Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Theres speeding & speeding but this stinks.....

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 11:51 AM
JGT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theres speeding & speeding but this stinks.....

Seen this in yesterdays paper

PC's 135mph son escapes driving ban after a word from his father | the Daily Mail

Couldnt belive this, any normal person would be hung drawn and quarted, banned and £500+ fine. this chimp gets some points and £200 fine?? wtf......

I could'nt even think about going into treble figures, I need to drive therefore need my licence and drive accordingly, not saying I don't speed, Ive three points on my licence, but nearly twice the limit for crist sake.

I know people say its not what you but who you know.

Justice system stinks, all and sundry knows this country is going down hill, but this sucks big time.

Suppose Just shows you the difference between them and us.

Rant over
JGT
Old 01 April 2008, 11:55 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Bet that Alfa V6 sounded nice at that speed though.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:56 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

hahhahaahah kinda brings a tear to the eye lol

i thought there was a new rule afew years back where if you drive more 100+mph you get straight ban? doesnt sound like this is the case..... can some1 clarify?
Old 01 April 2008, 12:02 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

April 1st?

Hope so
Old 01 April 2008, 12:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

daily mail ..

Fry im..!
Old 01 April 2008, 12:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGT
Couldnt belive this, any normal person would be hung drawn and quarted, banned and £500+ fine. this chimp gets some points and £200 fine?? wtf......

I could'nt even think about going into treble figures, I need to drive therefore need my licence and drive accordingly, not saying I don't speed, Ive three points on my licence, but nearly twice the limit for crist sake.

I know people say its not what you but who you know.

Justice system stinks, all and sundry knows this country is going down hill, but this sucks big time.

Suppose Just shows you the difference between them and us.

Rant over
JGT
Have to disagree, JGT. I was stopped for 133 MPH and received only 6 points and a £450 fine, plus £40 costs for the gun calibration, I believe.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:47 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Good luck to him. The more people that can prove that you can do 130mph on a motorway without killing anyone the sooner the speed kills mantra can be put to bed and resources can be redirected where they actually would make a real difference to safety.

He's got to drive carefully now for fear of a ban, so job done I would say.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:54 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

he won't be the only person to get off a ban at that speed, but it only makes the papers when it's 'public interest. Undertaking at the speed though is crazy.

For those who think coppers never get nicked, there was case thre other week when a pc got banned and sacked after going through a speed camera, over the speed limit, whilst on a blue-light call. They weren't impressed by him giving the camera the v's!
Old 01 April 2008, 01:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To the above, stupid is as stupid does...
Old 01 April 2008, 01:32 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Undertaking at the speed though is crazy.
It doesn't say he was undertaking at that speed, he passed a couple of cars on the left as he left the motorway, I expect we've all done it.
Old 01 April 2008, 02:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Good luck to him. The more people that can prove that you can do 130mph on a motorway without killing anyone the sooner the speed kills mantra can be put to bed and resources can be redirected where they actually would make a real difference to safety.

He's got to drive carefully now for fear of a ban, so job done I would say.
It is quite disgraceful that he got away with this, 135 mph and overtaking on the left are nothing less than dangerous driving. The magistrates should be relieved of their places on the bench, since they must have let him off lightly because of his father's statement with him being an ex copper and also still working for the police. No doubt a similar instance to that other copper being let off for travelling at 159 mph!

There can be no justification for driving at 3 figure speeds on a motorway or any public road for that matter. Whatever anyone tries to say-it is a very dangerous thing to do and is totally unfair on the other innocent road users who may get involved should the prat concerned lose control. It cannot be denied that any accident at those speeds will be far worse in its effects and also the safety margins are reduced by an enormous amount. Don't bother to say it was an empty road, because it wasn't. And that would still not justify such behaviour.

Anyone driving at such speeds and in such a way, or recommending it, is being extremely selfish and this maniac should have had the book thrown at him. The magistrates failed in their duty to the public!

Les
Old 01 April 2008, 05:02 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

...."high-powered" Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Old 01 April 2008, 09:44 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Crazy thing is I was in my friends car doing this on Saturday and it was completely legal lol!! (Germany)
Old 01 April 2008, 10:14 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
There can be no justification for driving at 3 figure speeds on a motorway or any public road for that matter. Whatever anyone tries to say-it is a very dangerous thing to do and is totally unfair on the other innocent road users.
As the man says 3 figure speeds are not necessarily deemed to be life threatening in Germany . I drive at those sorts of speeds with the kids on board too!
Old 01 April 2008, 10:47 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

There can be no justification for driving at 3 figure speeds on a motorway or any public road for that matter. Whatever anyone tries to say-it is a very dangerous thing to do and is totally unfair on the other innocent road users who may get involved should the prat concerned lose control.
Mmm, ok Les.

I've done similar speeds on a few occasions both legally in Germany and here and have to say so long as the roads are clear and look ahead it's no more dangerous than doing 60 through a twisty country lane.

Strange how considering how "life threatening" and "dangerous" it was the Police felt the need to catch up by travelling at 145mph and then follow the car for 3 miles at 135mph. Surely if they had applied the blue lights straight away the driver would have slowed immediately and the danger would have gone?

No mention in the article of the road conditions / traffic flow or time of day either.

The courts applied common sense and now instead of a few weeks ban this lad will have at least 2 years being 1 point away from a 12 month ban. He will drive more within the law for those 2 years - sensible decision i'd say
Old 01 April 2008, 11:01 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Never understood this as an offence. If the middle lane hoggers drove according to the law then you wouldn't be able to undertake them

TX.

Originally Posted by Leslie
... overtaking on the left are nothing less than dangerous driving.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:06 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It is dangerous, I used to pass on the left quite a lot to get past middle lane hoggers but nearly got swiped by one when he decided to pull in just as I was passing.
I always make the effort to cross 3 lanes , go past and then cross back again now. Annoying but much safer.
Old 02 April 2008, 08:58 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Never understood this as an offence. If the middle lane hoggers drove according to the law then you wouldn't be able to undertake them

TX.
no they shouldn't be hogging the middle lane, but how can passing them on the side they're highly unlikely to be monitoring, at nearly twice their speed not be dangerous?!

overtaking on either side could be legal, and ought to work, but there's so many numpties on the roads it wouldn't be done safely. I see drivers every day driving with their wing mirrors folded in - if they ever used them they may just have noticed.
Old 02 April 2008, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Terminator X, you have got your answer from two other people and they are quite correct of course. I should have a look at a highway code to see the law about overtaking on the left if I was you! Being passed on the left is dangerous not only because it is against the law at normal driving speeds unless you are signalling a right turn, and also because it is an unexpected manoeuvre by the driver being overtaken. It is considerably safer to expect to be passed only on the right under normal circumstances.

This is not Germany and the law here states a max speed of 70 of course, the roads from what I remember of Germany are far less crowded for a start although I have seen concentrations of traffic on the Autobahns and also speed limits on parts of them which were considered unsafe for unlimited speeds. This was largely for expected possibilities of extra traffic I understand.

People in this country do not expect traffic travelling at 3 figure speeds because of our own limits and that in itself is dangerous in respect of their reactions to other cars. I have been known to say that I think our motorway speed limit should be increased, maybe 85-90 mph because I believe that would go some way to getting rid of bunching of traffic.

3 Figure speeds are far too dangerous in this country because of the large speed differentials between that and cars at the legal limit and also although cars are better at braking and handling generally, human reaction times and general driving ability are just the same as they always used to be. Public roads are meant for cars to get from place to place and not for racing style driving as far as the law in concerned of course.

The speed at which this chap was travelling including overtaking two vehicles on their left was well into the dangerous driving zone as far as this country is concerned an letting him off because of character references from his father and other family members, all of whom are reported to work for the police is a dereliction of the magistrate's duty. His self admitted attitude to driving in his Facebook entry belies those references anyway.

Les
Old 02 April 2008, 12:39 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

There are limits on the autobahns BUT less busy they are not.

First off they are only two lane not three so it bunches people up. What they do is ban lorries from over taking so you don't end up hitting the back of a long slow queue.

The responsibility is also on the drivers in the outside lane to keep an eye out for people moving out. They seem to stick on an indicator and move over. In this country all the responsibility is with the person moving out to see that there is space. They have less accidents than we do and the roads are smaller and older but they have better rules and they watch where they are going!

5t.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:52 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

My point about the undertaking was simply why is it an offence as the middle lane hogger should pull to the inside when it's safe to do so thus avoiding being undertaken. If THEY acted in accordance with the Highway Code then it would be impossible to undertake them

BTW I'm not condoning (sp?) an undertake at 135mph!

TX.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:57 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Worse still the perpetrator was a pikey looking chav...

Old 02 April 2008, 01:57 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

in germany they also TEACH people how to use the motorway!
Old 03 April 2008, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
My point about the undertaking was simply why is it an offence as the middle lane hogger should pull to the inside when it's safe to do so thus avoiding being undertaken. If THEY acted in accordance with the Highway Code then it would be impossible to undertake them

BTW I'm not condoning (sp?) an undertake at 135mph!

TX.
Yes I agree about the centre lane hogger of course, but its just too exciting when he finally does pull into the left lane just as you undertake him.

Les
Old 03 April 2008, 06:44 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
in germany they also TEACH people how to use the motorway!
Its madness that motorway driving isn't part of our driving test if you ask me. Reading about it in the highway code and on a computer screen test is a bit different to actually driving on one