Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scumball Rally 2008 full review (56k nono)

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 11:31 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scumball Rally 2008 full review (56k nono)

Having taken part in the scumball rally for the previous two years, the overiding feature of our cars that we have taken on the rally was big engined rear wheel drive cars. Plenty of grunt for overtaking and large cabin space, perfect grand tourers and ideal for a transeuropean rally.

Not this year though, me and my navigator Davespice wanted to do something different. "different" in this case was taken to extremes when we completed the work on the VW Scirocco we had aquired. Pictures definitely speak louder than words in this instance, this is what we had come up with.

However, getting it rally ready was a two stage process. The second process was securing sponsorship and stickering up the car.
The results of our efforts, as well as the generosity of the people who sponsored us can be seen here.

With the car ready to go and looking the part, the big day finally arrived me and Davespice loaded up the car with everything we needed for the next four days and set off for the launch party. This has changed every year and this year was held at Arena essex raceway, just off the M25.

Arriving at the launch party was an interesting experience, with the sheer amount of cars that had turned up the most noticable aspect.

As well as that, the chance to do a few laps of the oval was not to be passed up, with ourselves, Team Politezi, The Smurfs and a few others taking a tour as the rest of the field watched.

After the track time, we made our way to the party itself, We reaquainted ourselves with old friends and made some new ones as well.

As well as that, we also see the prize, the award of "Spirit of the Scumball" also comes with this prestigious looking wheel.

All too soon, it was time to head off for our first checkpoint. A rather important one, this was down in Dover for the ferry to the continent, so we headed there at all speed.

As it turns out, it was a bit too much for the car to handle and a distinct smell of fuel was eminating from the car when we arrived.
This, with the help of several scumballers (respect is due, you know who you are), was identified as the problem.

Dont ask me what it is, I dont know, all I know it was connected to the fuel lines, with a line from the pump, a line to the carb and a return to the petrol tank. The principle drawback was a hole caused by corrosion, less than a mm across which was squirting a jet of fuel onto a coolant pipe.

A blur of ratchets and screwdrivers later and the part was off. To get the car on the ferry, we connected the pump and carb hose and blanked off the return. Not ideal, but at least it got us on the right side of the channel. We resolved to find a VW garage once we got our route card. First up was the ferry trip.

Boarding the ferry was a quick affair

Thereafter we headed up to the lounge which was exclusive to the scumball rally for the trip. This was the point where our first route cards were handed out.

BA proved to have a doppleganger

Same as last year, our destination was Eastenders, also known as the startline.
The party people parked up and loaded up for the trip ahead before getting their route cards. A short briefing later and we were on our way, with the rest of the field heading out to our destination Nevers in France, near Magny Cours.

We, on the other hand had some business to attend to. The running car was still running badly so we needed a replacement part.

Luck was on our side when we arrived at the startline, a huge VW dealership was less than 20 seconds down the road! So in we headed and soon enough the entire workshop was outside taking photos. Despite the language barrier, we established the car was too old for parts to be in stock. We were sizing up the nearest scrapyard when one of the mechanics walked to the back of the yard.

I saw him lifting the bonnet of an old shape polo. I wandered over and he was rummaging underneath. he said "Yours - metal. This - Plastique!" and handed over a remarkably similar part. Heres me fitting it.

Not only did it cure the bad running, we also got an extra 70 or so miles to the tank after fitting it! As well as that, they didnt even want any money, so after thanking them profusely, we were on our way.

The run from Calais to Nevers was relatively trouble free, for us anyway, with pulling over to the scumballers we saw to help if it was needed.

These guys blew their airconditioning pump. It was windows down from then on in.

Eventually, after 500 or so miles, a stopcheck and negative breath test from some surprisingly friendly Gendarmes and some horiffic traffic in paris, we got to our destination.

Despite the rain, the Scousers were already in full flow

Dips in the nearby river were taken.

and drink was taken.

by Davespice

and myself.

As well as that, Rave Cheetah gets aquainted with the field.

Eventually, we jack it in and dawn broke shortly thereafter.

However, if you think we were taking risks, think again. one of the teams was there to breathtest the entire field. If you got a pass, you got a stamp. Here are mine and Daves.

With the rest of the field tested and ready to go, we lined up for the next stage.

Some last minute adustments to the flux capacitor and we are on our way!

This time it was to a place i have planned on going to for many years. The Nurburgring. The irony of putting off going because my car was not up to scratch then being forced to go there in the crappest car i've owned for near on a decade wasnot lost, but a destination is a destination so off we set.

Well, afer a few stops for rave cheetah to stretch his legs.

After a bit more mileage, not to mention managing to cross Luxembourg in a somewhat impressive 29 minutes, we get to the rather misty Eiffel mountains, home of the Nurburgring.
However, the warning signs are all around us that we are near something rather special.

and a little more worringly…

But we’ll deal with that later. All that remained was to find the campsite, set up shop and go on the lash. Once again pictures speak louder than words so here we go…

This is spud. Spud is holding the dartboard. People throwing darts at the dartboard and indeed him, are just out of shot.

Eventually, after getting caught red handed setting off fireworks, we jack it in and hit the hay. We had a big day the next day and we needed to be rested.
Unfortunately we’d camped right next to the George and Dragon who insisted keeping their engine running all night, so after a night spent wide awake listening to a chugging engine, we get up and make preparations for the ring.

When we wake up, the mist is still present, but we head over to the ring anyways after getting our route cards.

The next destination is Amsterdam, but before then we have to put in a lap.

Getting to the ring was easy, but it was waiting for the mist to lift that took some time. When we got there, nothing was being let out aside from the ring taxi.

Sabine was at the wheel of this oneJ

While we waited for the mist to burn off, we toured the carpark.

However, the other ring attendees are not as choosy. This is one of my favourite photos

Behold! The sexy orange Lamborghini! Behold! The people ignoring it and taking pictures of the heap of crap Scirocco behind it
Anyways, soon after, the mist lifts and the field is allowed on track. Soon after the hilarity begins.
This is one of the Audi team fresh after being “Sabineed”. Note the white as a sheet complexion.

This is the Bunwell massive.

Note their car on the recovery truck after being hauled out of the gravel.

You cant see it, but their brake discs are blue. They are also 200+ euro poorer for their excursion.
As for us? Well our car was in the carpark

And there it stayed. We bought tickets, but we got within 15feet of the entrance and were told that our car was “verboten” to go on the track. They said we could go on if we took all the stuff off the car. As it was pop riveted on, that was not an option.

However, all is not lost. Andy Bayliss, driver of the Subaru Legacy pace car, was on hand to give us a hot lap as passengers. Seriously impressive is an understatement, with his talent being evident. Here’s me and Dave dicking about for the camera in the car.

Note Andy’s steely gaze and total concentration. Respect is due.

The adrenaline had barely faded when we were on our way again. Nurburgring to Amsterdam took a little over four hours and was uneventful apart from the fallout from the ‘ring. Its reputation as a car killer proved well founded with Team Lady Elanor giving up the ghost on the way. This is the replacement.

Several others are affected, but the majority of the field arrive at our final overnight stop. A campsite in the middle of a lake, in the middle of reclaimed land, behind an enormous dyke. Here’s a pic of the old girl after we finished the third stage.

We’d also made a third jump, back to 1885 and we had the kit to prove it.

The field is packed in and tents are set up.

Almost all the field is in perfect running order.

And soon after the drinking and associated tomfoolery starts. Team Banshee host their customary gin party and shortly after it all goes a bit pear shaped. Literally.

However, this is just a prelude for what’s to come. Here’s the crew waiting for the four coaches to turn up to take us to a full gala evening in the centre of town.

Everyone ready to go?

Once we get there, the white wristbands slapped on us at the start of the event guarantee entry to the venue. And what a venue!

the boys really excelled themselves this time, this was a plush venue to say the least.

Soon after the drink flowed and the venue proved wanting in one aspect. Food. The nearby burgerking proved useful and we got our first proper meal in three days.

Evenutally we made our way back to the campsite and I we crash. I wake up the following morning clutching a crate of lager

No time to wonder how a crate of lager came into my possession, its time to drive again. We prepare the car for its final run back to Calais.

As we make our way out of the campsite, the entire field is in one big convoy, biggest of the rally.

But soon enough we spilt up when we hit the motorway.

Not long after, we grind to a halt on the motorway. The CBs the cars are fitted with prove useful as a huge pileup involving two artics completely blocks the carriageway. This is the result.

its not a wasted opportunity though as we get some shots in to pass the time.
Here’s me in full Doc pose.

And here’s Dave adding more plutonium.

And a double cool profile shot.

However, no amount of dicking about can change the fact we have a finish line to get to. The motorway is not moving at all and that entry slip road looks awfully attractive.
I scout it out and its possible to get there, so we do the dirty and take the chance. Reversing up a slip road is not advisable, but the police blocking the entry to the slip don’t seem to mind and we hit the back roads.
Shortly after we are on the motorway and Belgium turns into France. The miles tick down to our destination and we eventually get to Calais and the finish line.

A large proportion of the field are either in the jam or still making their way there, so mindful that the ferry crossing looms, the awards ceremony is held.

Winners of the 2008 spirit of the scumball are the A team!

Winners of the 2008 Best dressed scum are, well, us!

Team Banshee also have an award for using the same car for three years running!

All that was left to do after that was repair to the original VW garage that made the trip possible, find the mechanic who sorted us out, give him a crate of lager to say thank you, then get on the ferry!

And that was about it!
The Team Back to the Drawing Board Delorean held up admirably, even if we did drive a little more conservatively than last year, this was not a “fast” car in the conventional sense, so we stuck to the speed limits. Well almost, there was one limit we had to get to

Team Back To The Drawing Board would like to thank all their sponsors. This could not have happened without you and as such we are in your debt.
Corset Rouge - decadent and luxurious hand crafted corsetry
F.A.S.T. Music - Homepage
Rosevidney Livery Stables
Eruption 101.3 FM London Est 1993 > Voted Best FM Radio Station @ Old Skool Awards 2006
http://www.moas.co.uk/
Quosh Records - Home
http://www.slamminvinyl.com/index.php?cookieSet=1
Barking Music - Woof beats for the Hardcore! Canine it every weekend with DJ Darts and friends.
BANG FACE
http://www.darrenstyles.co.uk/
Junk Box Records
LETHAL THEORY RECORDINGS - JOEY RIOT & DJ KURT
:: Rapture Trip Records ::

Including gift aid ( a tax rebate if the donator is a UK taxpayer) we raised over 900 pounds for whizz-kidz.org .
Donations are still welcome, we have over 50 days till the just giving website closes our page.
Justgiving - Astraboy and Davespice ride again!

Davespice and myself will return for more of the same next year. We have ideas for what we will come up with, but we’ll keep em to ourselves for now. One things for sure, we have a tough act to follow to beat this year, but that’s not going to stop us from trying
Astraboy & Davespice.

Last edited by astraboy; 28 April 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:01 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

nice one well done ,enjoy reading these each year
Old 29 April 2008, 12:02 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, does anyone still have 56k???
Old 29 April 2008, 01:07 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

And where are the decent pics of Sabine????
Old 29 April 2008, 01:15 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

BRILLIANT......Nice to see this thread again this year.

Well done on your efforts,and i look forward to next years thread.Ohh btw well done on the awards.
Old 29 April 2008, 01:20 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

A great read.
Old 29 April 2008, 01:45 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great writeup again mate and the photos make sense now Looks like great fun.
Old 29 April 2008, 07:39 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

absolutley superb.

love these write ups every year.

shame to see rave dolphin has retired and been replaced.

'the king is dead, long live the king!'
Old 29 April 2008, 09:05 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Fantastic, I've just started reading the book "Driver" about some guy doing the gumball and I was thinking it would be so ace to do something like this

What do I need to enter next year?
Old 29 April 2008, 10:09 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Brilliant!
Old 29 April 2008, 10:13 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Great read.

Well done, looked a laugh.
Old 29 April 2008, 12:03 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Another cracking read
Old 29 April 2008, 02:56 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

what did simon do it in this year mate? the porsche or the skoda? been trying to get hold of him to no avail. looks like a good one again! will make a real effort to do it next year.

james
Old 29 April 2008, 04:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Nice one astraboy i see you are still mad as fek,did think you were a loon when we met
Old 29 April 2008, 04:15 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

awesome
Old 30 April 2008, 10:25 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the positive feedback chaps, I've got this burning desire to go to a drive for some reason!
The scumball really is an experience you must do. All the bollocks and bull**** you have to put up with in everyday life all goes away for four days. Much more than if you spend it lazing on a beach and its always at the back of your mind.
All you have is your car, your team mates and your destination. Its living your life in the fast lane at its most simple.
astraboy.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:36 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Fantastic, I've just started reading the book "Driver" about some guy doing the gumball and I was thinking it would be so ace to do something like this

What do I need to enter next year?
200 pounds to enter the rally
500 quid for the car to drive
500 quid in sponsorship money (minimum requirement)
anything from 200-600 quid for fuel dependent on how thirsty your car is
entries for 2009 should be open in a few weeks.
Scumball 3000 - Welcome to Scumball 3000
astraboy.
Old 01 May 2008, 12:38 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

coool pics . wanted to do the scumball but it was all booked up
Old 01 May 2008, 12:51 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

ah, so the scumball 3000 is different from the scumball rally?
Old 19 May 2008, 08:51 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

car now on ebay!
now I know you're not allowed to put ebay links on here, so the following may or may not be good words to search for if want to see the listing.

haddock

hubcaps

dead bodies

Delorean

kneecaps

dynamite

Scirocco

bollocks

Back to the Future

Eye Thank ewe!
astraboy.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:03 PM