Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Opinions on a "serious" matter please.

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 07:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a "serious" matter please.

Right, the scenario...

You work in a large retail store, big workforce.
Its noticed by a few of you that a security guard (one of about 20) has started paying for young childrens snack shopping in the morning.

We are talking donuts, crisps and drinks etc, for kids in the age range of 11-12.

What do YOU do?

Think aaah thats kind
Think, hmmm thats wierd
or not be happy with the situation and report it as high as you can?

Things that spring to mind.
Security dont get great money, so random acts of kindness would be limited. Not doing it 2-3-4 times a day.
Why choose that age group and not pay for kids with their parents?

Right no more waffle, opinions please.

Personally, I think its wierd and a little worrying. I know there are kind people out there, but the guard should not be buying anything while working, seems to do it a lot, and seems to have chosen a vunerable group to be kind to.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Phew, a difficult one.

Could be entirely harmless, lonely man, his wife's taken HIS kids away, or never had any, etc.

Could be someone grooming.

I'd hate to have to make the decision, and I'd hate even more to be his superior

Alcazar
Old 01 April 2008, 08:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
He doesn't known the kids does he? Would make a difference.

Dave

Nope, does not know the kids, there is apparently no immediate verbal exchange, and they seem shocked, yet pleased of course, that he has made the gesture.
Example given today was of 2 young girls about 11, buying the above goods, as it was totalled up, he approached, offered his card for payment, and the girls appeared "suprised".
Old 01 April 2008, 08:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Phew, a difficult one.

Could be entirely harmless, lonely man, his wife's taken HIS kids away, or never had any, etc.

Could be someone grooming.

I'd hate to have to make the decision, and I'd hate even more to be his superior

Alcazar
Totally agree mate. Its wrong to just judge people, and there could be a perfectly good explaination. However what do you do so you are NOT taking the chance that there IS something wrong there.

Guard is mid-late 20's approx.

Nothing wrong with kindness, but random selection seems wierd.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Give Crimestoppers a call. It's anonymous and I'm sure they'll know exactly what to do. I suspect that they will ask the police to send someone working undercover, who will have a better chance of seeing things from outside the environment.

The thing to remember is that he is innocent of any crime until proven guilty.

Don't go rounding up a lynch mob for something that could be completely innocent.

If they do decide to haul him in for a chat, at least you can have your peace of mind that any damage has been prevented.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Give Crimestoppers a call. It's anonymous and I'm sure they'll know exactly what to do. I suspect that they will ask the police to send someone working undercover, who will have a better chance of seeing things from outside the environment.

The thing to remember is that he is innocent of any crime until proven guilty.

Don't go rounding up a lynch mob for something that could be completely innocent.

If they do decide to haul him in for a chat, at least you can have your peace of mind that any damage has been prevented.

You and I are tuned into the same channel mate Thats my exact train of thought. Or another child protection body. Would not dream of spreading rumours, hence the careful wording of the question
Old 01 April 2008, 08:13 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I assume it's not the same kids each time?

Surely the kids are not alone and not regular visitors to one store?

If he's a security worker he should be subject to checks before being employed in that position anyway.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I assume it's not the same kids each time?

Surely the kids are not alone and not regular visitors to one store?

If he's a security worker he should be subject to checks before being employed in that position anyway.

The kids are alone, very common for the kids to leave for school about 7.30, parents go to work, kids meet up and head to school after a bit of shop lifting lol.

Security checks, I would assume yes, but SAO maximum for security guards, unless things have changed.

Not the same kids every time no, hence they are still displaying suprise.

Hutton, sadly its not me directly in a position to have that conversation, nor is the person telling me about it.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I'd have a quiet word over a coffee/beer. Like 'Hey mate, how come you're always buying sweets for all the kids? Couldn't afford it myself.' Or words to that effect. As you say, it could be totally innocent. If it is no sense in getting anyone else involved, just mention that *some* people may get the wrong end of the stick if they catch on.

If it isn't innocent then you should be able to tell by his reaction if you catch him unawares. Then you can take it further ...

Dave
I wouldn't say anything in a pub/bar/cafe. You can be sure someone will be listening. Doing it in a public place will just invite others to get involved.

Imagine if you were overheard in a pub full of construction workers, who've been drinking since 14:00 in the afternoon, and are just looking for an excuse for a fight. "'ere. That fella is a child molesta. C'mon, lads. Let's fix him."

He'd be swinging from the nearest lampost after the kangaroo court has finished with him.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:32 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

You would be surprised on how many checks dont actually happen, even these days
Old 01 April 2008, 08:33 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I think you already know the answer as you have already said it, report it and let the proper people deal with it after all they are trained in these fields, a few mispalced innocent words from the general public can damage a person so much.
Also any checks done are only as good as up to the time they are done, we have just recently done our CRB checks for working in schools if you then suddenly decided to do something innappropriate it would never have been picked up as the check is already done.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Good to hear other people saying what I have been thinking.
Thank you.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:15 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

At the very least the security guard is opening himself up to a whole host of possible problems, thats if there is a reasonable explanation of his actions.

However much you may feel there is a good explanation for his behaviour, you have felt the need to ask for other people opinions, as has been said I think you already know the answer your looking for.

Think the question you need to be trying to answer is more who you report it too?
Old 01 April 2008, 09:21 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

How many of you blokes on here would go and offer to pay for some unknown kid's sweets using your credit card?

My feminine intuition can hear alarm bells ringing. It's not regular behaviour is it?
Old 01 April 2008, 09:24 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Snazy
Nope, does not know the kids, there is apparently no immediate verbal exchange, and they seem shocked, yet pleased of course, that he has made the gesture.
Example given today was of 2 young girls about 11, buying the above goods, as it was totalled up, he approached, offered his card for payment, and the girls appeared "suprised".

That line worries me a little.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:34 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

IMHO opinion you should be having a quiet word with his Line Manager to express your clear concerns.

Getting the authorities involved would / could lead to trouble that MAY not be justified.

His manager should take the approach of "buying sweets for kids can only be seen as questionable. You've been seen doing so, could you please explain why?"

If he bolts, you know you've found a guilty party.....
Old 01 April 2008, 09:53 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
How many of you blokes on here would go and offer to pay for some unknown kid's sweets using your credit card?
Agreed. No way any reasonable bloke I know would do that.

Speak to the management and voice your concerns in the cautious, calm and sensible way you have done here . If they do nothing, then call in the lynch mob.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:33 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

He could simply be an honest guy who doesnt realise the errors of his ways because he lacks common sense and not the brightest of people so reporting the matter officially could do him a big favour and help him keep his job.

Also what springs to mind is why is the till girl/guy accepting the payment from the security guard? Surely they should be saying to him you shouldnt be paying for these.

Also why are the children not refusing the gesture, as i was brought up never talk to strangers or take anything from them. Which also means something official to the management needs to be highlighted before one of the children does go home and tells their parents what happened and they end up storming into the store looking for blood.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:34 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Out of curiosity, how old is this guy?
Old 01 April 2008, 10:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Out of curiosity, how old is this guy?

Who's not reading the thread properly
Mid to late 20's

Yes the cashiers should be questioning it, but its not their place to tell the security their job. Contract security, not employee.

The kids should refuse it, but this is a different world these days, and its "something for nothing is fine by me". Not "hang on this is strange"
Old 01 April 2008, 10:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Strikes me as wierd. His Boss just needs to have a quite word surely? Open & honest communication is what works best at work IMHO.

TX.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:45 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Snazy
Who's not reading the thread properly
Mid to late 20's

Yes the cashiers should be questioning it, but its not their place to tell the security their job. Contract security, not employee.

The kids should refuse it, but this is a different world these days, and its "something for nothing is fine by me". Not "hang on this is strange"
God damn! You expect me to hold all that information??

Hmmmm, maybe an older guy could get away with a grandfatherly kindness once in a while, but it's even weirder that a mid 20's chap is buying kiddies sweets...

ok so he may be 'grooming' children.. then again he could be one sandwich short of a picnic and lining himself up for a rough ride..

can you not mention it as a concern to say the HR Manager or even the store manager.. and ask them to keep the 'informers details' quiet..

It's better to be safe than sorry, if he is on the pervert side, I would think that the coppers may not react quick enough if you went through crimestoppers - and how would you feel if something happened?? I would go through store procedures, mate - you've then covered things with the company itself, and they should be aware that this is happening on their premises.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Personally tbh, I would feel nothing if something happened as im a third party in this. Not fully armed with all the facts nor ability to approach senior management unfortunatly.

Thats not being carefree about it by the way
However applying the pressure to the person I know to do something about it is awkward too.
I think the Crimestoppers, or a similar body is the best bet, the most discreet, and least problematic.

At the end of the day I just want someone trained in these matters to assess the situation, rather than a retail manager, or jumped up HR person with no experience in grooming etc to make a lunge at the situation, and just get him to move on where it can start all over again, possibly this time undetected.

Phone call tomorrow me thinks.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:03 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Let us know how it goes
Old 01 April 2008, 11:10 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

When you say kids, is it just girls or boys or both?

Point being, if he did have bad intentions, he would more likely go for one sex or the other - not many pedos would go for both sexes if you see what I mean. Granted there are exceptions. But maybe something to put to mind.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

On a lighter note, maybe it's not his card !

Grabs coat and runs....
Old 02 April 2008, 05:22 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The only sensible course of action is to call the News of the World
Old 02 April 2008, 07:08 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobychick

My feminine intuition can hear alarm bells ringing. It's not regular behaviour is it?

I would, if you dressed up as a schoolgirl

Quick Reply: Opinions on a "serious" matter please.