Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

time for sky+ upgrade - any advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2008, 03:21 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for sky+ upgrade - any advice please?

you're a knowledgeable bunch, so i'd be grateful for any advice...

i am all cabled up for sky+. I have 4no. CT100 cables running from my lounge to the sky dish but I only have the original LNB for my standard sky subscription. All cables are terminated at F connector sockets under the TV and I am currently just running a pace sky digibox.

I would like to connect a sky+ box, with the upgrade in subscription (and to go for phone and broadband with Sky as well) but keep my original sky box. Now, with a quad LNB I think this is quite simple - 2 cables for the new box, one for the old one and a spare in case I upgrade sky to sky+. I don't want to go for multiroom - just to use the original box for satellite freeview.

I know I could climb up on the roof and fit my own quad LNB (certainly and option as they're cheap enough and look simple enough to fit), but I would be grateful for any advice.

TIA
Old 30 April 2008, 03:25 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

thought I should also add that
1) thought about buying the box from currys or similar but wondered if anyone knew of any forthcominng deals like the £29 one just before Christmas
2) thought about ebay...any experience of this anyone? how easy was it to set up with sky customer services?
3) been reading av forums, digital spy etc and I am confident with cabling etc etc, so although my terminology may not be up to scratch, i am not afraid of doiing things myself
Old 30 April 2008, 04:00 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I installed my Sky+, dish, LNB, etc myself a few years ago. The hardest part of the job was getting something sensible out of Sky when trying to subscribe.

I'd imagine it being much easier with you already having a subscription with them though.
Old 30 April 2008, 04:27 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

installed it when you built the house? my installation has come about as part of my home extension and network installation...now ready to finish it off!

where did you buy the bits? i was just going to buy the quad lnb from maplin or an onliine store but not sure about the + box
Old 01 May 2008, 02:47 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

anyone else?
Old 01 May 2008, 04:23 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
where did you buy the bits? i was just going to buy the quad lnb from maplin or an onliine store but not sure about the + box
I bought the Sky+ box from a company I found on the net. It came with a quad LNB in the box. I bought the dish off ebay.

There's usually loads of quad LNB's listed on ebay; I'd hazard a guess that will be cheaper than Maplin. Might even find some Sky+ boxes on there.
Old 01 May 2008, 05:27 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard,

When I had mine upgraded to Sky+, the guy just pulled off the LNB and pushed on the new one, he didn't need to do any other adjustments on the dish side of things. Can't help you with the other q's I'm afraid.

Allan
Old 01 May 2008, 08:27 PM
Rubberscooby
Scooby Regular

when I got sky + 2 years ago I just rang sky and complained that new customers got a better deal than loyal customers who have been with them for years on a the top package ! So they did it for the price of a new customer.

Dont know what the price difference is now but maybe that could be a way to go.
Old 02 May 2008, 12:01 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

installed sky hd myself took about 90 mins if that(had add add extra cable for sky +)but ring sky was a pain dumb indian call centre.
Old 02 May 2008, 11:36 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
I bought the Sky+ box from a company I found on the net. It came with a quad LNB in the box. I bought the dish off ebay.

There's usually loads of quad LNB's listed on ebay; I'd hazard a guess that will be cheaper than Maplin. Might even find some Sky+ boxes on there.
i did look on ebay but wondered if anyone else had taken that route, so thanks for that. maplin are about £18 for a sky quad lnb i think, but will check ebay. i'm going to connect all four cables so i can add a second sky+ box at any time just by plugging it in (and calling sky of course), so a quad is definately the way forward for me

...off to look on ebay now
Old 02 May 2008, 11:42 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

allan - thanks for your response. happy with the lnb change - that should tkae me 10mins max (incl climbing onto the extension roof). hope you're enjoying the sunshine in that gleaming car of yours!!

rubberscooby - i did speak to sky and all in, they've quote me £159 fitted. that's £99 for the box and LNB and £60 for fitting. i can fit it myself (and have already completed 85% of the work), so don;t really want to part with £60 for a 10min installation job - i take your point though...unless you kick up a fuss now and then with any supplier, new customers are always greeted with open arms whilst the old and faithful ones are usually **** on from a great height - that's customer services for you!!

richie - that's pretty much what i was expecting! will just have the grin and bear the pain of a conversation in broken english with a 10 sec delay on the line!