Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Outrage at the budget implications..

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2008, 09:53 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrage at the budget implications..

as it finally becomes clear to owners of cars registered after 2001 that their road tax is to take a steep hike in 2010.

Appears it was not clear to owners of older cars, that the new road tax pricing was being reformed in 2010, bringing SOME older cars in line with much newer cars.

Pretty bad news all round if you ask me, but cant believe its taken so long to sink in for some.

*edited to correct the suggestion that ALL cars in the UK would be affected by this change in VED banding.... I apologise for the offence and confusion cause, and will happily help untangle any persons knickers who got in a twist with the confusion.
It is in fact March 2001-March 2006 which will be re-banded

Last edited by Snazy; 30 April 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 30 April 2008, 09:59 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Its March 2009 that it starts. 2010 is when the new higher first year tax rate kicks in. Hence the 330Ci I just bought was first registered in Dec 2000, thus avoiding the increases. I'll be paying £200 from next year, not £410....
Old 30 April 2008, 10:09 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The classic market is about to be revitalised
Old 30 April 2008, 10:14 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Would not be my choice personally but I reckon for some, you're right
Im sure next year they will do the other cars registered after 1973!
Old 30 April 2008, 10:22 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I got my tax disc yesterday, £185 for my gas guzzling MY00.

I wonder how many people with 2001/2002 bugeyes are going to put up with paying £400 a year in tax, for a car worth about £5k?
Old 30 April 2008, 10:23 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Brown was asked about this on Radio 5 this morning. His response:

All cars used to be taxed the same, Roller and Mini blah blah. Now bands mean consumers can choose a green option, blah blah. CO2 emissions blah blah, greenhouse gases blah blah, climate change blah blah.

None of that is fair, if the tax is retrospective you f@ck wit.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

None of that is fair, if the tax is retrospective you f@ck wit.
I think that anyone that car bought after 2006 hasn't really got a leg to stand on- We all knew about the bands at that point, and they were in place. We also knew that there was every likelyhood that the cost would go up.

Cars bought pre 2006 but post 2001 should stay in their repsective bands, at that point in time (I.e. A-D or whatever it was) and not move.

And obviously cars bought pre 2001 are in two bands and thats it.

I think the big losers are the cars bought betwen 2001 and 2006. It is unfair to retrospectively change what tax band they are in, because at the time of sale, the buyer bought the car without that knowledge, therefore it could not affect his decision.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:35 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

What they forget is, if you price people out of these cars, their next choice is likely to be a pre 2001, rather than a spanking new green car.

Drop some of the vat on the greener cars, offer incentives to own them, and people im sure would consider them.

Its all about the money to them, sod all else.

Pre 2001's........... your next !! lol
We have had the whole pre 2006 boasting on here for ages now, and look what happened.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think that anyone that car bought after 2006 hasn't really got a leg to stand on- We all knew about the bands at that point, and they were in place. We also knew that there was every likelyhood that the cost would go up.

Cars bought pre 2006 but post 2001 should stay in their repsective bands, at that point in time (I.e. A-D or whatever it was) and not move.

And obviously cars bought pre 2001 are in two bands and thats it.

I think the big losers are the cars bought betwen 2001 and 2006. It is unfair to retrospectively change what tax band they are in, because at the time of sale, the buyer bought the car without that knowledge, therefore it could not affect his decision.

I agree
Personally I think it should still be on fuel. A Lambo in G doing 2000 miles a year, and a polo in B doing 20000 a year...... hmmm which is the bigger polluter?
Its been a bit wonkey for years, from wear on the roads to impact on enviroment. There must be a way to do it. We take 5p fuel price rises on the chin, im sure I could take one more of 2-5p to cover road taxing and "enviromental taxes"
Old 30 April 2008, 10:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I It is unfair to retrospectively change what tax band they are in, because at the time of sale, the buyer bought the car without that knowledge, therefore it could not affect his decision.
But for Grasping Lying Labour, it's becoming the norm. They are fast becoming the masters of retrospective legislation. Disgusting

They REALLY need the money though, to fund free bridges in Scotland, cheaper prescriptions everywhere EXCEPT England, free hospital parking in Wales, grants for Scottish students, etc etc.

Oh sorry, forgot, they are now taking an EXTRA £120 MILLION a week in VAT since fuel prices went stupid. Just WTF are we all getting for THAT?

Alcazar
Old 30 April 2008, 10:39 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a reason they can't do it to pre 2001, emmissions not shown in the log book or something?
Old 30 April 2008, 10:43 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Isn't there a reason they can't do it to pre 2001, emmissions not shown in the log book or something?
Then it will be something like, emissions measured at next MOT, and taxed accordingly or something.... there is always a way.

As for lying cheating labour. It was totally wrong that this whole matter was NOT covered in the budget speech. VERY wrong.

Lets hope London speaks its mind with its vote tomorrow, and shows change is possible, and maybe start a trend to get the bad out.

IF Ken loses tomorrow its going to be a major blow to those at the top I reckon, but it will be 1 less lying cheating **** out of power. And hopefully the CC hikes chopped.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:43 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think you can't do it due to band not existing at the time of sale or manufacture.

I dont think you will ever have the bands apply to pre 2001 cars.

Bands existed post 2001, so the precedent is there to justify further bands. I.e. when you bought your car you knew it was in the top band,m and its still in thew top band - The fact that it now costs £400 rather than £200 to tax is irrelevant. In strict terms.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:46 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think you can't do it due to band not existing at the time of sale or manufacture.

I dont think you will ever have the bands apply to pre 2001 cars.

Bands existed post 2001, so the precedent is there to justify further bands. I.e. when you bought your car you knew it was in the top band,m and its still in thew top band - The fact that it now costs £400 rather than £200 to tax is irrelevant. In strict terms.
I thought the bands have been reshuffled and some of the cars once lower are now a little higher on the VED banding? Might be wrong, but I dont think its set in stone.

At the end of the day, once they start moving the goalposts, they can keep doing it again and again. In another years time, people are not gonna have a clue what the budget means to them, until they get the following years bills though.

Which is wrong!
Old 30 April 2008, 10:48 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

even though mine is now 7 years old..I might just hang onto the scoob for a little longer
Old 30 April 2008, 10:54 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I have to say, I really wonder if the days of high performance motoring are disappearing.

These cars are going to be taxed out of existence soon, even though there will always be a handful of petrol heads who are willing to pay through the nose, how long before manufacturers realise that most people can't afford to but them? Surely then they will stop making them.

Add to that the petrol situation, they are talking about £1.50 a litre later this year, and I really don't see this price coming down. The global warming lobby is too strong and resources are running out.

A mate of mine who has always had motorbikes, a Honda CRX, Toyota MR2, Honda Integra, etc. has now bought a diesel Fiesta, which does 60 mpg and costs £35 to tax! He just couldn't justify the cost any more, how long til the rest of us succumb?
Old 30 April 2008, 10:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have to say, I really wonder if the days of high performance motoring are disappearing.

These cars are going to be taxed out of existence soon, even though there will always be a handful of petrol heads who are willing to pay through the nose, how long before manufacturers realise that most people can't afford to but them? Surely then they will stop making them.

Add to that the petrol situation, they are talking about £1.50 a litre later this year, and I really don't see this price coming down. The global warming lobby is too strong and resources are running out.

A mate of mine who has always had motorbikes, a Honda CRX, Toyota MR2, Honda Integra, etc. has now bought a diesel Fiesta, which does 60 mpg and costs £35 to tax! He just couldn't justify the cost any more, how long til the rest of us succumb?
Very true, unlikey we will buy another performance petrol car again, will wait to see how the sti derv burner goes and is taxed but likely a performance (of sorts) diesel.

Maybe a classic car for fun

The days of the performance car for those but the rich and/or dedicated enthusiast are numbered - in the UK anyway!
Old 30 April 2008, 10:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think we are a ways off yet.

an extra £200 is pretty insignificant if you are spending £20,000 or more on a car.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:04 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

an extra £200 is pretty insignificant if you are spending £20,000 or more on a car.
and when they come to sell and it is worth next to nothing due to no market.
£ 400,00 tax on an 8k car is 5% of its value in road tax alone - of a 4k car 10% that is an awful lot to spend + fuel + scameras + congestion, etc. The fun is being squeezed out.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
I agree
Personally I think it should still be on fuel. A Lambo in G doing 2000 miles a year, and a polo in B doing 20000 a year...... hmmm which is the bigger polluter?
Its been a bit wonkey for years, from wear on the roads to impact on enviroment. There must be a way to do it. We take 5p fuel price rises on the chin, im sure I could take one more of 2-5p to cover road taxing and "enviromental taxes"
However *most* lambos will not be used half as much as polos .
Old 30 April 2008, 11:13 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Diesels are becoming ever more popular.

£65 in a typical impreza will get you 250-300miles
£65 in a typical TD will get you 500-550miles

Audi TT are bringing out a diesel version soon that will do 50-55mpg.
The new BMW diesel engines have 204bhp/300lbft achieve 50-55mpg, do 60 in less than 7 and onto a top speed of 150mph.

They can become potent weapons when they're remapped and will easily match performances of high performance petrols at typical motorway speeds (Sub 100)

I think days are numbered for the petrol cars that are doing sub 25mpg.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 30 April 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Diesels are becoming ever more popular.

£65 in a typical impreza will get you 250-300miles
£65 in a typical TD will get you 500-550miles

Audi TT are bringing out a diesel version soon that will do 50-55mpg.
The BMW diesel engines have 204bhp and 300lbft of torque standard, can do 60 in less than 7 and 150mph.

They can become potent weapons when they're remapped and wille asily match performances of high performance petrols at typical motorway speeds (Sub 100)

On the contrary - 1.6 litre petrol or even 1.4
is the way to go
Old 30 April 2008, 11:16 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
bringing all older cars in line with much newer cars.

All older cars?
Old 30 April 2008, 11:17 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
and when they come to sell and it is worth next to nothing due to no market.
£ 400,00 tax on an 8k car is 5% of its value in road tax alone - of a 4k car 10% that is an awful lot to spend + fuel + scameras + congestion, etc. The fun is being squeezed out.
I've never bought a car with its resale value in mind - If I did that I would never buy one. You will lose money on a car, its inevitable.

If you limited to a budget of £4K then you probably aren't in a position to afford anything particularly impressive performance wise anyway.

That said, if you are spending 6-8K you will probably pick up some bargains - People will end up with cars they had never thought about because the reasle value has diminshed and all of the sudden they can afford to run a TVR because the initial purchase price is that much less.

I don't think it will have tha tmuch of an impact to be honest.

If you the sort of person that wants a performance car, I'm not sure that a £400 VED bill would put you off? It wouldn't me.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:17 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

But manufacturers will only make what they think will sell.

For the first time in my life I am resigned to the fact that I won't be upgrading my car for the foreseeable future. There must be plenty of others like me out there. In fact, the only one of my mates now has a new-ish sporty car, which is a Mazda RX8 and that's because it's a company car.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:19 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I don;t think so.

To take your BMW example. I would have an M3 over any diesel BMW you put in front of me. Would you do any different?
Old 30 April 2008, 11:20 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know wiki isn't the most accurate of sources but this is pretty much on the money.

Yes, oil is running out but not at the rate some alarmists would have us believe. What the figures don't take into account are any increases in proven reserves by discovery and migration of unproven to proven. The biggest change in recent years has been the migration to proven of tar sands, passing the $60 barrel mark made these reserves ecconomically viable.

Never have facts got in the way of this lying bunch of clowns implementing legistation.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:21 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
However *most* lambos will not be used half as much as polos .
Which is my whole point. They will produce LESS emissions, damage the road less, so why pay 4 times more to tax one? Especially as the tax is meant to be enviromental?

As for people being priced out of cars, the number of injuries in accidents will no doubt rise, as people revert back to 80s and 90s cars with less safety built into them.

Some WILL be priced out of their cars, and without being able to afford a spanking new green car, the choices are limited really. Either way I reckon the air quality in London will say it all for the UK.

If there is a sharp rise in quality, fair enough.... but somehow I think there is more likely to be a decline as all the older cars start hitting the roads again. Im off to buy some 95-99 cars now lol.
Old 30 April 2008, 11:21 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

But manufacturers will only make what they think will sell.
Not necessarily. By that I mean that if a company is making lots of money from Selling Golfs, then they can afford to make a Veyron.

As long as the company as a whole is profitable, then that's whats important.

And lets not forget - Who's the most profitable car company in the world?

Porsche. Not exactly known for thier green credetials
Old 30 April 2008, 11:25 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
All older cars?
Post March 2001, its not too hard to work out is it lol

As for the diesel arguement, I am right up there, would buy a diesel quite happily these days

Quick Reply: Outrage at the budget implications..