Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Same Price As Tesco........

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 12:38 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Price As Tesco........

I was dragged around Sainsbury's today - awful. Anyway, in that draggin I saw many signs next various items say 'Same price as Tesco' listed, with a price.

To me, that implies that certain items are the same price as their main competitor, but the rest is more expensive. Nothing more.

The Mrs, who was dragging me disagreed, pointing out the letters after her name in marketing qualifications, but I still think it's a crap campaign.

Morrisons are better, anyway. Apart from the fish dept. Their ads bang on about the fish there having never been frozen, but all their shellfish has been pre-frozen, so can't be stored and is crap.

Waitrose, I think, just for honesty and not having to wipe your feet on the way out.
Old 07 April 2008, 12:43 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Asda for cheap, local shop for quality, Tesco and Sainsbury of you can't tell the difference
Old 07 April 2008, 12:48 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Only went for bog paper and milk.

I buy all the food from the farmers' market and meat from Smithfield @ 30% of the shop prices

Supermarkets are only good for chemical products and beer when it's on offer - nothing more.

I'd rather starve than enter ASDA - like walking into the cast of Shameless with free money.
Old 07 April 2008, 12:51 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I was dragged around Sainsbury's today - awful. Anyway, in that draggin I saw many signs next various items say 'Same price as Tesco' listed, with a price.

To me, that implies that certain items are the same price as their main competitor, but the rest is more expensive. Nothing more.
Totally agree, and can't see the point in stating a price is the same as a direct competitor. People think they're getting a bargain if a sign like that says their price is lower than another store, saying it's the same seems to serve no purpose.

I too agree that it either implies the rest is more expensive, or there is no difference, but the ticketing will generally only be placed on more popular/better selling lines, purely to attract attention.
Old 07 April 2008, 12:53 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

But sometimes they have really really cheap beer. (6 quid for 18 440ml Carlsberg on Easter Saturday)... IIRC I saw that cast of Shameless driving and empty artic into the beer ailse
Old 07 April 2008, 12:59 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

On the subject of beer........

My mate owns an off licence opposite my local Sainsbury. He's booming, trade-wise. Hed get Sainsbury's staff buying their personal booze from him as their staff discount still prices him lower than them.

I don't eat them, but I'm sad and have a bit of a photo-memory. Notised F Bentos Pies in Sainsbury have gone from £1.19 to £1.43 in the past month , and Fig Rolls (nice one) gone from 81p to 94p. Worse than petrol.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:09 AM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

MMmmmmm fig rolls are the shizzle
Sorry , back to the thread in hand

Did someone mention beer too
Old 07 April 2008, 01:10 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I'd rather starve than enter ASDA - like walking into the cast of Shameless with free money.
The dredge of society where I live tend to shop at Morrisons, leaving ASDA pretty decent
Old 07 April 2008, 01:17 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
The dredge of society where I live tend to shop at Morrisons, leaving ASDA pretty decent
ASDA and Morrisons here - white trash all the way. I just tend to use Morissons when need be, as a Leeds boy, moved south so nice to have astore from home!

Sainsbury's today was full of fat, white people who pronounced TH as an F and had a whiff of cheap beef burger about them!

Semi-joking, but these places are full of dross, lie in their marketing, and get away with it. People would literally buy **** if it looks cheap.

I refuse to enter Tesco as they will be cause of your High Street dying in the next 5 years.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 07 April 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07 April 2008, 07:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it. If they were 'cheaper than' signs, it might make more sense.
Old 07 April 2008, 09:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I refuse to enter Tesco as they will be cause of your High Street dying in the next 5 years.
If you're *really* concerned about the high street *dying* then why shop in ANY of the supermarkets? They're all guilty of it.
Old 07 April 2008, 12:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Tesco marks up the wine far less than Sainsburys. Ohh and Asda is fine you Marks & Spencer type snobs! D
Old 07 April 2008, 12:50 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Some of my friends dont shop in Asda because the customers are from less privileged backgrounds (nice way to put it).

I think they are completely mad. Why pay more for the same product, just so that you dont have to look at their clientele? Its not like you have to speak to them.

Most of them get there by bus aswell, so its not like they are going to dent your car either
Old 07 April 2008, 01:05 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If you're *really* concerned about the high street *dying* then why shop in ANY of the supermarkets? They're all guilty of it.

I'm not concerned - didn't say I was. It just nice to see independent shops on high streets.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:10 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Some of my friends dont shop in Asda because the customers are from less privileged backgrounds (nice way to put it).

I think they are completely mad. Why pay more for the same product, just so that you dont have to look at their clientele? Its not like you have to speak to them.

Most of them get there by bus aswell, so its not like they are going to dent your car either

Cant say I've picked up on this it either makes me naive or lacking a snobby gene!

We always go to Asda for our Champagne. Its £4 cheaper than Waitrose so we can then buy 18 Lambert & Butler long 'uns with the change. Smart!

D
Old 07 April 2008, 01:29 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

anyone from leeds can't complain about asda..pot,kettle?
Old 07 April 2008, 01:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I don't eat them, but I'm sad and have a bit of a photo-memory. Notised F Bentos Pies in Sainsbury have gone from £1.19 to £1.43 in the past month , and Fig Rolls (nice one) gone from 81p to 94p. Worse than petrol.
Not one person picked up on this!! Sad is putting it mildly. It's a womans job to know the details of what she buys, a mans job to eat/use it.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Only went for bog paper and milk.

I buy all the food from the farmers' market and meat from Smithfield @ 30% of the shop prices

Supermarkets are only good for chemical products and beer when it's on offer - nothing more.

You clearly dont have a Scummerfields on your lot ..!
Old 07 April 2008, 01:46 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I don't know about your high street, but ours isn't full of independent shops anyway. Pretty much every town in the UK is overrun by the big chain stores.
Old 07 April 2008, 02:05 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i shop at asda and tesco, i buy baby things from asda (food pampers etc) and food from tesco, as this works out the cheapest.

its only a few ££ here and there, but it makes a difference.

£10 to some people on here is small change, to others it is alot.

so brand me as a cast of Shameless, but i dont care, i get the best i can for the money i have got for my familey.
Old 07 April 2008, 02:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

"Sainsburys exists to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose"

Alan Coren