Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RIP Dog

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 10:55 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP Dog

Had our old dog, my arch nemesis and star of many a SN thread Molly put to sleep this morning, probably the hardest thing I have ever done, she was just short of 15 years old.

Not sure what I feel at the moment, kind of glad, a bit of a **** and sad, she was still up and walking around but the smell had got to us, we didnt want to put her through an operation, she couldn't see, she couldn't hear and was getting increasingly bewildered. The vet didtn try to persuade me otherwise and was very good, she went in seconds, all the way through I wanted to shout stop but I didn't, her head lolled sideways and that was it, gone.

Sweet dreams Moll
Old 16 April 2008, 10:56 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your bound to be cut up mate, a dog really is a mans best friend.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:57 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Not a pet man myself, but that must be a hard thing to do.

Sounds to me from what you've written that you did the best thing for your Molly. And that's all a pet can ever ask for.

Hope you feel better soon.

Flightman.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:59 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

always hard to do mate,especially when youve had her so long;but you have to think you have done the right thing by her.at least she wont suffer anymore
Old 16 April 2008, 11:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, sorry to hear that... actually feel gutted for you.. can imagine the gap the poor smelly thing will leave...

Probably for the best as you say ...
Old 16 April 2008, 11:02 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

R.I.P. Molly
Old 16 April 2008, 11:19 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads, still cant get my head round the fact she isn't here anymore, I told the kids what was happening last night as when I was a kid I got told stuff about pets that just confused me, like my Hamster had gone "to have babies", so there's me waiting for its post maternal return and pondering when it had its sex change, why my mum couldnt have said she went down and found it dead, you could have knocked nails in with it etc I dont know !

The worst was when a local dog befriended me and my mate, it was a scruffy mongrel called Tina, very intelligent, it used to call for us to go and play, its owners having kicked it out all day, it crossed the road better than us as well, anyway, my dad told me she had been knocked down as he didn't want to tell me that its owners were moving away and got her put down as they couldn't take her with them, my dad who really didnt want a dog said to me years later that he would have took her on, which beleive me was high praise indeed.

So, I decided to not dress it up for my kids, they understood and didnt really react until bedtime when there were a few tears, then eldest this morning but I am not sure whether thats the dog or an attempt at a day off school.
Old 16 April 2008, 11:23 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Sad news J4cko

RIP Molly
Old 16 April 2008, 11:35 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Sad news, certainly the hardest thing Ive ever had to do in the past and I only had him 2 years so to have had the dog 15 years it must have been very hard hitting.

RIP
Old 16 April 2008, 11:40 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Sorry to hear of your loss Jacko. RIP Molly
Old 16 April 2008, 12:09 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your loss, I know how you feel, when I lived at home my Mum and Dad's dog had to be put down, she was nearly 19!!! It was the worst feeling ever and the guilt was awful, even though it was for the best as she had arthritis and could hardly walk anymore, she never seemed in pain but we just didn't know, she couldn't go on plus she had a heart murmmer (sp?). We had to get the vet to come to the house really early in the morning while she was still asleep in her bed because she used to hate going to the vets and would have her nails fixed to the ground at the vets surgery door not wanting to go in, we couldn't have taken her there, the best thing was for her to go peacefully while she was still asleep. If I remember correctly I think I got the day off school, wish it hadn't been for that like, my Dad was in pieces afterwards and you can't help but feel guilty, it's an awful feeling but it's for a good reason if they can't carry on, it's cruel to keep them alive in an awful state I think.
Old 16 April 2008, 12:12 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Really sorry to hear about this mate.

Haven't got a dog now but certainly know that they do become little family members themselves, something that a lot of non-dog owners do not realise.

At least the wee stinker isn't in discomfort any more , although that's not a great consolation

RIP Molly.
Old 16 April 2008, 01:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this, J4CKO, but 15 years is a decent dog innings and you did all you could and more than some, given her health issues in the last months.
Old 16 April 2008, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sorry to hear about that J4CKO. Our old cat passed on a little while ago and we had him for 22 years. Its terrible to lose a part of the family like that. I know how you must have felt at the vet's I just hope I am never in the same position. We found the best thing was to get another cat quickly. Another dog would do wonders I bet.

Les
Old 16 April 2008, 01:18 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

So sorry J4CKO

A very brave thing for you to do

My old man and his wife have an adorable old White German Shepherd (hips gone...among many other things) and he is only being kept alive for their needs I'm sure....

I wish they'd do the decent thing as when anytime i visit you can see in his eyes that he has lost the will

Sad for you and the kids
Old 16 April 2008, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Had our old dog, my arch nemesis and star of many a SN thread Molly put to sleep this morning, probably the hardest thing I have ever done, she was just short of 15 years old.

Not sure what I feel at the moment, kind of glad, a bit of a **** and sad, she was still up and walking around but the smell had got to us, we didnt want to put her through an operation, she couldn't see, she couldn't hear and was getting increasingly bewildered. The vet didtn try to persuade me otherwise and was very good, she went in seconds, all the way through I wanted to shout stop but I didn't, her head lolled sideways and that was it, gone.

Sweet dreams Moll
Hurts like heck when you have to let them go: pets occupy a special place in our hearts - hard to put your finger on it exactly, but you get a kind of love from an animal, humans just can't replicate. I'm not ashamed to admit, I cried like a baby for days went my old dog had to be put to sleep, he was nearly 20.

My condolences.

Chin up mate, you gave an old friend who was suffering a quick and dignified end! You did the right thing by her, and that's all that matters.

Be grateful for the time you had her and thankful for the memories.

Have a drink in her memory tonight!

All the best,

Paul
Old 16 April 2008, 02:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate, sounds like you made the right decision, and it came from the heart. RIP Molly
Old 16 April 2008, 02:52 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's a really hard decision to make, but you did the best thing for her.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:03 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this mate. I had my Staffie put down 2 years and I still miss him - broke my heart. Unless your a dog lover you don't really understand what people go through, they are part of your family. We always said we would get another and I would recommend it. We got our new staff a week later and it really helped to take our mind's off it. Get another one ASAP
Old 16 April 2008, 03:10 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

awww J4CKO, am so sorry

I think after your last thread about Molly, you have done the right thing. Hard though it is.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Sorry to hear this mate. I had my Staffie put down 2 years and I still miss him - broke my heart. Unless your a dog lover you don't really understand what people go through, they are part of your family. We always said we would get another and I would recommend it. We got our new staff a week later and it really helped to take our mind's off it. Get another one ASAP
Yeah, has made me think that we will get another, dont know what to get, will just see what turns up, might get a rescue Dog.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:46 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Im so sorry to hear of your loss this made me cry

Im sure she's gone to a better place where she can see and hear and eat as many treats as she can manage

RIP Moll

Steph x
Old 16 April 2008, 04:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Old 16 April 2008, 04:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Jacko,

Sorry to hear of your loss mate I suppose it was the best thing for her.

My two maniacs are staying at my dads just now until i decided what i am doing house wise as the farm is now sold but ideally i need to buy somewhere with a bit of a garden so they can run about daft. I love there company & i wouldnt want to part with them.

I had to put to sleep my other dog a few years back & even though he annoyed the life out of me with getting hairs over the place & pee'in in the corner when it suited him i still miss him to this very day.

RIP Molly, your away to doggy heaven
Old 16 April 2008, 05:52 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I got a Rough Collie when I was eight and he died the week before I hit twenty. As my Dad was in the forces we moved around and being an only kid it was like loosing a brother.
It didn't fully hit me til the following day - AT WORK!!
When my mum went into town to sort the old dogs insurance out she saw a stall for a dog rescue home. When she went over a little rescued mongrel came over and started fussing over her. They've had Kizzy now coming up to 10 years.

It sounds like you did the only sensible thing for Molly. It's awful but the dog's not suffering anymore.
Give it some time to settle then get over to your local dog rescue place
Old 16 April 2008, 05:58 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

So sorry Jacko, we've had to this many times before and it sucks. but they still are mans, & ladys best friends.
You have done the right thing.
Give it time and I hope you get a new one soon, it is the best form of recovery.

RIP Molly
Old 16 April 2008, 06:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I look at my stupid puppy now and it brings a tear to my eye how you must feel !!

I know I already posted but our thoughts are with you mate
Old 16 April 2008, 06:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

At times like these you should remember all the funny/happy times you had with.... you did the right thing fella

.... and if smelling bad is so awful how come you haven't put Jacko's Mate to sleep yet?
Old 16 April 2008, 08:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sweet dreams Moll
YHPM

Quick Reply: RIP Dog