Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tough on crime, Tough on blah blah - Jails however 'too comfy' to merit escape

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 09:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tough on crime, Tough on blah blah - Jails however 'too comfy' to merit escape

BBC NEWS | UK | Jails 'too comfy' to merit escape

Listening to R5 live this morning one prison officer stated that they turn a blind eye to drug smuggling and use in jails as if all the prisoners who where on drugs came off then there would be a riot.

Being that a lot of crime is drug related and druggies stealing to pay for their habits just what sort of sense does this make.

Not a pop at the prison officers more to do with the gov't and pc bollox.

It just does not seem right to me.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:06 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I knew this would crop up.

Basically the officer in question is doing this to highlight the need for more officers. Which we absolutely do need.

But there is some "spin".

(i)Drugs are not cheaper in prison.
(ii)The people did not escape because they could not, not because they didn't want to - Does anyone really think that if someone could escape, without consequence, they wouldn;t take the opportunity?
Old 25 April 2008, 09:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I knew this would crop up.

Basically the officer in question is doing this to highlight the need for more officers. Which we absolutely do need.

But there is some "spin".

(i)Drugs are not cheaper in prison.
(ii)The people did not escape because they could not, not because they didn't want to - Does anyone really think that if someone could escape, without consequence, they wouldn;t take the opportunity?

I knew you could not resist responding

Agreed re the spin

Not too sure about a lack of officers, would not surprise me if this is the case - that must be one hell of a tough job.

However, do you agree that drug abuse is rife in prisons.

A prisoner who enters jail addict an addict should not leave until treated and cleaned up - even if the time exceeds their sentence. Compulsory treatment or more time added on n other words.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:24 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

so, make prisons more austere (sp)?
Old 25 April 2008, 09:25 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
BBC NEWS | UK | Jails 'too comfy' to merit escape

Listening to R5 live this morning one prison officer stated that they turn a blind eye to drug smuggling and use in jails as if all the prisoners who where on drugs came off then there would be a riot.
This issue, which is one of many that plagues our penal establishments and how they are regulated. The Court of Human Rights have a lot to answer for in the way we police, control and daily administer our present prison population. We have also the political agenda that crops up from time to time .

In this mix we all seem to forget common sense and who has the most rights. If you do find your self in the unfortunate position of being in prison be rest assured you will have more rights than your victim. This governs action by staff.

As for turning a blind eye, I would feel this officer is talking for himself solely as he can only do in taking no action, they are a majority of officers who will. I have never been asked to appease prisoners and would never be my first thought for telling my staff or actions carried out by myself.

I do give first thought to prison regulations like all staff who work within penal establishments, then safety and finally procedure.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:28 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

A prisoner who enters jail addict an addict should not leave until treated and cleaned up - even if the time exceeds their sentence. Compulsory treatment or more time added on n other words.
I think we can agree on that. More officers would hopefully deal with the drug problem.

However, you know what i have a feeling a blind eye is turned to an extent because a load of doped up prisoners are much easier to control than a load of alert ones. I think that needs looking at.

As for getting people clean before they get out, absolutely - It gives them the best chance of not reoffending.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:30 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bram

In this mix we all seem to forget common sense and who has the most rights. If you do find your self in the unfortunate position of being in prison be rest assured you will have more rights than your victim.

How do you posssibly come to this conclusion.

The offender is in prison - I.e. has the most basic right removed from him - Freedom. How in the name of blue **** does this give him more rights than the victim?

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2008, 09:46 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

The victim has no choice and he does not have anyone like the Court of Human Rights looking after his needs or regulations setup for his wellbeing and care.

If you feel the Courts will look after you as a victim, when's the last time you were in court and see how they act, deal or aid the victims.

Having been in more courts than I would like to mention from Civil, Sheriff, High and Appeals the last thing on the Courts mind is the victim. Only in summin up will they get a mention from the Sheriff or Judge.

As for the victim are they asked for their opinion on judgement, are they told procedure from the prosecution and what the court is about on the day they attend, are they given assitance in giving evidence, are they offered legal aid to assist in overcoming the aftermath of crime. Does anyone follow up the aftermath of the case are they supplied social workers.

The perp is supplied more than the victim and is given more rights, but I am looking at it solely comparing what the two are supplied.

As for sentancing and being locked up. Depends on the crime but I have met a lot of victims who would have liked a set term to be punished with the result of the crime. Some will never get over for the rest of their lives.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:04 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

[

A prisoner who enters jail addict an addict should not leave until treated and cleaned up - even if the time exceeds their sentence. Compulsory treatment or more time added on n other words.[/quote]

The drug situation in prison reflects society on the outside. You must also allow that prisons are populated more with drug users so should show a high proportional representation of this.

If he enters an addict and he wants to be clean of his habit he can. It all depends on the addict. In this respect they do not think rationally like a non addict. The addict is weak willed and given his right to medical attention he can be either already under treatment or supplied treatment, the prison will carryon with this as treated by his own doctor. Very few addicts in Prison try to kick the habit. For the time they are in prison they are supplied medication and treatment and assitance to stop taking drugs. But the only person who can make that choice is the addict. If they do not feel it is worth doing on the outside why would they want to do it in Prison.

They need to change first and in Prison we only see the results. Prisoners have a 75% recidivism rate. People offend against the law because they choose too.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:50 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Prison should be made as hellish an experience as possible, this is the best way of preventing re-offending!

No comforts in cells, just a bed, a table and a loo.

Only allowed out of cell for an hour's exercise a day and at meal times.

No TV in the whole prison.

Make it unbearable, then they'd think twice about going back there.