Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers face tougher litter rules

BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers face tougher litter rules

More cameras then I guess
Old 12 April 2008, 08:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I agree mostly. It boils my blood to see someone toss rubbish from their car, especially when you've followed them weaving around as they unwrap a pack of ciggies, remove one and light it, tossing the cellophane and foil out of the window, followed a few minutes later by the tab end. Eating and drinking isn't allowed whilst driving, and I know I'd rather drop a biscuit in my lap then a lit cigarette If it's an apple core or similar then I don't mind as it will disintegrate and naturally biodegrade, but anything else, fine them £1000
Old 12 April 2008, 08:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'm normally against anything like this but I'll support this one. Hate to see it happening
Old 12 April 2008, 08:23 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I agree mostly. It boils my blood to see someone toss rubbish from their car, especially when you've followed them weaving around as they unwrap a pack of ciggies, remove one and light it, tossing the cellophane and foil out of the window, followed a few minutes later by the tab end. Eating and drinking isn't allowed whilst driving, and I know I'd rather drop a biscuit in my lap then a lit cigarette If it's an apple core or similar then I don't mind as it will disintegrate and naturally biodegrade, but anything else, fine them £1000
well said
Old 12 April 2008, 08:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Good. Seeing people dropping litter makes my blood boil I drove past a layby the other day, some old bloke was sitting his car parked up in said layby, he opened the door, lobbed out some screwed up paper then closed the door. It would've been less bloody effort to just keep it in his car until he could put it in a bin
Old 12 April 2008, 08:40 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

What is the difference between an empty bag of crisps, foil wrapper from a cigarette pack and an apple core

Technically by the driver none of them should be happening whilst driving, and if I were a cyclist behind I would much rather be hit by a small piece of foil than an apple core

Im not against throwing litter out of a car window, the point to that story is that they (the powers that be) want to be able to charge the owner of the vehicle, even if they werent driving it, going down the same way as speed cameras, name the driver or take the fine yourself
Old 12 April 2008, 08:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

By the time 1 or 2 cars have run over an apple core it will be all but gone, it's remnants possibly providing food for wildlife or putting nutrients back into the ground as it is washed completely from existence by the next rain shower. A crisp bag or any other man-made material will be around for a significant amount of time, blown here and there as both litter and pollution. If you were cycling then you'd be more able to dodge the apple core if you put your feckin phone down, removed you bloody ipod buds, used both hands to control your vehicle, made sure you were visible and obeying the Highway Code AND Road Traffic Act, and stopped breathing out so much CO2
Old 12 April 2008, 08:51 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

By the time 1 or 2 cars have run over an apple core it will be all but gone, it's remnants possibly providing food for wildlife or putting nutrients back into the ground as it is washed completely from existence by the next rain shower. A crisp bag or any other man-made material will be around for a significant amount of time, blown here and there as both litter and pollution. If you were cycling then you'd be more able to dodge the apple core if you put your feckin phone down, removed you bloody ipod buds, used both hands to control your vehicle, made sure you were visible and obeying the Highway Code AND Road Traffic Act, and stopped breathing out so much CO2
If you were driving then you should drive with both hands on the wheel and not be throwing apple cores out in the road back
Old 12 April 2008, 08:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I may be a passenger Touché
Old 12 April 2008, 08:58 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Ah.. good, I'm really pleased when I see people getting right behind new laws such as this.

I mean if it was me, and I was driving down the road with a car full of 'friends/collegues/whoever'.. and unbeknown to me (until I recieved a NIP) one of them had thrown some litter out of the window, with nobody now willing to own up/or remember... I'd be really pissed off about getting fined. It takes true unconditional supporters like the above, who wouldn't mind paying these fines for much needed laws like these to get passed.
Old 12 April 2008, 09:00 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I may be a passenger Touché
I did say IF you were driving

I dont cycle, but I do know how much they wind you up and I do agree with you about a lot of cyclists, but also the same can be said about most motorists these days, christ knows who teaches them how to drive
Old 12 April 2008, 09:07 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I did say IF you were driving

I dont cycle, but I do know how much they wind you up and I do agree with you about a lot of cyclists, but also the same can be said about most motorists these days, christ knows who teaches them how to drive
I can answer that one going on what I've seen recently. Its a person who has been deemed fit to teach by another person not fit to say whether or not that person is fit to teach.

Or at least it adds up to the same judging by the standards.
Old 12 April 2008, 09:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with this one. I was parked up in mc donalds the other day and saw some fat bint and her 3 kids casually wind down their windows and chuck their rubbish out out and drive off! there was a bin 3ft away from the car ffs
Old 13 April 2008, 06:19 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I agree with this one. I was parked up in mc donalds the other day and saw some fat bint and her 3 kids casually wind down their windows and chuck their rubbish out out and drive off! there was a bin 3ft away from the car ffs
I've seen that several times at different McDonalds.

They should fine them and force them to spend a day clearing litter from the side of the road.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:08 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I once witnessed a Scooby driver do this at Wakefield Burger King. It was a manky old Classic with vignetted mirror tints and LexARSE lights
Old 13 April 2008, 07:39 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Whilst i agree that throwing rubbish from cars is a no-no,

once again its a, tax the motorist style move,

how long before the nip turns up for an event in a town no where near you?, that you never went to, or were never at.?

you think the bib can be ruthless when going for a prosecution, local councils can make them look like geriatrics!!!!

did you not read about the local council this week, who used anti terror laws, to watch people who applied for a school place. the quote used was on the lines of.

" we will do anything in our powers when we believe there has been a criminal offence"

since when did putting kids in school become a criminal offence?

parents of toddlers, have been prosecuted by these mini dictatorships, for the child dropping single crisps!!!!

i,m off to get my barcode & chip next week, the direct debit is in place.

YOU will comply!!!!

Mart
Old 13 April 2008, 10:54 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like speeding, completely dictated to, there is no allowance for common sense, I am with Corrado here, bang on, using Common sense and thinking of the consequence of your actions, the trouble is so many don't and launch a familie worth of McDonalds junk from their car into a layby rather than carry it with them.

The Apple core will indeed decompose, I have done it, launched one into a hedgerow with no qualms at all, I wouldn't do it whilst other people could be hit, generally though fruit is the only exception, cooked food is not a good idea as it isnt suitable for wildlife, we dont want a Badger Obesity epidemic...

I get so angry when I see stuff tossed from cars, nothing marks those in the car as scum so easily.
Old 13 April 2008, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If litter is thrown out of a car, it has to be seen by someone or a camera to be able to prosecute. I agree absolutely with anti litter laws, our streets are in a disgusting state these day, especially down this way in the holiday season. Fish and chip boxes etc all over the road, and often still with uneaten food in them. Also the habit of emptying cigarette ashtrays outside the car is beyond the pale!

However I think it is wrong that the responsibilty for passengers should not belong to the driver. He may well be completely unaware of the offence at the time and which passenger did it. That is most unfair.

I think the burden of proof should be on the prosecuting authority because it is part of the law that the person actually responsible should be prosecuted. Its the old story of not being blamed for your brother's crimes. The person reporting the offence should be able to say which passenger or whether it was the driver who actually dumped the rubbish.

As was said above, this sounds too much like yet another attack on the car driver.

Les
Old 13 April 2008, 12:13 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

But that's the problem with this proposal.. it's not about getting the person responsible, it about getting, SOMEBODY.. ANYBODY.. it doesn't matter who, and it doesn't matter if there's no evidence.. just so long as they can squeeze a fine out of somebody.

I agree entirely if you are caught red handed.. and there's no argument that YOU did it. However we all know that isn't going to be the case.

I already know a few people people who have been threatened with court action through 'guilt by association' and the laws aren't in place yet... all this will do is give council's carte blanche to ride rough shod over the basic principles of the justice system, and will be pretty much unaccountable for whatever they do.

Oh and you do realise is that all it will take to secure a prosecution (and by association you coughing up a fine) is for some geriatric traffic warden, to think he saw you throw something out of the car (and to have convinced himself that he DID see it).
Old 14 April 2008, 01:21 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
However I think it is wrong that the responsibility for passengers should not belong to the driver.

Les
changing the subject slightly but isn't this the case with seat belts as well?

It is down to the driver to make sure his passengers are all wearing seatbelts.

The driver will get fined as well as the individual not wearing one IIRC.
Old 16 April 2008, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
changing the subject slightly but isn't this the case with seat belts as well?

It is down to the driver to make sure his passengers are all wearing seatbelts.

The driver will get fined as well as the individual not wearing one IIRC.
Not the same sort of thing Wurzel. The driver is responsible for safety matters which are under his control naturally. I must be honest however and say that I am not sure if it is the passenger or the driver who is responsble over the seat belts though. Anyone know?

Les
Old 16 April 2008, 01:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I also think the driver is responsible for seat belts, front and rear. The reason, i believe is because your apssangers could be kids so you have to have responsibility for all passengers.

Totally agree on the rubbish thing. Don't like tabs in your car? Don't spark it up then!!

5t.
Old 16 April 2008, 01:42 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I went to Stansted airport the other day and parked in the short stay car park. I pulled up at the barrier and there were cameras pointing at the front of the car. I pressed the button to receive my ticket and when it appeared to my surprise it had my registration number printed on the ticket.

If it's possible to do this for a car park ticket then why can't this be done at the McDonalds drive thru, print a McSticker and stick one on every item you order (where feasible).

Then when it is thrown out of a window 5 miles down the road its possible to prove which vehicle it came from.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:55 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Milamber
I went to Stansted airport the other day and parked in the short stay car park. I pulled up at the barrier and there were cameras pointing at the front of the car. I pressed the button to receive my ticket and when it appeared to my surprise it had my registration number printed on the ticket.

If it's possible to do this for a car park ticket then why can't this be done at the McDonalds drive thru, print a McSticker and stick one on every item you order (where feasible).

Then when it is thrown out of a window 5 miles down the road its possible to prove which vehicle it came from.
A sound plan in principle but it would mean more work for the already overworked oiks in MDs and for MDs to install new gadgets to do it.
Old 16 April 2008, 05:00 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus you'd have to pay peeps to go and track down and collect the specially marked litter or make the current sweepers mark down or swipe all rubbish with special stickers or barcodes on them. Bit too much cost involved but I kinda like the plan
Old 16 April 2008, 05:12 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Camera for Litter - Yes
Cameras for Private plates - Maybe
Cameras for Speeding - No
CCTV in city centres - No

Does that sum up Scoobynet attitude to cameras?
Old 16 April 2008, 05:20 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I live beside a fairly busy road with lots of commercial vehicles passing on their way to the industrial estate 100 yds past my house.
Every day I come home from work to find *** packets, drinks bottles, delivery notes , crisp packets etc on my driveway and on the pavement.
Needless to say i'm all for this, if it makes people think twice about tossing their crap out of the window then it's a good thing.
Old 16 April 2008, 07:40 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where I stand on this one. Not because I believe dropping litter is acceptable, but for some of the valid points raised in this thread. Particularly as I think it will just become a money making scheme, with no care for the culprit, as long as money is made. A drivers responsibility is on driving, not keeping an eye on passengers in case they chuck litter out the window. If the driver is the culprit, then it's a different story. I don't agree with littering, but I'm inclined to say I believe there are more important issues need addressing, but I guess it will be easy money.

Les, as for the seatbelt thing, I believe that the driver is responsible for ensuring anyone in the vehicle wears a seatbelt under the age of 14 (or suitable restraint). There is different restraints depending upon age and height, but basically once a passenger reaches 14 years of age, it becomes their own responsibility, and not the drivers, they then are only accountable for wearing their own, so far as I'm aware.
Old 17 April 2008, 12:07 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

About time .. . and I'd crush their car too!

Quick Reply: Drivers face tougher litter rules