Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone without contract?!

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 12:45 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone without contract?!

Sounds too good to be true. Anyone done it?

Iphone 8GB + 16GB - Available for R.R.P ( £269 ) + Possible £60 Quidco @ CPW! - HotUKDeals Forum

I'm very wary, in case they block it down the line. But as they're £169 now, might be worth a bash!
Old 17 April 2008, 12:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You're essentially just purchasing an iPhone and then need to use ziPhone, or another tool to remove the network lock from it. There are a few people on here that have used ziPhone to unlock it with great success.

The problem is that when Apple releases another update to the iPhone software, you will not be able to upgrade to it until the developers of ziPhone, or another tool, update their code to unlock it. If you don't upgrade to the latest software, and from what I know you don't have to (I could be wrong though), then all that happens is you don't get the new features/bug fixes from the updated software.

If you want an iPhone but can wait until, at the earliest, mid June, then do so as it is rumored that there may be a new iPhone coming and I'd imagine if that is so, then an official announcement about it would be made at the Apple World Wide Developers Conference in June.
Old 17 April 2008, 12:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Simple, don't update it.
Old 17 April 2008, 01:00 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

But don't O2/CPW kick off about the lack of contract?

I understand the rest of it.
Old 17 April 2008, 01:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Activation of the contract is done via iTunes when you get the phone home. Now, who is to say that you purchased the iPhone as a gift for someone and they never activated it I can't see how CDW/O2 could really complain or do anything about that, especially if you don't have a contract with them, which you won't if you unlock the phone and use it with another network.

If the phone is unlocked then you can use it with any network. The advantage of an O2 contract is that you get unlimited data included with it, and I'd say most other plans from O2, or other carriers won't do this, thus if you want to use the mobile browsing side of things via the phone side of things, rather than wifi, then you'd end up with a possibly hefty bill.

It's one of the reasons that I don't have an iPhone. It's not released in Canada and so there isn't a nice unlimited plan, and Rogers' data plans are rather expensive. I'd end up paying double what I currently am just to use the iPhone and I don't actually use the phone side of things that much, so to me it's not worth it. I suspect one of the major reasons for it not being released here is Rogers, which has a virtual monopoly, doesn't want to offer unlimited data plans as they would lose a lot of revenue.

Last edited by Markus; 17 April 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 17 April 2008, 05:30 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Its sh*te
The LG viewty has a better touch screen, pisses on it in terms of features, is cheaper but has 1% of the hype.

Nokias new touch screen out later this year too ))
Old 17 April 2008, 09:38 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

BTW... they have knocked £100 off the price of an 8Mb I-Phone, it's still £326 for the 16Mb version however. This seems to be an interim move prior to the release of a suspected 3G version in the summer.

Edit: Scratch that... I just read the first post again... (already mentioned)
Old 18 April 2008, 09:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just bought an 8 gig one from CPW I plan to unlock it I'm with o2 and already have an unlimited internet account Been surfing the web on my HTC Touch so will give the iphone a try now. If its no good my contract is dure for renewal in 4 months so I can get the newer improved one if I like
Old 19 April 2008, 11:09 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I can't believe that people spend so much money on these pointless gadgets.

You didn't need one 20 years ago and you don't need one now.

It makes me laugh when they say on the BBC news that you can now get the latest headlines sent to your mobile, what a waste of time, or you can see Premiership goals when you're in the bath or something.

FFS, life's too short.

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!

And breathe......
Old 19 April 2008, 11:11 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

And don't get me started on the f*ckwits who walk around supermarkets with a Bluetooth headset on. You can see that they are just sooooo desperate for someone to call them.
Old 19 April 2008, 11:14 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yes, life is too short, my iPhone allows me to spend less time at my desk.
Old 19 April 2008, 08:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak
Its sh*te
The LG viewty has a better touch screen, pisses on it in terms of features, is cheaper but has 1% of the hype.

disagree with you. I have a viewty and whilst nice, the touch screen is ****e compared to the iphone, has no wi-fi and is fairly on par with features.
True it is cheaper, as in I didnt pay for mine , but we are so used to free or subsidised handsets in this country, that we moan about the price.
Old 19 April 2008, 08:22 PM
Will
BANNED

you lot need to get a n95, far better than a iphone.
Old 20 April 2008, 09:19 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
you lot need to get a n95, far better than a iphone.
Sure you do
Old 20 April 2008, 09:40 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
And don't get me started on the f*ckwits who walk around supermarkets with a Bluetooth headset on. You can see that they are just sooooo desperate for someone to call them.
i know them pr1cks what complete utter t*ssers

im not into phone dont know anything about them and im only 28 but i wouldnt mind one with the internet on but are they still so slow and take ages downloading webpages or are they faster now and could you log onto scoobynet or ebay

which is better for internet without contract and does it cost an absolute fortune to view 1 page

Last edited by zs_phil; 20 April 2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 20 April 2008, 02:41 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by zs_phil
i know them pr1cks what complete utter t*ssers

im not into phone dont know anything about them and im only 28 but i wouldnt mind one with the internet on but are they still so slow and take ages downloading webpages or are they faster now and could you log onto scoobynet or ebay

which is better for internet without contract and does it cost an absolute fortune to view 1 page
Nokia n95 . when my bitch is on the computer i use my n95 and connect to the internet via my bt home hub and surf scoobynet, ebay etc etc. and its free that way
Old 20 April 2008, 03:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

The nokia n96 is out soon and it has 32gig of internal memory as standard
Old 20 April 2008, 04:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nothing can match the iPhone for an internet experience, other phones - N95 included - offer a semi-internet that you can kind of use, and email that you can kind of get by with.

The iPhone is an extension of your internet use, the same internet you use sat at a workstation or laptop, and that's just a part of what sets it so far ahead of other mobile devices.

Test's and demonstrations - to N95 users in particular, as they have the largest chip - show that I can pick up my phone and browse the internet much faster than they can, 3g or no 3g. Next time you see an iPhone user ask them for a race to display a web page... you'll lose.

And the internet is only one part of the iPhone that is well ahead of the game
Old 20 April 2008, 05:53 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Its an outdated poorly specc'd phone, but with a cool user interface.
Nothing more.
Old 20 April 2008, 06:24 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Its sh*te

LMAO

The iphone's screen is a revelation and there is NOTHING else like it out there IMO
Old 20 April 2008, 06:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Its an outdated poorly specc'd phone, but with a cool user interface.
Nothing more.
I think the operating system and applications might be something you've overlooked.
Old 20 April 2008, 09:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Nothing can match the iPhone for an internet experience, other phones - N95 included - offer a semi-internet that you can kind of use, and email that you can kind of get by with.
I have had a try of my iphone today and to be honest I think my HTC touch is better, The internet is resized better on it and I have no problems with my emails, The contact from my sim aren't copied into the iphone either which is a bit of a pain having to enter them all manually
Old 20 April 2008, 10:39 PM
Will
BANNED

iphone is crap, hasnt got a proper camra, in fact its ****. the nokia n95 has better camra etc etc, and can do every thing the iphone can do
Old 20 April 2008, 11:16 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

I`m thinking of getting the 8gb just as another gadget, but I dont have iTunes on my computer how would I get all my albums I have ripped to the iPhone is it just drag and drop or something differant.
And could I go into any CPW store and buy one or would I have to get it online if I plan to unlock it and not use the intended O2 contract
Old 21 April 2008, 08:41 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Could you buy an 8gb iphone and just use it like a touch and not activate the phone contract? Or is the entire device locked out until its activated/unlocked?
The phne is locked until activated, the 1st time you conect to itunes it goes straight to the itunes store for you to pick the contract
Old 21 April 2008, 09:06 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JackClark
Nothing can match the iPhone for an internet experience
Can they run Java yet ?
Old 21 April 2008, 09:20 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
So as soon as you get it you need to use ziphone then and unlock it even if you just want to use it as in ipod touch initially? If you do this can you you put it back to standard again later if you then decide you want to activate it on the o2 contract?

Yup, but its best to upgrade to 1.1.4 first on the restore there is no reason to activate it for an 02 contract as it would be better to get a free phone from 02 sell that off then use the unlocked iphone on the new contract I looked at the 02 website about the iphone and it states "That if you loose your iphone it is your responsibility to purchase another iphone which will then have to be entered into another contract " So personally I see this phone on contract as a big rip off !!

Quick Reply: iPhone without contract?!