Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Work place assessments, anyone know about them?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 01:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work place assessments, anyone know about them?

Right, cut a long story short, my employer is meant to be arranging a work place assessment, to get any recommendations for changes to aid my return to work. Ergonomic assessment etc.

Due to my back and arm problems, they have been told to do so by a number of medical representatives.

So, the question is, does anyone know what they do in such an assessment, would they have to see your at your work station? Would this need to be carried out by a person with some medical understanding in order to be able to compensate for your conditions ?
Old 07 April 2008, 01:15 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest Snazy, why are you on long term sick?

Tell me to mind my nose if i'm being nosey.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snazy,

I'm required to do one every year, absolute waste of time IMHO. The self-cert form is an online multiple-guess questionnaire which looks at how you sit , what equipment you use, etc etc. Takes about 90 minutes - or 15 with my crib sheet

The daft thing is, we hot-desk so if you change location you are supposed to carry out a whole new one. **** that!
Old 07 April 2008, 03:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

SJ, thats the sort of thing I was offered while still at work, pointless. But the doctors have requested a proper ergonomic assessment is done. This is where im at a loss as to WHO does these and HOW.

Mamoon. Problems with my neck and back in short. Would not tell ya to mind your own No point me asking on a forum for help and then being a secret squirrel about the cause lol
Old 07 April 2008, 04:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snazy,

I guess it's a H&S issue so it probably falls under the remit of HR? Make the buggers do some work for a change
Old 07 April 2008, 04:33 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Snazy,

You need one of these
Built in massage for your back. Shouldn't be too hard to get one out of your employer

Last edited by mamoon2; 07 April 2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Link
Old 07 April 2008, 04:48 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Or, if your feeling adventurous

Old 07 April 2008, 04:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Hehe the recommended chair is just shy of 800 notes, so either of those would be in range lol.

As for H&S, they were addressed about it but ignored it, hence 4 months later im still off work
Old 07 April 2008, 10:28 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to order a workplace scan for an employee who complained his chair was uncomfortable and causing back trouble, before the jobsworths in purchasing would order a new seat for him. The scan itself took around one hour and cost 400 Euros. Finally the girl doing it even wrote up the model of chair that the chap should get i.e. exactly the one he wanted.

Unfortunately the poor man had first to go and see the company doctor before the workplace scan could be done. Chair took 12 weeks to order as well, so slightly over 5 months then from start to finish. So not beaurocratic at all then
Old 07 April 2008, 10:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Its a part of our induction, that we have a workplace assesment.

For me it was beneficial, the guy who came out, set up the VDU, desk, chair and ancillaries, to suit me

we have hot desks, and thats what there used for. our own workstations are left set up for us

Mart
Old 07 April 2008, 10:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
I had to order a workplace scan for an employee who complained his chair was uncomfortable and causing back trouble, before the jobsworths in purchasing would order a new seat for him. The scan itself took around one hour and cost 400 Euros. Finally the girl doing it even wrote up the model of chair that the chap should get i.e. exactly the one he wanted.

Unfortunately the poor man had first to go and see the company doctor before the workplace scan could be done. Chair took 12 weeks to order as well, so slightly over 5 months then from start to finish. So not beaurocratic at all then
Cheers mate, who did the assessment to decide what chair he needed?
I have seen the company doctor 3 times now. 4th time next week.

Seems to me that simply getting a sales rep in from a posture company is not really "what the doctor ordered"
Old 07 April 2008, 10:38 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Cheers mate, who did the assessment to decide what chair he needed?
I have seen the company doctor 3 times now. 4th time next week.

Seems to me that simply getting a sales rep in from a posture company is not really "what the doctor ordered"

At least the reason why you are SN's premier poster is now clear!

I'm based in Holland, so no-one local to you. Chair itself was a simple high-backed jobbie that he had used previously and found comfortable, so he chose the same again. The guy in question is a top performer despite suffering from MS . I think the lady doing the scan was just so embarrassed to be a part of making his life difficult that she just did as he told her!!
Old 07 April 2008, 10:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

At least the reason why you are SN's premier poster is now clear!

I'm based in Holland, so no-one local to you. Chair itself was a simple high-backed jobbie that he had used previously and found comfortable, so he chose the same again. The guy in question is a top performer despite suffering from MS . I think the lady doing the scan was just so embarrassed to be a part of making his life difficult that she just did as he told her!!
lol flippin cheek, im just the most abused poster

Naa was not expecting to go to the same place, just wondered what sort of place it was. Having been given guidance from 2 physio's and 4 doctors, im not about to listen to some young chair salesperson trying to make a quick buck at my expense.

Thats all I asked for over 3 years ago, a high backed decent chair... Been off for 17+ weeks now, and still we are just at the assessment stage which has still not been done properly.
Old 07 April 2008, 10:47 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

She was from an ergonomic agency of some sort. And she was a sort too!
Old 07 April 2008, 10:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

She was from an ergonomic agency of some sort. And she was a sort too!
Now thats what I call a win win situation

Cool, thanks for the info mate. Now lets see what my solicitors say