Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay wanna sue my ass!

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 04:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay wanna sue my ***!

Who remembers Ebay scammers, the website set up in memory of the scamming biatch Hightee?

Well Ebay Legal have caught wind of the domain name and are threatening legal action against me if I continue to use the site, and dont allow the domain to expire.

Old 07 April 2008, 04:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If you n longer wish to keep it - offer to sell it to them, advise them you have had other interest in the name.

If you wish to keep it speak to watchdog about eBay bullying you just because you exposed a scammer and did the right thing - how eBay wish to silence any disinters, etc, etc,

Good on you for doing it anyhow, love the higee and the biatch getting her come-uppence
Old 07 April 2008, 04:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would advise eBay legal that their evident eagerness to have the site closed down implies that they have something to gain by people being ripped off by using eBay and that surely they ought to endorse the site to show their willing to combat internet fraud. Indeed, a small fiscal donation to the continued running of the site and perhaps some words of endorsement would show their commitment to tackling internet fraud.

Alternatively, just tell them to fvck off.
Old 07 April 2008, 04:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Well, ebay are on the ball, how many months ago was it?
Old 07 April 2008, 04:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
If you n longer wish to keep it - offer to sell it to them, advise them you have had other interest in the name.

If you wish to keep it speak to watchdog about eBay bullying you just because you exposed a scammer and did the right thing - how eBay wish to silence any disinters, etc, etc,

Good on you for doing it anyhow, love the higee and the biatch getting her come-uppence
I have gone down the middle on that one.
Stating I have no further use for it. HOWEVER...

Bought it legally, and was supplied it by a legal registrar, Nominet posted no objection to it, and if I am expected to leave a domain dead because it IS illegal, who is going to reimburse me for it.

I have also pointed out that I was only doing what Ebay have failed to do..... Protect their genuine users, and weed out the scammers.
Old 07 April 2008, 04:38 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

What was the webiste again..?
Old 07 April 2008, 04:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Andy, clearly as interested in this as they are in catching scammers.

SJ, the latter mate, the reply is very to the point, and I have also forwarded it to the company the domain was registered from. I look forward to their reply.
Old 07 April 2008, 04:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
What was the webiste again..?
This is the live one.
The Scam Busters

It has been spammed to crap now though lol
Old 07 April 2008, 04:45 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

however THIS is the one they have issues with lol
Welcome to Ebay Scammers
Old 07 April 2008, 05:14 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd take this to the press; you are trying to provide a public service to inform people of regulars scams/scammers on ebay and the company - who should take this VERY seriously - are trying to stop you!
Old 07 April 2008, 05:26 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

If PSLewis can defeat DSGI, then you can take on ebay.

D
Old 07 April 2008, 05:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Hehe could be funny eh
Lets see what they have to say in response to my reply.
In the meantime the domain has been made even MORE live by redirecting it to the main site, and I will duplicate their threatening email on the front page of it
Old 07 April 2008, 05:37 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

If you were going to let it slide then this would prompt you to open it up again.

You've got a good one there. I'd clear the spam off and see if you can't maintain it properly and sell some ad space. could actually be worth a bit (like Scoobynet!)

5t.
Old 07 April 2008, 05:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The spam is being cleared as we speak.

This has prompted me to use my free time on the thing, even if it just irritates Ebay lol.
Old 07 April 2008, 06:15 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

what was this all about again
Old 07 April 2008, 06:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

So lets get this straight now...

We are writing concerning your registration of ebay-scammers.com which contains the famous eBay trademark. As you undoubtedly know, eBay is the leading provider of online person-to-person trading services and related goods and services. eBay adopted the name and trademark eBay in September 1995 and, since that time, eBay has actively used the eBay name and trademark in connection with its online trading and related services, including maintaining the web site eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. The coined term eBay is one of the most famous trademarks on the Internet. eBay owns exclusive trademark rights to the eBay name in the United States and internationally, including related common law rights. Accordingly, eBay enjoys broad trademark rights in its name.
Enjoys, indeed, at the expense of others misery

eBay has made a substantial investment in developing and providing its services. As a result of eBay抯 pioneering efforts and its devoting substantial effort and resources to providing only high quality services, the eBay name and trademarks are widely known among the consuming public worldwide, and the name and trademarks embody substantial and valuable goodwill.
Investment of the money you, the silenced public gave us in good faith, however we failed to protect you, but hey, its our money now.

Accordingly, we were concerned when we learned of your registration of the ebay-scammers.com. As we hope you can understand, protection of its trademarks is very important to eBay. We have filed several successful federal court actions in the United States against companies and individuals employing the famous eBay trademark in their domain names, as well as more than six proceedings before the United Nation's World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel. eBay prevailed in each case and the domain names at issue were all ordered to be transferred to eBay.
Protection of a trademark, and the silencing of people who wish to speak the truth about eBay's attitude to its paying users.
We are in the UK here not the mighty USA, and the domain was bought legitimatly..... so what wrong has been done. Stealing peoples domains, well thats different to stealing peoples money eh.

In addition to the above, the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("USPTO") has recently denied registration of the mark "ebaysecurities" by a third party. Like your domain name, "ebaysecurities" incorporated the entire eBay trademark, adding only a generic term to eBay's famous mark. The USPTO recognized that eBay is a famous trademark and denied registration of ebaysecurities. eBay is concerned that any use of the domain name in question, will cause confusion as to whether you or your company抯 activities are authorized, endorsed or sponsored by eBay when, in fact, they are not.
Denying registration and trying to retract registration are 2 totally different things. If you feel ALL domains including the word "ebay" belong to you, buy them or have Nominet retract them. The Scam Busters is for sale, make me an offer. Please send the money to my uncle in Nigeria, I believe you know him

We understand that you may have registered ebay-scammers.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. The Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 per domain name) against persons who, without authorization, use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes another抯 trademark.
Ooooh im scared, one HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars.....

While eBay respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, eBay must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable and famous trademark. For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, eBay must insist that you not use the domain name for any purpose, do not sell, offer to sell or transfer the domain name to a third party, and instead simply let the domain registration expire.
Duh, its not a business, take a frickin look!
Dont renew it, oh of course, if thats what you want oh mighty eBay !
NOT!

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you. Sincerely, EditheBay Legal Department[/QUOTE]

Oh no, not the "legal" word
Old 07 April 2008, 06:26 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Shows how "on the ball" they are - it's not even in their own country.

UK law here, not "Team America" - all the best to you - hope you get to keep it, or at least get some money out of it. Fed up with the amount of "yankee" style laws and leglislation Mr Brown et al keep implementing over here!
Old 07 April 2008, 06:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Shows how "on the ball" they are - it's not even in their own country.

UK law here, not "Team America" - all the best to you - hope you get to keep it, or at least get some money out of it. Fed up with the amount of "yankee" style laws and leglislation Mr Brown et al keep implementing over here!
Indeed mate, all they have to do is check any of the registration sites to see its owned in the UK, by an individual not an organisation.

Cant wait for their response to this

At the end of the day I have suggested I might play ball, but want answers and want to know who is paying for the domains and the work on the site.
They will prob pay me via paypal, skim it, then reverse the payment.

Scamming ***** !
Old 07 April 2008, 06:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

After sending you something like that, you should take them for what you can get. The media would be interested in this I would have thought. Nothing like a large corporation who is trying to bully a whistle blower.
Old 07 April 2008, 06:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
After sending you something like that, you should take them for what you can get. The media would be interested in this I would have thought. Nothing like a large corporation who is trying to bully a whistle blower.
Its a matter of who to turn to etc I would not have a clue. But I DO have time..... Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime is on my side.... yes it is!!
Old 07 April 2008, 07:01 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

bullies thats what they are trying to be, good luck if they think US law will make you give over a UK registered domain, BT had better watch out they are using the letter B, ebay will be after them.
Which brings me to another though, if you registered other words and merged them into a business like ebay could you try and make people revoke them also, if they registered Coobyne could they tell Scooby net to stop using the name as it has the word contained within their domain which is copyrighted?

Go on Snaz give it too them

PS - if it all goes **** up i never said anything and we can do a scoobynet visit to you on death row
Old 07 April 2008, 07:03 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

What exactly does your website promote or do?
surely you are only infringing copyright if you try to impersonate the site, using confusing similar colour schemes and layout etc
Old 07 April 2008, 07:03 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I wonder if other online auction sites would be interested in the story or domain as a PR tool? Tazbar for instance...
Old 07 April 2008, 07:23 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Wasn't there a case with an ISP possibly tiscali or ntl where someone registered *****sucks. Think they won it as well as it was a public information site. I seem to remember that eventually they bought the domain name for a sum and then ran the site to try an change peoples opinions.
Old 07 April 2008, 07:37 PM
topbuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phoenixgold
Wasn't there a case with an ISP possibly tiscali or ntl where someone registered *****sucks. Think they won it as well as it was a public information site. I seem to remember that eventually they bought the domain name for a sum and then ran the site to try an change peoples opinions.
I think it was NTLhell that ended up being brought by ntl and run for a while.
Old 07 April 2008, 07:46 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

It looks like a standard letter, almost as though eBay are scanning all new registrations and picked up yours. They are concered that using the name ebay in the domain will cause people to confuse thier genuine website for this one.
Old 07 April 2008, 08:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Think I would be contacting the likes of News of the World or the Sun, and as mentioned watchdog.
Had a quick look at your web site - really cant see why Ebay want to close you down, surely it would do more good to ebay if they actually read it and tighten up on their procedures / methods to ensure it does not happen any more.

Richard
Old 07 April 2008, 08:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
It looks like a standard letter, almost as though eBay are scanning all new registrations and picked up yours. They are concered that using the name ebay in the domain will cause people to confuse thier genuine website for this one.
I agree, its just random copy/paste. Possibly even automated.

"eBay" is trade marked name. So they reserve the right to use it (within reason).

Try setting up a fast food/burger bar and call it "Mc" something. Then see how long it takes for Mc Donalds to try and fry your ****.

Couple of other cases include "Mike Rowe Soft" (for obvious reasons) and not to forget something more closer to home: "Scooby Mag" (Scooby is registered to Warner Brothers).

"Scoobynet" gets away with it as its all one word. Which shows how much of a farce it all is.

Last edited by Shark Man; 07 April 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07 April 2008, 09:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

snazy, you better be careful, you could be extradited to the good old U S of A for just about anything, bye bye snazy
Old 07 April 2008, 10:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I hear Guantanmo Bay is nice this time of year

Quick Reply: Ebay wanna sue my ass!