Immigrating to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 12:32 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immigrating to Australia

Emigrating to Australia?

Since I was made redundant last week, Im looking into the possibility to moving abroad. Looking for some pointers, who has done it or thinking about it. Is there any helpful books or websites that I should looking at.

Its just bouncing about in my head stage at the moment, I cant see much of a future in the UK anymore, so I think its time to jump this sinking ship as they say.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 28 April 2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: doh spelling
Old 28 April 2008, 12:38 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the colour of the grass 1st mate.

A friend of mine has not long returned to the UK after a very unhappy year in Melbourne. He sold his house here and made a nice profit but lost the lot via moving costs and is now renting a tiny place back here and licking his wounds.

Wages for him and his Mrs (carpenter and Chiropodist) were much, much, much lower than in the UK and housing etc. wasn't inline with that.

Plus, you'd be emigrating
Old 28 April 2008, 12:43 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

I pondered upon this b4 we had our 1st kid, mainly because I was fed up of what this country was/is becoming...still am tbh, however just think about this, over there you are also going to be an immigrant, after thinking about it, I would have become the very thing I was so desperate to get away from over here, and that killed it for me.

If your wanting a new start like you seem to be then it may or not be just what you need, a friend of mine moved to NZ as they have just started usign natty gas in a big way over there, and had been doing it over here for 20 yrs, so he walked into a well paid job...house by a big lake etc...beats downtown Normanton where he used to live....lmao.

As fatherpierre said though, obviosuly you need to spend time out there and not just with blinkers on as a tourist, but someone workign and living there.
Old 28 April 2008, 12:43 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

True there is always the argument the grass is always greener.

check out this forum, might give you more of a realistic idea.

British Expat Discussion Forum
Old 28 April 2008, 04:17 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Emigrating takes a lot of time [12 to 18 months]. To begin with take the points test on-line [plenty of sites you can use via Google] to see if you are eligible.

I'm a bit suprised by FatherPierres comment about wages. I suppose it depends on the area. Brisbane is screaming for skills, especially construction, and are paying ridiculous rates [welders with their own tools $110 per hour].

House prices are relatively cheap but you'd need to bring over capital as interest rates are through the roof at the moment.

We've been out here for 6 months and settling in really well.

What do you do for a living?

Roo
Old 28 April 2008, 08:54 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

If you're selling a house in the UK to fund your move then you may run into trouble with the UK market on the brink right now while the AU market seems to still be growing. Secondly the exchange rate has been nose diving over the last 6 months from 2.5 dollars to 2.1/2.0. Combined, these make it increasingly less attractive to up sticks right now, that's not to say that the balance might swing back again in 12 months time.

Have a look at the expat forum, there's plenty of questions that have been answered along with some really useful guides and cost charts. Also read some of the horror stories, enough to really put you off.

Don't worry about the spiders, the snakes ate all of them
Old 28 April 2008, 09:07 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

[quote=

What do you do for a living?

Roo[/quote]

Ive been a printer on 5 colour and 10 colour machines for 22yrs
Old 28 April 2008, 10:19 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slipstream_uk
Ive been a printer on 5 colour and 10 colour machines for 22yrs
I'd do the points test first as this may not be a skill they are actively looking for.

As regards the housing market. It's much the same over here. Prices are falling in most areas except Queensland [Brisbane and the South East to be more pecise]. So if you do plan to come over think about renting out your spot first until the market suits [also gives you the option if things don't go right]. Renting over here is a cheaper option to buying, but obviously better to own than rent.

At the moment with inflation and the interest rates as they are the A$ is pants, as said $2 to the pound.

Try looking at a 457 working visa. You will need to have an employer and the only easy way to do that is to come over and tout for business. Expensive but well worth it. That's the quick option and will allow you into the country for 4 years. Long enough to get residency etc.

Liek mentioned before get onto the expat forums. Loads of people all willing to help and share experiences [because the moving is quite an experience I can vouch for that].

Roo
Old 28 April 2008, 10:58 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well there seems to be loads of people buggering off because they are fed up with this country. cant say i blame them.

I know of at least 6 people who are or have buggered off to Oz.

My sister told me last week she is seriously considering going.

Crikey will the last person to leave switch the light off!!!!
Old 28 April 2008, 11:32 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I've generally found wages to be similar in Australia, in some cases a little bit better now that the exchange rate has gotten more in the AUD's favour. I have IT contractor friends that have left London and are earning more in Sydney. (Senior Server Implementation role - £300per day in UK, AUD$800 in Sydney)

But houses are much more expensive compared to the UK when you take the ratio of income to how much they cost. Plus interest rates are hitting 10%.

Good news is that it appears their property market has peaked too and may be heading for 20-30% drops in the next 2 years, although demand still remains strong in desirable areas like inner city or bayside.

Melbourne is still one of the best cities in the world to live in IMO.
Old 28 April 2008, 11:48 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I'd do the points test first as this may not be a skill they are actively looking for.
It doesn't score well at all (printing trade)

Si
(ex ..... printer)
Old 28 April 2008, 01:38 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Been there and done that and had a blast and would do it again. Lived in Melbourne for 2.5 years, moving there without knowing a soul to set-up a business for my UK employer. Came back to a better job 2.5 years later with aus missus in tow.

Is it different - yes, of course. Loads of reasons why but I was 30 years old, and had no ties, and decided it was worth it. And I loved it - made a good many mates over there, most of whom I still keep in touch with and joined a decent football team that helped integrate me into society. Learnt about their tax system, health care and the like and loved the whole thing.

Hated the fact that tax was high, hated that I had to get up at 4am to watch live Premier League games, but loved the lifestyle. Melbourne was a great city.

We bought a flat in Melbourne (worst decision ever) and sold it for the same price when we left, and also bought an apartment in Port Douglas in QLD, an area we love. Later sold it when first child arrived for a nice 80% profit, the invested that in a nice house overlooking the Barrier Reef, just 20 mins north of Port Douglas, which is a retirement home (but a long way off). We rent it out but the interest rate goes up almost every month and we are currently on 9%. That's because we near the end of the deal but it is very high there.

I know there are many people that have done it and stayed, others that have come back. General consensus is that more people stay than return but everything is different and everyone is - and you will never know until you try.

You have to learn to adapt to another countries culture, be careful not to always say 'it wasn;t like that back home' etc, and realise this is your new home.

Houses can still be found cheaply - you will certainly get more for your money in Aus than you would in Southern England, despite what people say, but you need to be willing to move out of town a bit. That said, a long commute in Melbourne is over 30 minutes. Easy to do in this country...

I'm happy to provide any tit bits I can as have actually be there and done it (although with a job to go to), and would do it again and indeed probably will, but have too fun a job at the moment (plus 2 kids and 1 nearly due) which makes it hard.

Andy
Old 28 April 2008, 01:38 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

FYI, moved out there in 2000, came back in 2002. Old now, but little has changed...
Old 28 April 2008, 01:39 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

We have been out in Sydney for around 18mths now and the grass hasn't been green, but parched! Sydney is overrated and bloody expensive (nice to visit, not great to live in the everyday areas), especially since the pound has done a skydive.

We love Australia and it definitely has more positives than negatives. We are in fact moving to Brisbane, to keep the dream alive.

Check out

Poms In Oz
Old 28 April 2008, 10:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

My Sister & brother in law, moved to Perth last august

They find it great, the standard of living is different to UK, but its relative.

the weather is v hot, (there daughter finds it a bit ott at the mo)

I was offered a position on the south coast of Oz, but the other half was

reluctant to go (family in uk) , so at the mo i,m still here

Mart
Old 28 April 2008, 10:56 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Spent a year out there on a working holiday visa, absolutely fantastic place!

Would I move there now, definately! Found the lifestyle great (fair enough I was backpacking but spent enough time around Aussies to see how they live) and the work/play ethic is great.

I'd probably move to somewhere around Perth or Melbourne if I had the chance as loved both those cities, would never choose Sydney, thought it wasn't that greater place to be really.
Old 28 April 2008, 11:41 PM
carlem
Scooby Regular

My wife and I have been in Wellington, New Zealand now for a year and a half and so far so good. It's still early days but from our point of view the positives by far out weigh the negatives. We made the decision to move to NZ based on the lifestyle, the climate, the people and the general sense of community that still exists in New Zealand which we feel is now missing in most parts of the UK.

It's a huge step to take and leaving friends and family was probably the most difficult thing either of us have ever had to do but for us, it has been the right move. It won't suit everyone and I know a number of people that have tried moving to a new life in a new country only to realise that it wasn't what they were looking for and move back home.

If you do decide to give it a go though make sure you give it your all and give things a chance to work out. Too many people get off the plane and expect everything to be perfect. That's not going to happen, no matter where you go. Give it time, work hard at it and be prepared to adapt to your new lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 29 April 2008, 03:58 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Can I intrest you in a couple of pics of Queensland:

A works team building day on Moreton Island

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/IMG_0324.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/IMG_0312.jpg

Fraser Island

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/IMG_0186.jpg

Sit back with a couple of beers and some wine.....relax !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/IMG_0166.jpg

Bit of fun on the beach

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...8/DSC01062.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...8/DSC01060.jpg

Life is certainly more exciting and you do have to change your mindset [and alarm clock as they all seem to get up at about 5 and go to bed at 9]

With the exception of inflation, petrol price and interest rates everything is good [though sounding very similar to back homes problems]

Roo
Old 29 April 2008, 07:16 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Wow, that looks great, but tell me, how do you emmigrants find the Australian attitude to the Aborigines?
Also do you mind it when the call you a Pom?
Old 29 April 2008, 08:24 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Default its better for us

we moved to brisbane a year ago wages are slightly lower for me (chippy) and more for the wife (rep for epson)
food about the same price but less choice
petrol half uk price
gas electric council tax cheaper
child care cheaper

this is the good bit we live in 4 bedroom house on an acre with a huge pool and 3 garages for the same price as our 3 bed terrace in dunstable

we also really look forward to our days off like never before
mon to friday when im on the road at 6 going to work feels like nothings changed
would I go back to the uk
not a frigging chance

best hope of getting here you have to
be under 45
have a skill on the modl list
be empoyed in that trade for the last 5 years
of good health
and have no police record
Old 29 April 2008, 09:15 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in Oz whilst they were "apologising" to the Aborigines and the "lost generation", as an outsider the whole Lost Generation issue was quite incredible, but speaking to many Aussies their opinion was the almost total opposite to the governments, it's such a massive and emotive subject for some people, you could discuss it until the kangaroo's come home.
There's a lot of "history" involved and you don't always see the same picture painted, being an outsider I can't really give an opinion, apart from Rudd coming across as the Aussie Blair, spin spin spin.
Old 29 April 2008, 09:49 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Wow, that looks great, but tell me, how do you emmigrants find the Australian attitude to the Aborigines?
Also do you mind it when the call you a Pom?
There is generally absolutely no attitude at all. It just isn't part of life for 99% of Australian people. The cities have a few mixed white/aborigines and they don't even stand out at all because they live western lifestyle and look like many other mixed race people.

The real aborigines live out in mainly rural areas where people don't go, they just aren't exposed to them at all unless on TV.

If pressed for an opinion there are 2 kinds : the first is a kind of pity, the second and more common is that they are a bunch of dirty, workshy, alcoholic layabouts. This is usually an opinion of the people that live with them.
Old 29 April 2008, 10:18 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been in Perth since 1981 and finally have come to terms with the fact I no longer want too live in England anymore.
It has taken me a long time to adjust , but overall Australia does offer more in terms of life style.
My family are all here so I am reasonably content.
Positives - Climate, low pollution , relatively non political, sound economy, good health servise, good education,all premier matches on demand ,Swanbourne beach ,great golf courses,Raffles at Applecross,ice cold beer,Red Emperor (Its a fish),ultimate $A 1.45 litre,quick access to SE Asia , Wilko's drop goal in Sydney to secure the world cup against the Aussies -still makes me smile!
Negatives - Isolated , no bitter, always a Pom , have to put up with 100% coverage in the pool events when Aussies are swimming , with totally biased commentary that is sickening, VFL, nowhere to drive (Perth),visiting bands often give Perth a miss,multinova ,air fare costs,no quality Indian restaurant,Long haul back to Europe,skin cancer,
Old 30 April 2008, 03:02 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

If you are going to do it, do it or you'll regret it forever. I moved "downunder" in 1995, only been back to the UK a few times. I would never return to live. Some of my friends here returned a couple of years back and say the UK, South, South East area, is better than Sydney in terms of employment, transport and child care etc. One was originally from Fiji, moved to NZ, then Australia and now London. She loves it! I guess it's a case of "bigger is better" for her.

A mate of mine in the UK has been thinking about moving to Thailand and I've been bugging him to just do it. Finally, he's doing it! Good luck to anyone wishing to migrate, it's well worth it. However, you will find similar issues facing migrants in Australia, and if you do move to Aus, you'll just compound the property affordability issue we're experiencing here too.
Old 30 April 2008, 06:21 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Some good balanced answers there.
I think the sort off people who emmigrate are usually the sort of people who can make a go of it and that you can be happy living anywhere - just don't read the local equivalent of the Daily Mail!
Old 30 April 2008, 02:44 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

We are just about to start the Permanent Residency visa process via an agency. Our house is going on the market next month and i'm clinging onto the STi as long as possible.

I've been trying to get a job out there with a 457 sponsorship, but it's proving tricky. The companies want someone NOW or are not interested in sponsorship.

There's some links and more details on a thread i started not so long ago:
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...work-visa.html

I work in IT (DB Programmer) and i pass the skills test. Not too fussed on where we go, although Sydney & Perth are favourites.

Would love to go to NZ to live (done 2 winter seasons there now), but i've not been able to find any relevant jobs there.
Old 30 April 2008, 03:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Can anyone recommend a good agency to deal with for the visa application?
Old 30 April 2008, 03:37 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
I have been in Perth since 1981 and finally have come to terms with the fact I no longer want too live in England anymore...
Rob, where in Perth are you? Has it really taken 20 odd years to decide you don't want to live in the UK?

Mark
Old 30 April 2008, 09:10 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Me and missus are really thinking of going..Probably NZ seems a good option rather than Aus as were both approaching 40...

Im a Vehicle tech and missus is a grand confectioner...Probabaly have about £170,000 to go with us and buy a house...

Seem feasible??Are vehicle techs wanted/needed ??
Old 30 April 2008, 09:14 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

we leave in around 6 weeks for brissy ! .. wifes a nurse and is n a sponsorship visa and will have residency within 6-12 months.. cant wait to get into the heat ! we were over before but in cairns in 2004 but wow, what a heat up there.. i was working on a dive boat and was 43-45 at new year... barrier reef 2 hours out was a lovely 31 degrees !

Quick Reply: Immigrating to Australia