Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Companies House - any one been fined £1000?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2008, 12:37 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Companies House - any one been fined £1000?

So this bunch have just sent me an invoice for £1000 for an alleged failure to send them company accounts, and get this, in 2 0 0 3!!!

Its not even a proper company that trades, has a bank account or anything - it just holds 3 shares wiorth £1 in a freehold. But of course I now have an invoice!!!

It's probably a **** up their end and may be sorted quickly (lets face it I cant remember if it was or wasnt sent with the annual return back in 2003).

Short of death or a fire they seem to never retract these fines, or deem themselves capable of making a mistake, so lets hope it isnt time for getting out the popcorn as they will have trouble getting a grand out of a company with £3 in assets!

Anyone had a fight with them?

D
Old 08 April 2008, 08:48 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I had a dormant company for several years after ceasing trading. It was a pain in the neck filling in returns for zero turnover, in the end I had it delisted, this took about 6 months to complete.
Old 08 April 2008, 09:09 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I once got a tax bill of £18,000 for my dormant company that had never traded. I had it delisted too as there was no way I was going through that rigmarole again.
Old 08 April 2008, 10:21 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I once got a tax bill of £18,000 for my dormant company that had never traded. I had it delisted too as there was no way I was going through that rigmarole again.
Tax bill rather than penalty, so I suppose you didnt have to pay that one

Anyone know any websites to assist with this kind of query - kinda like a Pepipoo & Co Ltd

D
Old 08 April 2008, 11:46 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Anyone know any websites to assist with this kind of query - kinda like a Pepipoo & Co Ltd

D
Try www.stitcheduplikeakipper.com always a good place to start.
Old 08 April 2008, 12:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Try www.stitcheduplikeakipper.com always a good place to start.
LOL!

That only links to hammocks, Oreck vacuum cleaners and door knockers!!!

I have a feeling I need a crossbow, a tent, a ladder and a megaphone for what is about to follow. They may take a grand off me but only out of my cold dead (crossbow weilding) hands

D
Old 08 April 2008, 12:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Lots of good advice available here UK Business Forums - business help and advice for owners, managers and entrepreneurs of small businesses and startups
Old 08 April 2008, 12:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thanks for the link. D
Old 08 April 2008, 01:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a company that didn't trade. I failed to file accounts so I got fined £100. I paid. I then got fined again as I forgot to de-list it. I de-listed it & got £100 back. I then desolved it and got the second £100 back. Only problem was that I couldn't cash the cheque because the company didn't exist any longer & they can only issue refunds against the company that was fined
Old 08 April 2008, 01:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

You are pretty much screwed if they haven't made a mistake, and you have committed a criminal offence by not filing a return.
Old 08 April 2008, 01:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
You are pretty much screwed if they haven't made a mistake, and you have committed a criminal offence by not filing a return.
Surprisingly I dont really feel much like a gangsta or a crim! However, if it is an offence any ideas why it has come to light so late in the day?

Dangerous D
Old 08 April 2008, 01:59 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Surprisingly I dont really feel much like a gangsta or a crim! However, if it is an offence any ideas why it has come to light so late in the day?

Dangerous D
Because thats about how far behind they are with their paperwork, same as HMRC they recently contacted us because we had not paid our 2003 PAYE it turned out it was a mistake and they had entered the amount we had owed twice instead of once in to there computer!

and I though I was behind with my paperwork!!!
Old 08 April 2008, 02:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

There are similar scams around, as anyone can find the name and address details of registered companies. Don't agree to pay the fine by Western Union to the Nigerian branch of Companies House
Old 08 April 2008, 03:56 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Because thats about how far behind they are with their paperwork, same as HMRC they recently contacted us because we had not paid our 2003 PAYE it turned out it was a mistake and they had entered the amount we had owed twice instead of once in to there computer!

and I though I was behind with my paperwork!!!

currently dealing with this myself, made a mistake a while back and got confused, then received a bill for 3k
Old 08 April 2008, 04:03 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

HMRC are now on performance related bonuses, so they will hound the little fella until he bleeds the money.

It cost HMRC more to chase the big earners as they will employ accountants to tie up the revenue, so the HMRC dont often chase the big fish.
Old 08 April 2008, 04:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
currently dealing with this myself, made a mistake a while back and got confused, then received a bill for 3k
That's terrible. They think its all easy as if you were a plc with FD's and CEO's etc Genuine mistakes can be made (yes even by them as the FOI act proves)...

D
Old 08 April 2008, 11:36 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Ring them up - tell them you don't need the company and they'll send you the form to kill it.
Old 09 April 2008, 09:47 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby
Ring them up - tell them you don't need the company and they'll send you the form to kill it.
and the fine...?
Old 17 April 2008, 07:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Outcome is I need to get rid of the company, as although the human I spoke to understood the situation, 'computer says no'. Technically the penalty seems correct, I have no way of checking at this late stage and the computer has now issued it. No going back.

What a palaver for a company worth £30. I'll have to start a new one off and transfer everything to that. They cant chase a non existent company then for a grand...

Rules are rules, and these rules ARE there for a good reason, but I so wish some common sense could come into the mix$$ now and again as this company has never traded.

D
Old 09 May 2008, 11:25 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Closure: they let me off following a letter giving them an 'escape clause' within their strict 'let off' paramaters. Very creative, but had to play the game. I'm allright Jack...

Really good to see actually and a sign of fair play and common sense over money grabbing; were it a PLC screwing someone over, fair enough, but it was a minion with no assets.

D
Old 09 May 2008, 11:40 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Closure: they let me off following a letter giving them an 'escape clause' within their strict 'let off' paramaters. Very creative, but had to play the game. I'm allright Jack...
Any links to this? I'm about to shut 1 of mine down. Any info would be helpfull.

Cheers.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:46 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

What a palaver for a company worth £30. I'll have to start a new one off and transfer everything to that. They cant chase a non existent company then for a grand...
The directors are liable, not the company.
Old 10 May 2008, 12:38 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

The directors are liable, not the company.
I dont think so - its a limited liability company (like most). They can chase company assets not private.

D
Old 10 May 2008, 12:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Any links to this? I'm about to shut 1 of mine down. Any info would be helpfull.

Cheers.
Thay have a section on penaltys on their site and list the only reasons they can let you off. Key to this is if they have contributed to any failure to file issues - such as forgetting to send you a reminder etc. Give them room to manouver...

D
Old 11 May 2008, 10:32 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I dont think so - its a limited liability company (like most). They can chase company assets not private.

D
No, it's a criminal offence not to complete a return - the directors and company secretary are liable.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:58 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

No, it's a criminal offence not to complete a return - the directors and company secretary are liable.
Yes - liable to prosecution for not returning annual accounts. They are not liable for the company debts/fines on a personal level though. D