Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog Question

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 07:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dog Question

Dangerous asking for opinions I know but here goes...

As you probably know I have a 9 month old GSD bitch called Tara.

Now I am not a fan of getting bitches "done" due to basically me not liking the idea of her having an operation if its not needed.

Also she is from a fantastic bloodline (thanks to Spoon for this) as I feel although not right now, it might be a good idea to at least let her have one litter... maybe not with us but with the original breeder.

My question, how do you keep other dogs away from her ? Even on the lead they fight to get to her and I dont fancie kicking someone elses dog away from mine... obviously I dont want to let them "get together"

She had a Jack russel in the Park today and no amount of Shoowing or her attempting to get it away would stop it attempting to mount her and licking her... bits...

Whats the best way to handle this ?
Old 17 April 2008, 07:54 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant change the actions of the other dogs, when a bitch is on heat she releases hormones into the air, male dogs can smell this from quite a distance that she is advertising her availability , this causes unwanted attention ( for you )but not for the dog,
and in some cases aggression between other male dogs, The sensable advice is not to take a on heat bitch out.
Old 17 April 2008, 07:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

many years ago when I had a bitch, before she was done, the local dogs used to stand outside the house howling half the night, not a lot you can do about it really
Old 17 April 2008, 08:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Pimmo, first off you might need to check your registration as I'd be surprised if you haven't got restricted registration stopping you from breeding from her yourself. However taking her back to the breeder is an option but as Tara is a longcoated GSD, and therefore not breed standard, the breeder might not want to breed from her.

As for spaying well, before 20 months is considered wrong for a bitch and 24 months for a male.
Old 17 April 2008, 08:12 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

As said, firstly check your paperwork as some breeders impose restrictions! Secondly its quite frowned upon to breed from a bitch early in her life - I think the best age would be around the 18 month to 2 years - but this does vary from breed to breed.
And lastly, when your bitch is in season - don't take her out
Old 17 April 2008, 08:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Pimmo, first off you might need to check your registration as I'd be surprised if you haven't got restricted registration stopping you from breeding from her yourself. However taking her back to the breeder is an option but as Tara is a longcoated GSD, and therefore not breed standard, the breeder might not want to breed from her.

As for spaying well, before 20 months is considered wrong for a bitch and 24 months for a male.
Ah right.. there was no agreement towards breeding, the breeder actually ask me if we would be breeding..

As I said I don't plan at present to breed as one puppy is enough

The Vet suggested Spaying her at 3 months.. I was a bit concerned so asked the Breeder and she nearly punched me for asking

I moved vets soon after
Old 17 April 2008, 08:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
As said, firstly check your paperwork as some breeders impose restrictions! Secondly its quite frowned upon to breed from a bitch early in her life - I think the best age would be around the 18 month to 2 years - but this does vary from breed to breed.
And lastly, when your bitch is in season - don't take her out
shes pup fully of energy ... two walks a day and she still bounces around the house !

I'll find somewhere away from dogs to walk her then...

I would dream of breeding her for at least another year
Old 17 April 2008, 08:36 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'm not allowed to use my boy for stud. Shame really, he's a beaut

As for spaying etc. I would take advice from someone in the know rather than a Vet. I have little time for them apart the neccessary
Old 17 April 2008, 08:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cant really say much more than above.
I know for breeding in the other direction, its a breeders choice thing, as per contract.
Not taking her out when in season is prob the best bet, or if you do, keep her on a lead during that period. It should not cause too much hardship I would not have though.

Breeding guidelines for Mals is something like 2 years or 2 seasons.

If you dont intend on breeding, spaying is the accepted way to go. As she is a pet its not going to affect too much.

Not too sure how the breeding of her through the breeder would work. Who would look after her through the pregnancy and for the 8 weeks after the birth?
Old 17 April 2008, 08:40 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Cant really say much more than above.
I know for breeding in the other direction, its a breeders choice thing, as per contract.
Not taking her out when in season is prob the best bet, or if you do, keep her on a lead during that period. It should not cause too much hardship I would not have though.

Breeding guidelines for Mals is something like 2 years or 2 seasons.

If you dont intend on breeding, spaying is the accepted way to go. As she is a pet its not going to affect too much.

Not too sure how the breeding of her through the breeder would work. Who would look after her through the pregnancy and for the 8 weeks after the birth?
The breeder said she comes back to get preggers... she is then with the owner up untill near the end and then they take her for about two months whilst she has the pups and then the breeder sells them.

As Spoon said though shes long haired so might not want to know
Old 17 April 2008, 09:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
The breeder said she comes back to get preggers... she is then with the owner up untill near the end and then they take her for about two months whilst she has the pups and then the breeder sells them.

As Spoon said though shes long haired so might not want to know
**** that !! 2 months away havin babies, naaaaaa lol.
Surely they would not have shown interest if they were not interested due to her coat?
Either way, as a family pet and nothing more, I would not be happy about doing that at all.
Old 17 April 2008, 09:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

**** that !! 2 months away havin babies, naaaaaa lol.
Surely they would not have shown interest if they were not interested due to her coat?
Either way, as a family pet and nothing more, I would not be happy about doing that at all.
Longhaired GSD's in this country are fine and actually preferred by lots of people for their looks and 'larger than actual size' appearance due to their coats. The Police and other forces use them as their coats don't detract from their working ability here in the UK. You could argue in a much colder, wetter country the lack of undercoat would see the dogs getting waterlogged and colder much sooner.

If you are a purist and go by the breed standard however, then longcoated GSD's are a fault. Some breeders won't knowingly breed from a longcoat although what is born from a litter of 2 stock coats isn't always known until they appear. There is talk of a DNA test for the longcoat gene before breeding to satisfy those that are dead against it. What Pimmo's breeder says about it is whatever she and Pimmo had discussed I guess.

I know of some fantastic longcoated GSD's out of great bloodlines that are trained superbly and look excellent but couldn't be top show dogs as it stands today. Some club level events allow it though. Then again showing to most is like having a concours car and doesn't appeal, the working and training appeals much more.

I agree, if you have to send your pal away to have babies and you can't breed them yourself then it's no longer a pet but a dog equivalent of an ATM.
Old 17 April 2008, 09:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

if you have to send your pal away to have babies and you can't breed them yourself then it's no longer a pet but a dog equivalent of an ATM.
Thats one hell of a summary, but about right imo too.

I love the longhaired

Sometimes the show circles are a pain in the **** when it comes to "acceptable"
Old 17 April 2008, 09:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thats one hell of a summary, but about right imo too.

I love the longhaired

Sometimes the show circles are a pain in the **** when it comes to "acceptable"
I should have added a disclaimer:

*Under no circumstances should anybody try and insert a credit card in their dog*

The show circle lot are usually the type that like to caravan and barn dance too, oh and wear comfy fecking shoes.
Old 17 April 2008, 09:46 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

As has already been said speying should be left until she is fully grown as speying prematurely can lead to a lack of hormones that would normally be produced. This could lead to a do with small build skeletal problems etc etc - certainly not something you want in a GSD.

So far as breeding is concerned, I was similair to you when I first owned my bxers but after some time and speaking to people that helped with rescue boxers I know that their are more than enough young / adult dogs out there that require good homes after being abandoned for whatever reason, more importantly though, through no fault of their own.

So for me breeding any dog no matter their lineage, breed etc would be a no go especially as I am now involved in rescue, far too many dogs needing a good home without me potentially adding to the problem.

I'm not saying you would not be responsible if you decided to breed but just trying to put things in perspective I don't doubt your intentions for one minute!

Just my thoughts

Paul
Old 17 April 2008, 10:13 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingerboy
As has already been said speying should be left until she is fully grown as speying prematurely can lead to a lack of hormones that would normally be produced. This could lead to a do with small build skeletal problems etc etc - certainly not something you want in a GSD.

So far as breeding is concerned, I was similair to you when I first owned my bxers but after some time and speaking to people that helped with rescue boxers I know that their are more than enough young / adult dogs out there that require good homes after being abandoned for whatever reason, more importantly though, through no fault of their own.

So for me breeding any dog no matter their lineage, breed etc would be a no go especially as I am now involved in rescue, far too many dogs needing a good home without me potentially adding to the problem.

I'm not saying you would not be responsible if you decided to breed but just trying to put things in perspective I don't doubt your intentions for one minute!

Just my thoughts

Paul
No I agree completely... I dont see the dog as a source of income and the pups if she were to have them would be for (as I believe it) for her mental well being. I feel allowing a dog to carry is really good for them.. I dont know how factual that is but ...

anyway ...

thanks for the replies.. a wealth of knowledge as always
Old 17 April 2008, 10:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

No I agree completely... I dont see the dog as a source of income and the pups if she were to have them would be for (as I believe it) for her mental well being. I feel allowing a dog to carry is really good for them.. I dont know how factual that is but ...

anyway ...

thanks for the replies.. a wealth of knowledge as always
Dont know that it has any benefit to be honest. Hormonal changes can change a bitch for the better or worse really. If any change at all.

Can drain some dogs, others seem to weather it well.

Would not get a bitch preggers for her "well being" but I get what you mean.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Dont know that it has any benefit to be honest. Hormonal changes can change a bitch for the better or worse really. If any change at all.

Can drain some dogs, others seem to weather it well.

Would not get a bitch preggers for her "well being" but I get what you mean.
I just dont wanna get her done
Old 17 April 2008, 10:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean mate, but for 99% it makes little difference. In the same breath, would you want her having a litter with a mutt. Even worse, would you want to find out she was pregnant after going for an off lead run, and going out of sight for a minute?

Sometimes something like the op can be whats best in the long run, especially if you are not going to be breeding her. Breeders can get REALLY pissy if you cross their bloodlines with something else.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

You wonder why I said to get a male and NOT a bitch and you changed your mind at the last hurdle?
Old 17 April 2008, 10:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

You wonder why I said to get a male and NOT a bitch and you changed your mind at the last hurdle?
To be honest, and its a little shameful in some peoples eyes maybe, but thats exactly why I went for a dog "low maintainance" in certain respects. That and the size lol.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:47 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I can't put either of mine out to stud due to retrictions placed by the kennel they came from. Woody is bigger than breed standard anyway, Buzz has bandy legs so wouldn't make a show dog.

Then again, they've both been snipped so they can't sire anything.
Old 17 April 2008, 10:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

It was the long haired I wanted overal really.

Dunno .. I dont regret her.. just want whats best
Old 17 April 2008, 10:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

We went in complete opposite direction...

in this order, breed, sex, quality of breeder, looks.

Was not bothered about what our fella looked like, or would turn out like. Just that it was the right breed and sex, and from a healthy bloodline.

Dont blame you for wanting a long hair though. Just sounds like a bit more thought about the sexing would have not gone amiss.
Old 17 April 2008, 11:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

We went in complete opposite direction...

in this order, breed, sex, quality of breeder, looks.

Was not bothered about what our fella looked like, or would turn out like. Just that it was the right breed and sex, and from a healthy bloodline.

Dont blame you for wanting a long hair though. Just sounds like a bit more thought about the sexing would have not gone amiss.
Went with blood line, hip score, parent temp, long haired,

No regrets really ! especially when I come home from work... in about an hour and she wakes up with her ears down to come and meet me !

Spoon
Scooby Regular

It was the long haired I wanted overal really.

Dunno .. I dont regret her.. just want whats best
She had a longcoated male too though when I was talking to her.
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Mine is long haired GSD and a boy

On excellent advice (cheers Spoon ) he got me the perfect dog. I could not be doing with all this seasons etc. I did want a female but Spoon told me all the pros and cons and am glad I decided on a boy.

Any pics of yours pimmo
Old 17 April 2008, 11:13 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300

Any pics of yours pimmo
Shouldn't you PM him for those?
Old 17 April 2008, 11:14 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Shouldn't you PM him for those?

Why would I do that, the ones I have of you are more than enough
Old 17 April 2008, 11:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Why would I do that, the ones I have of you are more than enough
Just one would fill your inbox, big girl.

Quick Reply: Dog Question