearly 30 years (Redditch for example)
Old 02 May 2008, 12:03 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Livingstone might bring experience but Boris brings integrity.

Boris might be a buffoon but at least what you see is what you get.

Just because the man puts his foot in it from time to time does that make him incapable of doing the job?

Look at Livingstone's history of gaffes.

I simply can't imagine Boris being as duplicitous as Livingstone has proved he can be. Boris appears not to have the wit. but as i said that doesn't mean he hasn't got the savvy to appreciate what London needs and how to implement it.

Labour (if they lose) will throw everything at him. let them as it shows us yet again what they are really made of.
Old 02 May 2008, 12:42 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

As a newbie to politics, what do the results actually mean?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Brown 'disappointed' by poll loss

The table on the right hand side is showing labour losing 184 councillors and conservatives gaining 166 councillors.

Does that mean seats in parliament? If so would that not put labour in a minority in their own parliament? Do the seats change straight away as a result from these local elections?

Whats the difference between these local elections and a GE then? Apart from the obvious change in power.

New to this politics game, just trying to understand it all a little better.

Mitch
Old 02 May 2008, 12:46 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

in London, 20% of the count in the 14 boroughs is complete. johnson leads in 10, livingstone in 4 (BBC). massive turnout in the 'burbs it seems: the silent majority strikes back i hope.

nationwide, old labour have so far lost 250 seats and 8 councils; tories have won 178 seats and 8 councils (Sky). apparently a loss of 200 is the dividing line between a 'bad' result and a 'disastrous' one.

this bank holiday just keeps looking up ...

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 02 May 2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: it just keeps getting worse for the squatter in No.10 ...
Old 02 May 2008, 12:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I have to say I'm amazed with the quote on that page:

BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson said that, although counting only began at 0830 and a result is not expected until the late afternoon at the earliest, all sides believe Mr Johnson will win.
I thought that Boris had an outside chance but not a 'sure thing'.

Steve
Old 02 May 2008, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Martin, you seem to spend your life defending both sides to the best of your ability. One day you will have to make a meaningful decision. It gets "**** numbing" in the end sitting on the fence all the time.

I do however find the news about vote rigging the most disturbing bit so far. If that becomes rife-we are a lost nation! Zimbabwe here we come!!! Or the USA for that matter.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 02 May 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02 May 2008, 12:51 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Does that mean seats in parliament? If so would that not put labour in a minority in their own parliament? Do the seats change straight away as a result from these local elections?

Whats the difference between these local elections and a GE then? Apart from the obvious change in power.
These are local elections - for local councils. You are voting for councillors in these elections - Not for MP's.

Your MP is there to represent you in Parliament. Your local council concerns itself solely with local issues. It has no parlimentary power.

Typically, a local council will have a number of councillors. When a party gains overall control of a council, it means that the number of councillors that party has in that coucil, outnumbers all other councillors from other parties put together.

Last nights votes have no impact at all on paliament in terms of MPs. By-elections and General elections are for MP's which is a different matter entirely.

It is not unusual to have a local council run by one party, and the MP for that constituancy be from a different party.

Quick Reply: Numbers not looking too promising for Labour so far