ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Same Price As Tesco........ (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/679891-same-price-as-tesco.html)

fatherpierre 07 April 2008 12:38 AM

Same Price As Tesco........

I was dragged around Sainsbury's today - awful. Anyway, in that draggin I saw many signs next various items say 'Same price as Tesco' listed, with a price.

To me, that implies that certain items are the same price as their main competitor, but the rest is more expensive. Nothing more.

The Mrs, who was dragging me disagreed, pointing out the letters after her name in marketing qualifications, but I still think it's a crap campaign.

Morrisons are better, anyway. Apart from the fish dept. Their ads bang on about the fish there having never been frozen, but all their shellfish has been pre-frozen, so can't be stored and is crap.

Waitrose, I think, just for honesty and not having to wipe your feet on the way out.

fast bloke 07 April 2008 12:43 AM

Asda for cheap, local shop for quality, Tesco and Sainsbury of you can't tell the difference

fatherpierre 07 April 2008 12:48 AM

Only went for bog paper and milk.

I buy all the food from the farmers' market and meat from Smithfield @ 30% of the shop prices ;)

Supermarkets are only good for chemical products and beer when it's on offer - nothing more.

I'd rather starve than enter ASDA - like walking into the cast of Shameless with free money.

Lisawrx 07 April 2008 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790622)
I was dragged around Sainsbury's today - awful. Anyway, in that draggin I saw many signs next various items say 'Same price as Tesco' listed, with a price.

To me, that implies that certain items are the same price as their main competitor, but the rest is more expensive. Nothing more.

Totally agree, and can't see the point in stating a price is the same as a direct competitor. People think they're getting a bargain if a sign like that says their price is lower than another store, saying it's the same seems to serve no purpose.

I too agree that it either implies the rest is more expensive, or there is no difference, but the ticketing will generally only be placed on more popular/better selling lines, purely to attract attention.

fast bloke 07 April 2008 12:53 AM

But sometimes they have really really cheap beer. (6 quid for 18 440ml Carlsberg on Easter Saturday)... IIRC I saw that cast of Shameless driving and empty artic into the beer ailse

fatherpierre 07 April 2008 12:59 AM

On the subject of beer........

My mate owns an off licence opposite my local Sainsbury. He's booming, trade-wise. Hed get Sainsbury's staff buying their personal booze from him as their staff discount still prices him lower than them.

I don't eat them, but I'm sad and have a bit of a photo-memory. Notised F Bentos Pies in Sainsbury have gone from £1.19 to £1.43 in the past month ;), and Fig Rolls (nice one) gone from 81p to 94p. Worse than petrol.

speedymonkey 07 April 2008 01:09 AM

MMmmmmm fig rolls are the shizzle :luxhello:
Sorry , back to the thread in hand :o

Did someone mention beer too :Suspiciou :lol1:

Sonic' 07 April 2008 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790631)
I'd rather starve than enter ASDA - like walking into the cast of Shameless with free money.

The dredge of society where I live tend to shop at Morrisons, leaving ASDA pretty decent :D

fatherpierre 07 April 2008 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7790646)
The dredge of society where I live tend to shop at Morrisons, leaving ASDA pretty decent :D

ASDA and Morrisons here - white trash all the way. I just tend to use Morissons when need be, as a Leeds boy, moved south so nice to have astore from home!

Sainsbury's today was full of fat, white people who pronounced TH as an F and had a whiff of cheap beef burger about them!

Semi-joking, but these places are full of dross, lie in their marketing, and get away with it. People would literally buy sh1t if it looks cheap.

I refuse to enter Tesco as they will be cause of your High Street dying in the next 5 years.

TopBanana 07 April 2008 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790622)

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it. If they were 'cheaper than' signs, it might make more sense.

Dracoro 07 April 2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790651)
I refuse to enter Tesco as they will be cause of your High Street dying in the next 5 years.

If you're *really* concerned about the high street *dying* then why shop in ANY of the supermarkets? They're all guilty of it.

Diesel 07 April 2008 12:42 PM

Tesco marks up the wine far less than Sainsburys. Ohh and Asda is fine you Marks & Spencer type snobs! D

rossyboy 07 April 2008 12:50 PM

Some of my friends dont shop in Asda because the customers are from less privileged backgrounds (nice way to put it).

I think they are completely mad. Why pay more for the same product, just so that you dont have to look at their clientele? Its not like you have to speak to them.

Most of them get there by bus aswell, so its not like they are going to dent your car either :)

fatherpierre 07 April 2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 7790824)
If you're *really* concerned about the high street *dying* then why shop in ANY of the supermarkets? They're all guilty of it.

I'm not concerned - didn't say I was. It just nice to see independent shops on high streets.

Diesel 07 April 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 7791258)
Some of my friends dont shop in Asda because the customers are from less privileged backgrounds (nice way to put it).

I think they are completely mad. Why pay more for the same product, just so that you dont have to look at their clientele? Its not like you have to speak to them.

Most of them get there by bus aswell, so its not like they are going to dent your car either :)

Cant say I've picked up on this it either makes me naive or lacking a snobby gene!

We always go to Asda for our Champagne. Its £4 cheaper than Waitrose so we can then buy 18 Lambert & Butler long 'uns with the change. Smart!

D

lem6 07 April 2008 01:29 PM

anyone from leeds can't complain about asda..pot,kettle?

Spoon 07 April 2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790639)
I don't eat them, but I'm sad and have a bit of a photo-memory. Notised F Bentos Pies in Sainsbury have gone from £1.19 to £1.43 in the past month ;), and Fig Rolls (nice one) gone from 81p to 94p. Worse than petrol.

Not one person picked up on this!! Sad is putting it mildly. It's a womans job to know the details of what she buys, a mans job to eat/use it. :thumb:

dpb 07 April 2008 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790631)
Only went for bog paper and milk.

I buy all the food from the farmers' market and meat from Smithfield @ 30% of the shop prices ;)

Supermarkets are only good for chemical products and beer when it's on offer - nothing more.

You clearly dont have a Scummerfields on your lot ..!

NotoriousREV 07 April 2008 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7790651)

I don't know about your high street, but ours isn't full of independent shops anyway. Pretty much every town in the UK is overrun by the big chain stores.

Ian 07 April 2008 02:05 PM

i shop at asda and tesco, i buy baby things from asda (food pampers etc) and food from tesco, as this works out the cheapest.

its only a few ££ here and there, but it makes a difference.

£10 to some people on here is small change, to others it is alot.

so brand me as a cast of Shameless, but i dont care, i get the best i can for the money i have got for my familey.

PeteBrant 07 April 2008 02:08 PM

"Sainsburys exists to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose"

Alan Coren