Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a speeding ticket whilst abroad before? Netherlands!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2008, 12:20 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had a speeding ticket whilst abroad before? Netherlands!!

I was across in Amsterdam a few weeks ago and today i have just received a speeding fine and from what i can gather as its all in dutch, the fine is for 114 Euros (About £95 at todays ER)

Supposedly i was caught doing 109km/h on an 80km/h stretch of motorway. I probably was as i assumed the speed limits for dutch motorways were 120km/h

Anyway, i was across there with work and in a hire car paid for by work, they have obviously traced me through the address on my driving license.

I have no idea if this is genuine or not, i could be paying a scam. Its all in dutch and no translation.

From what i can gather, if i do not pay 1st warning of 114euros, 2nd warning is 142euros and 3rd and final warning is 213euros.

So then, should i pay it? Are dutch police going to come across to the UK and arrest me Can they enforce UK debt collection agencies and all the bollocks that come with that, CCJ', Blacklist my UK address etc etc

So has anyone else had a foreign speeding ticket and did you pay it? If not were you ever chased for it?

Cheers

Last edited by Mitchy260; 12 April 2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12 April 2008, 12:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Tell them to stick it.
Old 12 April 2008, 01:53 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you have no plans to go back to daffodil country in the near future, just ignore, but if you do have plans, then maybe well worth paying. There are no points attributable to your licence.

Andy
Old 12 April 2008, 02:07 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

all i would say is they are a bit like the brits and a bit keen on the revenue they raise and as we have extradition treatys and the like with them i would advise you to pay cos if you go back there in ten years or so you may well find yourself facing a very substansial fine it having accrued in your absence as it would here. you could also contact the dutch embassy to check if it is legitamate..
Old 12 April 2008, 02:12 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

just pretend you never got it? how do they know you received it

If they cant speak the queens english maybe the postman couldnt and the letter never got to you
Old 12 April 2008, 02:21 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

as above....did it come recorded or other "signed for" delivery?

if it came normal post, you never received it did you?
Old 12 April 2008, 03:02 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

its not enforcable, I got one when I was in denmark several years ago now, got several serious looking letters sent here. I just filed them all and ignored them. nothing ever came of them, plus ive been back to DK since.

HTH

James
Old 12 April 2008, 06:02 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

You could ignore it, but dont expect to be able to use that hire company again throughout europe. The chances are they will have to pay the fine themselves and because you broke the T&Cs of the rental agreement which state you are responsible for parking/speeding fines, may well ban you. Another thing to watch out for, keep an eye on the credit/debit card used to pay for the rental car because you may well find the fine charged to it if you dont pay.

I have been flashed by speed cameras in france, but in my own car and got nothing through the post.
Old 12 April 2008, 10:03 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I got done in Sweden, that was about 95 quid, buggers! He had a gun... as in bang bang gun so I paid up there and then!
Old 12 April 2008, 10:22 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Been flashed by cameras in France a few times over the years, never heard anything, but got busted by the Gendarmes with a laser jobbie, cost me €90 on the spot. I had my mum and dad in the back of my scooby at the time. Typical, the only time I've been busted (so far, touch wood) I have my parents as passengers! My old man was quite impressed, in an odd sort of way

Unfortunately other EU nations are getting tougher on enforcement of fines handed out to other EU citizens, so as much as it's a pain, it may be better in the long run to pay it.

I now always carry some spare "Gendarme tokens" in my wallet just in case. As we aren't part of EU, they can be a bit funny when they stop us. A guy from work was in a group of motorcyclists that got busted for speeding, one of them didn't have enough cash to pay his fine, so they locked him up and confiscated his bike until the fine was paid. Then they took away his driving license, and posted it to him. No license meant he had to pillion back home, and his bike had to be taken back by transporter. Cost him ££££££££££. They were spanking it though
Old 13 April 2008, 08:15 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As 'mannyo' suggests - Finally they will charge the hire car company and the hire car company will charge the credit card you gave to them (check the T&Cs). Why not save the aggro and additional costs by just paying the bloody thing?

All speed limits in Holland are clearly sign-posted, though some are set ridiculously low (80 on motorways around towns) in order to 'save the planet'. I drive on such roads at the limit in second gear just to do my bit!
Old 13 April 2008, 02:26 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Strange no-one has mentioned contesting it.
Old 14 April 2008, 07:25 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You've done the crime, now pay the fine
Old 14 April 2008, 07:37 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
You've done the crime, now pay the fine
Is it a genuine fine or a dutch scam, how am i supposed to know? No recorded or signed for delivery, all correspondence in dutch, i shall be pleading ignorance. I'd rather keep the £95 hard earned
Old 14 April 2008, 03:50 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

if its genuine and not a scam, the car hire company will eventually charge your credit card with the £95 and ban you from using them again, so you will end up paying anyway.
Old 14 April 2008, 08:58 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Is it a genuine fine or a dutch scam, how am i supposed to know? No recorded or signed for delivery, all correspondence in dutch, i shall be pleading ignorance. I'd rather keep the £95 hard earned
Is it from the " CJIB" in Leeuwarden? I've had a few letters from them over the years. None as painful as yours though .

When the hire car company debits your card + a 50 quid fee for their admin please be sure to come back and tell us about it!
Old 15 April 2008, 01:30 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Tell you card company now you think your card details have been stolen and ask for a card number to be issued.
Old 15 April 2008, 03:09 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

If you go back to the netherlands and have your passport swiped you will be busted on the spot for any outstanding fine and extras for non payment. The dutch are even worse than the english for speeding offenses. A work colleague of mine had this in a similar situation, though with his own car.
Old 15 April 2008, 08:09 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
if its genuine and not a scam, the car hire company will eventually charge your credit card with the £95 and ban you from using them again, so you will end up paying anyway.
I've been done a number of times over the past few years and NEVER had my credit card charged by the hire company for a speeding fine that has come in. Always ignored them, and never had any future problems - this includes Sweden, Germany, Austria and Holland. Spread out over a fair few years mind, but still relevant. Last one was in 2007 in Germany and never heard any more.

Not sure where this idea that they can charge the hire car company as never heard of it before. Certainly never happened to me but plenty of opportunities as all of these were in hire cars. Likewise I've never been banned and never heard of anyone else incurring a fine, not paying it and then being banned, and I know plenty of people who have been flashed while abroad...
Old 15 April 2008, 08:47 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

No credit/debit card details were ever presented to the hire car company. I was across there with work and it will have been charged to my company. It may perhaps be billed back to the company for which i will plead blind ignorance to of course.

As to passport control issues, i very much doubt the dutch police force awaiting my arrival the next time i get on a plane to Amsterdam.

Additional to that, i was actually driving like a fairy godmother, 109km/h on a motorway is not fast. I was not aware of any 80km/h signs otherwise i would have slowed down.

Anyway, i never received the fine, no recorded or signed delivery. Wrong postcode