Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phones 4U - Is this unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2008, 07:35 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Phones 4U - Is this unreasonable?

Got my phone upgraded today from Phones 4U and part of the deal was that I get an Xbox 360 in with the new phone.

Salesman sorts me a phone out then says he'll pop down to GAME to get me a 360.

I notice on the way back to the car that the box is a bit battered and its a Core System (not too fussed by that as I already have an Elite and this machine was to keep me occupied upstairs while the wife watches Corrie, etc)

I check the box when I get to work - and its a Pre-owned console!

So, do you think its unreasonable for me to demand a brand new console? Surely if someone offers a free gift they can't fob you off with 2nd hand goods.

There is also no receipt or anything with the console so I'm guessing if anything happens to it I'm screwed...
Old 09 April 2008, 07:41 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

I'd take it back for defo, demand a new one or take your money else where, plenty more deals out there.
Old 09 April 2008, 07:49 PM
Jeff Stryker
BANNED

I'd take it back too mate. Have you checked its not also banned ? A lot of pre-owneds are.
Old 09 April 2008, 08:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I guess there is nowhere saying its "new", but thats still cheeky as hell.
Prob got a deal going on where they are skimming the new ones or the extra money for them.
Old 09 April 2008, 08:41 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

take it back and threaten to cancel the agreement
Old 09 April 2008, 08:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I found this on the Phones4U website:

Free Xbox 360

FREE X-Box 360 Arcade System
Your brand new X-Box 360 Arcade System consists of an X-Box 360, Wireless Controller, 256MB Memory Unit, 5 Arcade Games and HDMI. This will be authorized for dispatch 28 days after delivery of your handset, and please allow up to 7 days for delivery of this item

That would indicate to me it should be a brand new xbox360, and I'd like to think this condition would be the same for in-store as well
Old 09 April 2008, 08:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Aaaah yes, now you word it like that.......

Get down there and lob it at them!
Old 09 April 2008, 10:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I thought all goods that were sold were assumed to be new unless clearly stated. How often do you ask people to confirm in writing that the stuff you are getting is actually new!?

Take it back, kick up a fuss. Hopefully he won't say you are trying it on, claiming that the unit you are returing is not the one he gave you!
Old 09 April 2008, 10:39 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

id take it back and ask them if they are taking the **** . second hand console , wtf . id be fuming
Old 10 April 2008, 09:05 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Cheers boys - its definately going back and will be threatening to cancel the agreement as I'm obviously still in the 14 day cooling off period.

Markus - good find with the statement on their website, will print that off and take it with me.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:40 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

be aware, i work for orange and with upgrades we don't offer a 14 day money back garentuee with upgrades (bit **** but i don't make the rules) makesure there is nothing that you have signed saying no 14 day return. maybe the salesman got given cash for a brand new one and bought a second hand one and pocketed the rest. we at our orange training get told how the phones 4 u staff get trained and what they get told to do. its not illegal the way they make deals but they are very cheeky. my advice is go direct to the company as they wil do a better deal, and if not they should price match either over the phone or instore.
Old 10 April 2008, 12:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'm actually with Orange - for the same deal the Orange store wanted £100 - £50 for the phone upgrade & £50 for the 360.

I have the printoff from their website now with the blurb that Markus posted so I hope that'll be enough.
Old 10 April 2008, 12:09 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

As stated previously:

FREE X-Box 360 Arcade System
Your brand new X-Box 360 Arcade System consists of an X-Box 360, Wireless Controller, 256MB Memory Unit, 5 Arcade Games and HDMI.

Did you even get a wireless controller and memory unit from phones 4u as i didnt think they were standard with the core system or are they?
Old 10 April 2008, 12:18 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i think if you phoned up orange and said that phones 4 u had offered it they would have bent the rules, in store they cannot change things but over the phone they ca. if all elese fails phone up, and then threaten to leave. that should scare them into giving you a good deal
Old 10 April 2008, 01:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Cheers boys - its definately going back and will be threatening to cancel the agreement as I'm obviously still in the 14 day cooling off period.

Markus - good find with the statement on their website, will print that off and take it with me.
No problem, if you want to print off the actual website page. Here's the page that I saw the offer on:

samsung j700 contract mobile phone from phones 4u (Samsung J700 - was the first one I picked, if you can find the phone you upgraded to listed with the offer I'd use that one, to save the droid at the shop trying to squirm out of things by saying your phone and the ad you have printed are different, blah, blah, blah.)

You'll see the "FREE X Box 360" text under the special offer bit, clicking it gives this page:

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/networks/n...fferKey=181748

Print 'em out and go droid slapping
Old 10 April 2008, 02:36 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Mission accomplished.

Despite the salesman arguing the toss that all he promised me was "to get you a 360", I had the printoff that Markus linked to and said that that was the offer I had asked for and that he hadn't given me it. The printoff actually shows the pic of a core system, but the description actually states "Arcade" etc..

he also claimed the Core wasn't preowned, despite me saying that a) the box was battered, b) The Core doesnt exisit anymore c) the console was in the packaging the wrong way up (as I looked under the flap to see if it was one of the falcon units & d) the console was in the wrong packaging even inside the box.

then came the "the manager will say I'm right" speech so I told him to go and get him - a minute later he came back, picked up the 360 and walked me down to GAME where he got it swapped - the guy in GAME even said "the pre-owned one you got yesterday?". Phones 4U guy had to then go back to the store to get more money as he hadn't brought enough to swap the 2 machines.

I even asked for the points on my reward card but Phones 4U guy had already got them!!

All's well that ends well.

Old 10 April 2008, 02:49 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Mission accomplished.

Despite the salesman arguing the toss that all he promised me was "to get you a 360", I had the printoff that Markus linked to and said that that was the offer I had asked for and that he hadn't given me it. The printoff actually shows the pic of a core system, but the description actually states "Arcade" etc..

he also claimed the Core wasn't preowned, despite me saying that a) the box was battered, b) The Core doesnt exisit anymore c) the console was in the packaging the wrong way up (as I looked under the flap to see if it was one of the falcon units & d) the console was in the wrong packaging even inside the box.

then came the "the manager will say I'm right" speech so I told him to go and get him - a minute later he came back, picked up the 360 and walked me down to GAME where he got it swapped - the guy in GAME even said "the pre-owned one you got yesterday?". Phones 4U guy had to then go back to the store to get more money as he hadn't brought enough to swap the 2 machines.

I even asked for the points on my reward card but Phones 4U guy had already got them!!

All's well that ends well.

Excellent result!!!

Man, what a tosser the Phone4U guy was.

Bloody salesmen
Old 10 April 2008, 02:56 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

hehe - I really hope that extra £50 came out of his own pocket...
Old 10 April 2008, 03:08 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

more importantly, get to the shop and buy call of duty 4, and pre order grand theft auto 4
Old 10 April 2008, 03:24 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

already have mate - I've got an Elite sitting at home anyway!!

Gutted about the rewards points mind
Old 10 April 2008, 03:42 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one who finds it really odd that they go to Game and buy a console in cash?

Not really my idea of a corporate or a company I would want to have a contract with.

Steve
Old 10 April 2008, 03:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
be aware, i work for orange and with upgrades we don't offer a 14 day money back garentuee with upgrades (bit **** but i don't make the rules) makesure there is nothing that you have signed saying no 14 day return. maybe the salesman got given cash for a brand new one and bought a second hand one and pocketed the rest. we at our orange training get told how the phones 4 u staff get trained and what they get told to do. its not illegal the way they make deals but they are very cheeky. my advice is go direct to the company as they wil do a better deal, and if not they should price match either over the phone or instore.

thats very interesting indeed.

its not the companies that state that you have 14 days to return, its the sale of gods act.

so if they refuse then there breaking the law
Old 10 April 2008, 04:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

the guy in phones 4u actually said that upgrades weren't included in that 14 day return - which is something he failed to mention yesterday when I got the phone / console in the first place as I would have probably said no thanks if that had been pointed out.

The offer in their website says that the console will be shipped out 28 days later, the shop are using the "console today" offer as way of making sign up there and then.

He also said he'd take the Orange interface off the phone which he didn't do - think I might be pushing my luck going back to get that done though!
Old 10 April 2008, 04:01 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

no i think the law is they have to return it or refund it if its faulty, which they do, but you can't just bring it back for no reason. or something.. i don't know i only work here imbetween college . quitting soon when i go to uni
Old 10 April 2008, 04:04 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

the guy in phones 4u actually said that upgrades weren't included in that 14 day return - which is something he failed to mention yesterday when I got the phone / console in the first place as I would have probably said no thanks if that had been pointed out.

The offer in their website says that the console will be shipped out 28 days later, the shop are using the "console today" offer as way of making sign up there and then.

He also said he'd take the Orange interface off the phone which he didn't do - think I might be pushing my luck going back to get that done though!
you have to get the phone completely re flashed for that. places usually charge about £20 for doing it. i highly doubt phones 4 u have equipment there to remove it. im sure if you have a data cable you will be able to download some software for it to get rid of all the orange ****e
Old 10 April 2008, 04:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All's well that ends well then!

i had a run in with Phones 4 U once. I bought a new phone and it was crap, so I returned it under the 14 day blah blah blah. The salesman wanted me to sell it on ebay, keep the contract and then buy a new contract!!! Checky fu*k! Told him to sod off and refund my money.
Old 10 April 2008, 04:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thought it was for if you signa contract? aka so you don't get pressured into it, you have a right to return the contract?
Old 10 April 2008, 04:24 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
you have to get the phone completely re flashed for that. places usually charge about £20 for doing it. i highly doubt phones 4 u have equipment there to remove it. im sure if you have a data cable you will be able to download some software for it to get rid of all the orange ****e
The phone would still be locked to Orange but it would have the original Sony interface on it.
Old 10 April 2008, 04:50 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Am I the only one who finds it really odd that they go to Game and buy a console in cash?

Not really my idea of a corporate or a company I would want to have a contract with.

Steve

Me too.

And if its the case; and your an employee with cash in hand, would you pocket a few quid and get the pre-owned unit instead?
Old 10 April 2008, 05:04 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Me too.

And if its the case; and your an employee with cash in hand, would you pocket a few quid and get the pre-owned unit instead?
Might well have been what matey-boy tried yesterday... he certainly used his own rewards card.