Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do I sell the Scooby, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2008, 04:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I sell the Scooby, what would you do?

OK its crunch time for me. Work have just cut my sick pay seriously, so much so that just paying the monthly outgoings has just become a chore. I am having to ponce off the other half to do so.

Meanwhile I have a court case looming, claiming against my employer for various things.
So these things can take time, but im hoping for a quick sort out of things, and in the longterm am looking to move on from there and go it alone in something else (which shall remain nameless at this time)

In the meantime, do I scrape by and do my best to hang on to the car, or do I call it a day.
Settlement figure on the car is £8k now, and im pretty sure I can sell it for a bit more than that. So would come out of it with something, while saving my monthly payments on it and putting me in a better position.

So what would you do.

Long term, im hoping for a couple of quid from work which would easily get me out of any strife I cause by hanging on to the car.

Tough one in one sense, but common sense prevails on the other hand, and just screams get rid of the car.
Old 15 April 2008, 04:32 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You generally think along the same lines as me, so I'll just say "If you're keeping the Mondeo, you know what to do."
Old 15 April 2008, 04:32 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say sell it.. you know you need to... but then I looked at your profile !!

Now I say either keep it or give it to me
Old 15 April 2008, 04:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Sell it. god damn money pits! I wish I could get rid of mine.
Old 15 April 2008, 04:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I was going to say sell it.. you know you need to... but then I looked at your profile !!

Now I say either keep it or give it to me
lol what does that mean

I thought most would say sell it too. Just a pain in the **** taking a bit of a loss on it. But thats life eh

In 2 minds at the mo though.
Need to, not really. Should... maybe.
Old 15 April 2008, 04:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I got into trouble, the scoob had to go. Simple as that. Haven't been that upset since my old cat died (I'm not joking either)

Next 12 months I'm getting myself straight. Next year, I'll have more income, no credit apart from the mortgage and be able to pick up on a cheap Type R that someone is desperate to sell
Old 15 April 2008, 04:57 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i think what you should do is go across the street, ask your new fit neighbour which car she is more impressed with and likely to sleep with you for owning, then sell the other one

on a serious note, i struggled through when money was tight with my car and eventually it sorted itself out. at the time i wasnt in enough of a bad situation to really think about selling something i loved. only advice i can say is deep down you will know when you will have to sell it, and when that time comes if it aint already happened then go for it. on the bright side when you are doing better in a few months/years you may miss it to a point where you will buy something better
Old 15 April 2008, 05:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
i think what you should do is go across the street, ask your new fit neighbour which car she is more impressed with and likely to sleep with you for owning, then sell the other one

on a serious note, i struggled through when money was tight with my car and eventually it sorted itself out. at the time i wasnt in enough of a bad situation to really think about selling something i loved. only advice i can say is deep down you will know when you will have to sell it, and when that time comes if it aint already happened then go for it. on the bright side when you are doing better in a few months/years you may miss it to a point where you will buy something better
lol cheers mate, its nice to get a light hearted post on this
On the serious part, yeah I make you right actually, time will tell I guess.

On a lighter note, things are not as bad as they seemed, so looking up now Phew, that was a tough 10 mins

I might get around to getting rid of the car anyway if things change the way I want them to, so might yet be up for consideration.

Cheers for the replies though guys
Old 15 April 2008, 05:30 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

I`d say sell it. At the end of the day its only a piece of metal and if you can get back more than what you owe then you`ll save yourself until your situation is better. Then get a classic
Old 15 April 2008, 05:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiny gsy
I`d say sell it. At the end of the day its only a piece of metal and if you can get back more than what you owe then you`ll save yourself until your situation is better. Then get a classic
All sounded like good sense until those last few words

Gonna try and weather the storm for now, and see what the coming month and letters from my solicitor bring. Then go from there.

Down side is the tax and 10k service are almost due..... Hurry up and pass storm lol
Old 15 April 2008, 05:39 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

sell the other halfs car

If she doesnt have one sell her
Old 15 April 2008, 06:05 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Sell the pics of your neighbour to all the pervs on here
Old 15 April 2008, 06:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
sell the other halfs car

If she doesnt have one sell her
She has already offered herself to be Ebay'ed
She drives a company car, so cant sell hers, changes too often to know what I would be advertising anyway lol
Old 15 April 2008, 06:06 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Sell the dog ?

You could save a fortune on feeding bills
Old 15 April 2008, 06:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Sell the dog ?

You could save a fortune on feeding bills
lol its far from expensive to feed the lil fella.
Getting rid of the car would make huge financial sense, but im gonna hold out til I know whats happening with other plans first.
If its worth selling it to be in a better position, it will go
Old 15 April 2008, 06:22 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
If its worth bein a better position, it will go
Like a 69 with your neighbour?

I'm sure you will make the sensible decision.
I'm putting my motor up for sale as a company car is looking likely. That'll put at least 7k in my account which I know will be handy to pay bills or discount my mortgage and makes things a little more comfortable.

Or the other way to look at it is simple: which car will lose more value if the dog eats it?
Old 15 April 2008, 06:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol what does that mean

I thought most would say sell it too. Just a pain in the **** taking a bit of a loss on it. But thats life eh

In 2 minds at the mo though.
Need to, not really. Should... maybe.
Ok put it this way ...

Walk out side and look at it !

Sill wanna sell it
Old 15 April 2008, 06:53 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Sell the pics of your neighbour to me and all the pervs on here
Old 15 April 2008, 06:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Ok put it this way ...

Walk out side and look at it !

Sill wanna sell it
Not a matter of want to. I dont "want" rid of it. Or I would never have bought it
lol SC that aint a bad idea ya know. But I got to get one first lol
Old 15 April 2008, 06:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Firstly bah Snaz your six months younger than me

Although you seem to have alayed the problem at this stage I would still consider selling as it would allow you to refocus on the things you want and relieve the potential for future concerns.
Having looked at things similar but for different reasons that is what I would do myself
Old 15 April 2008, 07:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Firstly bah Snaz your six months younger than me

Although you seem to have alayed the problem at this stage I would still consider selling as it would allow you to refocus on the things you want and relieve the potential for future concerns.
Having looked at things similar but for different reasons that is what I would do myself
lol unlucky oldie !
Like I say, things really rest in the balance at the mo. If things turn out the way they are expected, I will have a new car soon anyway, so would be daft for the time being to have 2 new cars.
However I want to be sure its gonna work out first, before commiting to selling.

In the meantime, the car will only depreciate in value at about the same rate I make the payments lol, so not too worried just yet. If it gets to the point where its not sensible to hold on to the car any longer, I will sell either way.
Old 15 April 2008, 07:09 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

OTOH Snaz, if you wait too long no1 will be able to buy it anyway so you'll be stuck, harsh I know but realistic m8.
Old 15 April 2008, 07:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
OTOH Snaz, if you wait too long no1 will be able to buy it anyway so you'll be stuck, harsh I know but realistic m8.
Then I switch to plan B......

Serious though, the prices might drop but I dont think the average joe buying in this priced market will be affected so badly they cant afford it.
If they do, so be it lol

Will make my real decision in the coming 2-3 months. As its crunch time with work, income etc, so they are the things I need to sort out before anything else.

If however Lloyds Insurance were not such knobbers, I would be in far less of a dilemma, but thats another story lol
Old 15 April 2008, 08:55 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Snazy;7810749]She drives a company car, so cant sell hers/QUOTE]

so why cant you sell it
Old 15 April 2008, 09:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

so why cant you sell it

For the reason you cut off the end..... changes too often to know what I would be advertising anyway lol
Old 16 April 2008, 09:26 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Snazy, sell the car, borrowing off your missus is not a good thing, and no Subaru is worth that.
Get yourself in a financially stable position and one day if you want another one buy one when you can confortably afford it.

You have no control over how quickly this court case can be resolved, no control over how well going alone will go, no control over the rising cost of living and general economic state, but you are still in a position where you can choose to sell your car, as opposed to waiting a few months and finding you are in a position where you have to sell it.

Put it into perspective, it's just a car at the end of the day, so sell the thing.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:26 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Similar situation a end of last year, used my scoob as a daily runner prob doing about 500 miles a week. Then got the bombshell that I was going to be made redundant at the end of this year. Found out about the redunancy 1 day after finding out the mrs was pregnant. I put my common sense head on and sold the scoob and got another run around. Regretted it as soon as I heard it drive off down the street

End of the day, you know what you have to do.

TAKE SOME FECKIN PICS OF THE NEW NEIGHBOUR
Old 16 April 2008, 09:32 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Snazy, sell the car, borrowing off your missus is not a good thing, and no Subaru is worth that.
Get yourself in a financially stable position and one day if you want another one buy one when you can confortably afford it.

You have no control over how quickly this court case can be resolved, no control over how well going alone will go, no control over the rising cost of living and general economic state, but you are still in a position where you can choose to sell your car, as opposed to waiting a few months and finding you are in a position where you have to sell it.

Put it into perspective, it's just a car at the end of the day, so sell the thing.

No need to borrow from the missus Position has changed slightly, so I dont "need" to sell the car. However as things start to become clearer, if I need to I will.

Dont get me wrong, im not emotionally attached to the car or anything, not like its shattering my childhood dream to get rid lol.
tbh, the growing cost of living is not really affecting me as directly as it might affect some. But of course petrol is costly but hey

Selling in the next couple of months would to me be the same as selling it now. Just not gonna panic and sell it if I dont need to.
End of the summer though, if all goes to plan, it probably will go.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:47 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

keep the car just find your other half a second job.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:26 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unless there's something particularly special about the car I would say sell it. It's not like you couldn't get another one when you're sorted, is it?

Quick Reply: Do I sell the Scooby, what would you do?