One for those who have had laser eye surgery

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2008, 08:07 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for those who have had laser eye surgery

Considering this whilst still on maternity leave....if you have had this done, where did you go, what did you think of them and are you pleased with the results?
Old 29 April 2008, 08:35 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never in a million years! Not many people even realise how barbaric the prodcedure is.

Now Microsurgery I would consider
Old 29 April 2008, 08:55 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Friend had a nightmare, unable to drive for 3 months until the brain got used to the signals that the fecked up eye was sending etc etc

Drops and glasses for 3 months

Oh, but most people are fine
Old 29 April 2008, 08:57 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

YouTube - The Video that LASIK Doctors Don't Want You To See
Old 29 April 2008, 09:11 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Friend had a nightmare, unable to drive for 3 months until the brain got used to the signals that the fecked up eye was sending etc etc

Drops and glasses for 3 months

Oh, but most people are fine
Did he just have one eye done or both at the same time?

And yes, I knew what they did to clip back the eye...the comments below the video were also what I had been thinking too. I'm still undecided which is why I'm asking these questions of others that have had it done.

Last edited by scoob_babe; 29 April 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 29 April 2008, 09:24 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Look into microsurgery.. Its more expensive but the risks are far, far, far, far less! They just make very tiny cuts in the lens and as they heal it pulls the lens back into its correct shape.
Old 29 April 2008, 09:38 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i'd talk to a doctor first (if i was 1. a woman and 2. on maternity leave) - considering when you're pregnant, and apart from the numerous other things going on, your teeth go soft and your hair doesn't fall out! maybe your eyes go funny shapes too!

<inciting panic mode off>
Old 29 April 2008, 09:43 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I wrote this in a thread the other day, but the search function doesn't appear to be working:

Just over a year ago I had "Intralase Femtosecond with Wavefront" which basically is the flap is cut with a laser (as opposed to a blade) and in addition to the correction of the eyesight it tries to eliminate imperfections. I spent a long time researching this, went to see quite a few companies to decide who I would use.

A summary of companies:

-=
Optical Express: Absolutely useless, complete muppets. They couldn't answer any of my questions, everything seemed a mess and they even kicked out the plug of one of the machines whilst doing the initial tests.

Optimax: (in Croydon and Brighton) Very good, very knowledgable. Price was in the middle. The examination was done by the doctor who would perform the operation and was extremely helpful, mentioned the risks, suggested some alternatives.

Ultralase: Extremely professional, very nice offices, helpful staff. Again spoke to the doctor. Price was high, and couldn't find much difference (apart from the offices) from Optimax.

Private: I went to see a surgeon privately (in East Grinstead) who would perform the operation. I would get 'personal attention', but the price for this was twice as much as Optimax.
-=

I had the operation on Friday lunchtime, it wasn't painful (although I freaked a bit, but thats a different thing), my eyes were watering afterwards quite a lot for an hour or so. Had an uneventful evening listening to Audio books. Went back on Saturday morning to check everything was fine, could see very well but was still a little light sensitive. I spent the rest of Saturday in a darkened room listening to books. Sunday I was up, about, no trendy sunglasses and fine. Monday I drove 300 miles to teach!

I have perfect eyesight in my left eye and virtually perfect in my right. I haven't had any complications apart from I seem to be more susceptable to eye infections for some reason (that Optimax couldn't explain). Nothing that a few drops from the chemist doesn't sort out in a day or two.

Steve
Old 29 April 2008, 12:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst

I have perfect eyesight in my left eye and virtually perfect in my right. I haven't had any complications apart from I seem to be more susceptable to eye infections for some reason (that Optimax couldn't explain). Nothing that a few drops from the chemist doesn't sort out in a day or two.

Steve
Cheers Steve. How bad was your eyesight pre-surgery (ie number of dioptres) ? The reason I ask is that I've heard that if you're of Mr MaGoo's ilk (like me ! ), then although your eyesight is improved, you still need to wear glasses/contacts.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 30 April 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:40 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve

Chefdude - the babies are fine and 8 weeks old now. I'm also ok to do as I please (apart from the brain, such as it was, going to mush ) but understand what you say!
Old 29 April 2008, 12:44 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Did he just have one eye done or both at the same time?
She had both done at the same time.....total nightmare

Last edited by SiPie; 29 April 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:54 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I've thought about this on and off for for some time now. I had a consultation with Optical Express, but then lost my nerve again! My Aunty had hers done a couple of years ago and has been very happy with the results, ditto my neighbour and his son! I just can't help worrying about it as I feel my sight is something I *really* wouldn't want to lose, or harm in any way...
Old 29 April 2008, 01:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Cheers Steve. How bad was your eysight pre-surgery (ie number of dioptres) ?The reason i ask is that I've heard that if your of Mr MaGoo's ilk (like me ! ), then although your eyesight is improved, you still need to wear glasses/contacts.
My eyesight wasn't that bad -- something like -1.75 and -1.5 with astigmastism in the right eye.

I would have both eyes done at the same time, purely for the fact that it gets it over and done with.

lordretsudo: Go and see another company, as I mentioned Optical Express are muppets.

Steve
Old 29 April 2008, 01:04 PM
scoobyfirst
Scooby Regular

I'VE HAD IT DONE. BRILLIANT, WISH I'D HAD IT DONE YEARS AGO. I WENT TO OPTICAL EXPRESS IN MANCHESTER. NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT IT AT ALL.
Old 29 April 2008, 01:20 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'VE HAD IT DONE. BRILLIANT, WISH I'D HAD IT DONE YEARS AGO. I WENT TO OPTICAL EXPRESS IN MANCHESTER. NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT IT AT ALL.
....and your eyesight is so good that you couldn't even see that you were typing in CAPITALS

Old 29 April 2008, 01:26 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not squeamish, but I couldn't watch that.
Old 29 April 2008, 02:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was considering it, about 5 years ago, and went for a consultation after submitting to Ultralase what Spec-savers told me was my prescription.

When I got there, they did a further eye-test to check and luckily noticed that the dizzy receptionist had wrote down the wrong strengths etc. Specsavers, were saying I was short-sighted but the truth was I'm long sighted Glad that Ultralase checked first.

I didn't have it in the end as they said being long-sighted it wouldn't make that much of a difference, although they did mention intro-ocular lenses, which are basically permanent contact lenses placed beneath the your eye-lens. I'm sure things will have moved on from when I thought about it
Old 29 April 2008, 03:08 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
I'm not squeamish, but I couldn't watch that.
I'm partial to a bit of gore myself, but that really does make my toes curl.. Which is why I posted it! Even people with the strongest stomach's draw the line at having their LENS shaved off then picked out.
Old 29 April 2008, 08:20 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

I've had this done last Wednesday at Optical Express in Birmingham...

Pre op I was -4 and -2.75 with mild astigmatism in one eye. Re the comments about Optical Express being muppets - the clinic we went to were very professional and really seemed better than another clinic that we went to.

Both myself and my wife had both eyes done last Wednesday - after surgery eyes were very sensitive to light and watering. The evening was spent in a darkened house listening to the TV (you're told you can't use your eyes at all that night).

Following day and both of us are better than 20/20 vision. Some mild discomfort after the op day but that's pretty much dryness in the eyes etc and eased by the drops given.

Op itself (Wavefront Lasik) was uncomfortable but not painful - uncomfortable because you knew what they were doing mainly.

In summary - would I recommend - yes 100% but I would say be careful in your selection of clinics - there are a few websites which allow people to post reviews and these show a wide variation in results and healing times
Old 30 April 2008, 10:54 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. Darren, you and the Mrs were brave doing this at the same time!!
Old 30 April 2008, 12:40 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

....and your eyesight is so good that you couldn't even see that you were typing in CAPITALS

lol !
Old 30 April 2008, 01:03 PM
scoobyfirst
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 07 May 2008, 04:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Some cracking info in here.

I'm about to get this done. I'm only about -1.25 shortsighted, but its just bad enough that I can't drive. Someone told me once that with such a small correction required I won't get very good results, is this true?

Based on boxst's comments, I'm seriously considering this :
IntraLase LASIK Laser Eye Surgery at Optimax

But I'm a bit nervous that it seems quite cheap (£395 per eye).

Any comments / is there anything that can be done which doesn't involved cutting a flap?
Old 07 May 2008, 04:51 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

I had PRK done at Optimax in Leeds around 9 years ago. This is even more barbaric than LASIK in that they peel your lens like an egg with a simple scalpel.

Everything numbed, no pain, bit offputting watching the smoke rise off your eye and smelling it too. However, given that I was -4.5 in both eyes and am now spot on in my left and -1 in my right, for £500 per eye, result!
Old 07 May 2008, 06:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Some cracking info in here.

I'm about to get this done. I'm only about -1.25 shortsighted, but its just bad enough that I can't drive. Someone told me once that with such a small correction required I won't get very good results, is this true?

Based on boxst's comments, I'm seriously considering this :
IntraLase LASIK Laser Eye Surgery at Optimax

But I'm a bit nervous that it seems quite cheap (£395 per eye).

Any comments / is there anything that can be done which doesn't involved cutting a flap?
Intralase is £1290 per eye (£895 for Lasik + £395 for Instralase) and I would recommend adding wavefront (another £395). Believe it or not you can bargain with them and get vouchers on eBay ...

If you don't want to cut a flap you can have LasEk but it hurts and has a longer (1 week) recovery.

Steve
Old 07 May 2008, 07:00 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

aah! that sounds more realistic! Thank you.

hmm.. can't be doing with walking into things for a week.. Maybe the flap is the way to go.

Are we saying then, that Intralase LASIK with wavefront is about the best / most reliable / best results option out there?

Thanks guys!
Old 07 May 2008, 11:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
aah! that sounds more realistic! Thank you.

hmm.. can't be doing with walking into things for a week.. Maybe the flap is the way to go.

Are we saying then, that Intralase LASIK with wavefront is about the best / most reliable / best results option out there?

Thanks guys!
As I mentioned above, in my research that was the option that had the least pain and complications with the best results.

Steve
Old 09 May 2008, 12:30 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thanks Steve

I'm going to book an appointment.

Cheers

Simon
Old 09 May 2008, 01:41 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

All booked up! Booked the consultation and treatment on the same day to save messing about.

Thanks a lot for the advice and info
Old 09 May 2008, 02:52 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had LASIK done at Optimax in Aberdeen, It was fine and eyesight now is better than 20-20. only problem is i miss the anti glare coating from my glasses for driving at night

Quick Reply: One for those who have had laser eye surgery