Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why Muslims have it right

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2008, 09:51 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Muslims have it right

Read this properly before anything silly is posted.

I had the pleasure of being invited to a Muslim wedding reception and what I saw opened my eyes.

Respect for elders,family and friends in abundance,treating guests like they were royalty,the absolute belief in marriage and responsibilites of marriage.

In essence it was what my view of Britain used to be....maybe 30 years ago.When Christianty and general values meant something

You can laugh and joke now but I feel really sad that my view of what constitutes normal family life of a typical non muslim/faith following UK resident is the debacle with the child that went missing and all those that appeared on telly.

Anyway.Thank you to the hosts.I was impressed on what was a lovely occasion.Especially catering for about 1000 people incredibly efficiently!
Old 14 April 2008, 09:53 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Were the women wearing their full durkhas(sp)?

Or were they treated equally like the men?

I've been to a Sikh, Jewish & Christian weddings, and to be honest, the people at these events all showed respect to elders,family and friends. They also looked after the guests.

I don't think Muslims have the corner on that market.

I do agree that most of the values you have mentioned above have degraded across the UK in general, but I really don't see the Muslim faith to be the way forward.

One of my female friends converted to Muslim about a year ago. And due to pressures from her new husband & his family, she has cut herself off from her own parents, family & friends as they are non-Muslim.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 14 April 2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 14 April 2008, 09:59 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the majority of Muslims aren't terrorists,radicals or just plain loony but as always it's the minority that does **** it up for the majority.
Old 14 April 2008, 10:06 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Don't forget the majority of Muslims aren't terrorists,radicals or just plain loony but as always it's the minority that does **** it up for the majority.
thats what they WANT YOU TO THINK!
Old 14 April 2008, 10:06 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Were the women wearing their full durkhas(sp)?

Or were they treated equally like the men?

The women wore extremley colourful clothes.No hiding of faces (some stunning women there too).Don't know who the ones are that wear the pillar box things but certainly no one at this wedding.

They were all treated with respect.The only difference was a seperate banqueting room thing for women and children to begin with (gave me a break from the wife anyway!)
Old 14 April 2008, 10:07 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Muslims do not have the monopoly on respect, it's sadly a British thing that we don't. Lot's of other religions or countries do.

I suppose that as they seem to have zero respect for women, it kinda balances it out?

Geezer
Old 14 April 2008, 10:12 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
thats what they WANT YOU TO THINK!
True they can be sneaky buggers
Old 14 April 2008, 10:13 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
You can laugh and joke now but I feel really sad that my view of what constitutes normal family life of a typical non muslim/faith following UK resident is the debacle with the child that went missing and all those that appeared on telly.

The Shannon mattews case hardly represents "normal family life" in the UK - Any more than Hindley and Brady represents the 60's
Old 14 April 2008, 10:16 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Didn't say that though.I said it is my view
Old 14 April 2008, 11:16 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

A wedding is hardly the place to judge a religion.

You tend to find people at wedding behave themselves unless it's one of the shameless type affairs.
Old 14 April 2008, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The Shannon mattews case hardly represents "normal family life" in the UK - Any more than Hindley and Brady represents the 60's
The sad thing Pete is that the Shannon case really represents what can only be described as "non family life" in this country and that has become so widespread largely because of the policies laid down by "modern" politicians.

That was a very interesting description Lozgti. I think it is an example of what I have said in the past and that Islamic basics like most religions are perfectly reasonable and in many ways relate to when we had full decent family life in this country. The problem as ever are caused by extremists or self seeking selfish people on both sides of the candle who are not following the real teachings or natural law for their own selfish purposes.

Les
Old 14 April 2008, 11:26 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've been to an Indian wedding and thought the same as OP. Very respectful affair.
I was made very welcome and the booze kept flowing - always a few pints readily poured at the bar.
Old 14 April 2008, 11:27 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre

You tend to find people at wedding behave themselves unless it's one of the shameless type affairs.
Spot on.

Having spent a year in a moderate Muslim country i can confirm that a lot of what has been said is never the less true, it is also true of many other religions and it is not just down to one or more religions to teach and instill this, it is society and families.

The UK has to sort itself out, has to get back some respect and people need to know more than their rights - their responsibilities as well.

One thing the Muslims do seem to have right is strict and harsh punishments for those who CHOOSE to break the law.
Old 14 April 2008, 11:29 AM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above all we have to remember is that there is good and bad in all religions in the same way as there is good and bad in all races
Old 14 April 2008, 11:38 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Was it 2 cousins marrying?
Old 14 April 2008, 11:40 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Spot on.

Having spent a year in a moderate Muslim country i can confirm that a lot of what has been said is never the less true, it is also true of many other religions and it is not just down to one or more religions to teach and instill this, it is society and families.

The UK has to sort itself out, has to get back some respect and people need to know more than their rights - their responsibilities as well.

One thing the Muslims do seem to have right is strict and harsh punishments for those who CHOOSE to break the law.
Well said.

(I also spent some time in the Middle East (5 and a half years))
Old 14 April 2008, 11:59 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Was it arranged, or did the bride know the groom before she turned up?
Old 14 April 2008, 12:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cool, where can I sign up

Its not a case of they are right and we are wrong, all the weddings I have been to have been fairly respectable, i.e. though most people are pretty decent, even the ********* are on their best behaviour at a wedding.

Its not about us sorting ourselves out, as whether each section of society likes it or not we are all part of the same society, there are wrong doers in all sections, what you tend to find is that each group tends to have favourite ways of misbehaving, for the whites its drunken fighting whilst the Asians busy themselves with crashing into each other in rental cars and the Black dudes shoot and stab each other for "Respec".
Old 14 April 2008, 12:14 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its not about us sorting ourselves out, as whether each section of society likes it or not we are all part of the same society, there are wrong doers in all sections, what you tend to find is that each group tends to have favourite ways of misbehaving, for the whites its drunken fighting whilst the Asians busy themselves with crashing into each other in rental cars and the Black dudes shoot and stab each other for "Respec".
You forgot to stereotype the mixed race community. Sort it out
Old 14 April 2008, 12:25 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I assume it wasn't a gay civil ceremony, as Muslims don't tolerate homosexuality.
Old 14 April 2008, 12:26 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

The Mixed racers? They're just fcuked up.
Old 14 April 2008, 12:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landing
The Mixed racers? They're just fcuked up.
That is because they is black.

Oh, hang on, they aren't....
Old 14 April 2008, 12:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You forgot to stereotype the mixed race community. Sort it out
Er, prehaps they tend to only get half drunk and half heartedly stab someone.

Watch the news, read the papers and ask yourself why the stereotypes exist, we are all fairly stereotypical, the point of my post was that people from all sections of society do wrong, just not neccesarily the same type of wrong, read the crime figures as well, that is an eye opener, to the extent that their used to be panic at the Police when they were released as it made the Police look biased even when actively avoiding stopping certain targets on race grounds.

Also. is it me or do Oriental people tend to behave better than the rest of us, apart from the odd Triad related incident I cant remember seeing many incidents involving Chinese or Japanese people, or is it because there are less Oriental people in the country, are they smarter and use the rest of us to do anything illegal ?
Old 14 April 2008, 12:49 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
the point of my post was that people from all sections of society do wrong, just not neccesarily the same type of wrong, read the crime figures as well, that is an eye opener, to the extent that their used to be panic at the Police when they were released as it made the Police look biased even when actively avoiding stopping certain targets on race grounds.
I know. I just didn't want you discrimenating against mixed raced by leaving them out

Last time I kicked a mixed-race lad out of the pub, he gave it the full works "It's cos I is black", he didn't want to back down and his Jamaican accent was amusing me highly. The lad actually had skin as pale, or more so than a lot of the caucasion drinkers in the pub. I nearly died of laughter when his brova turned round and said in his crystal clear Nottingham accent "Leave it, Dave, before they call the cops."

Funnily enough, thinking back to it, every time white folk started scrapping, they'd stop when I told them to. The Black and Asian communities didn't start any fights, but it was alays the mixed raced lot with chips on their shoulders. Just from my professional experience.
Old 14 April 2008, 02:32 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

1 in 16 foreigners in this country.

1 in 5 killings are by foreigners.

1 in 3 killings in London are by foreigners.

Maybe this partly explains the perception we have.
Old 14 April 2008, 02:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Just from my professional experience.
Proffesional what?

And how do you tell a mixed race person when you see one?
Old 14 April 2008, 02:46 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Proffesional what?

And how do you tell a mixed race person when you see one?
1. Licencee. Upstanding member of ther community as the judges would put it.

2. The little ******* would always tell me they are (not that it mattered -any bunch of idiots misbehaving had to go, no matter what race).
Old 14 April 2008, 02:50 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Upstanding member of ther community as the judges would put it.
That's always amused me, that one

2. The little ******* would always tell me they are .
Really? :shrug: Thats pretty unusual. Mixed race kids usally get a hard time from bigots on both sides of thier racial divide, so they tend to keep it quiet.
Old 14 April 2008, 02:59 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I wish this lot would keep quiet. But to be honest if they had abided by the same rules as eveyone else in my pub they would have not been ejected.

Anyone, no matter what race, must remove baseball caps, cannot smoke cannabis in the grounds, shout abuse at the staff, argue with the management.

The only reason I wasn't happy with the above named individual was because after he had been refused service, he threw a glass at one of my staff. That ws the reason I barred him. But for some reason, he just saw it as being down to his skin colour, not the potentially dangerous way he was acting.

One of my best mates, who drinks in the same pub, is a Jamaican fella who really does hate the mixed race lot. He always greets them as "boy" so they know he thinks they are just kids. He says that the attitude that they bring is what causes the trouble amongst both sides of the racial divide. He doesn't think that only black should be with black, only white with white etc, he even fancies a lot of the white womem who come in, but he just sees a lack of repect from the younger generation.
Old 14 April 2008, 03:54 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Really? :shrug: Thats pretty unusual. Mixed race kids usally get a hard time from bigots on both sides of thier racial divide, so they tend to keep it quiet.
Really? :shrug: My mixed race Nieces and Nephews all claim to be Black. They claim to have never experienced a hard time from bigots on either side of their racial divide. Their black friends think of them as black as do their white friends. Nobody has ever wanted to be friends with just their white/black halves.
But that is just my, my families and their friends take on it.

Quick Reply: Why Muslims have it right