Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any good cooks out there??

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2008, 09:21 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good cooks out there??

I class myself as a pretty good cook at home, I cook every meal from scratch most nights - Now, I fancy doing some scallops - not affraid of the challenge, just don't really know what to put with them want to supprise the gf, but don't want to kill her Any tips would be much appriciated, either cooking them or putting a good dish together! Before anyone starts, I know it's a bit Dale Winton, but I really enjoy bein in the kitchen with a good few beers/wine!! It's mint lads, you should try it some time!!
Old 30 March 2008, 09:36 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

hello mate

i'm a chef and in our restaurant i do a scallop,black pudding and crispy bacon salad,personally i like them with fresh(not dried)tagliatelle pasta and a pesto dressing,you could serve it with a nice salad,you can choose yourself what to put in the salad.

hope this helps a little

feel free to pm me if you want any more ideas

regards

nick.
Old 30 March 2008, 09:41 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

A couple of scallop starters I've cooked:
1) Seared scallops with fried potatoes (arranged in a ring scallop - potato - scallop etc), with flakes of truffle and drizzled with truffle oil.
2) Seared scallops drizzed with olive oil infused with chillis on a bed of rocket.

They also go nicely in a paella which I cook sometimes with our Spanish au pair.

Gary.
Old 30 March 2008, 09:58 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Spanish au pair!?!?! Sounds mint mate Do fancy heating things up with chilli, also heard before that black pud goes well with them Was gonna do a pea/mint puree with them originally Is it worth cooking them in white wine?
Old 30 March 2008, 10:10 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

This was the one from Gordon Ramsey's "cook a long":

Pan-roasted scallops with tomato and herb salsa recipe

Ingredients
• 4 tbsp Olive oil
• 200g cherry tomatoes
• 80g pitted, drained black olives
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• ½ bunch coriander, leaves only
• ½ bunch basil leaves
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 12 scallops (hand dived if you can get them), coral removed

Method: How to make pan-roasted scallops with tomato and herb salsa

1. First, place a small saucepan over a gentle heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the oil. Add the pitted black olives, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir over a low heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

2. Hold the stalks of the coriander and basil together and slice down with a sharp knife to shave off the leaves. Discard the stalks, gently roll the coriander and basil leaves into a ball and chop. Add the coriander and basil to the salsa and stir to combine.

3. Roll the lemon on a chopping board to soften it and release the juices and then chop in half. Add the juice of half a lemon to the pan, stir and set the salsa aside to allow the flavours to infuse.

4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat until smoking hot and then add one tablespoon of olive oil. Lay the scallops out on a board, pat dry with kitchen paper and then season one side with salt and pepper.

5. Think of the frying pan as a clock face and add the largest scallop (seasoned side down) in the twelve o’clock position. Continue adding the scallops clockwise working your way round 1,2 3 etc until you get to 12 again. Season the unseasoned side of the scallops and after 1-2 minutes or when the underside is turning golden brown, with a palette knife or spatula, flip over the scallops starting with the scallop you placed in the twelve o’clock position. Squeeze the other half of the lemon over the scallops and give the pan a good shake to ensure even cooking.

6. After 1-2 minutes or when the scallops are golden brown on all sides, tip the pan onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.

7. To serve, lay out four small plates and place a large spoonful of the salsa in the middle of each plate, arrange 3 scallops on each plate and serve immediately
Old 31 March 2008, 09:22 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

kin ell, im hungry now
Old 31 March 2008, 09:29 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scallop & Monkfish Kebabs:

1. Make marinade of olive oil, garlic & fresh rosemary.
2. Marinade the scallops & monkfish for a couple of hours.
3. Make kebabs skewers with monkfish & scallops.
4. Wrap kebabs with pancetta (or smoked streaky bacon).
5. Grill and serve with salad.

Scallop & Monkfish Kebabs - Done

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2008, 09:35 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

imho the best bet with scallops is to keep it simple, if it was me id sear the scallops (red hot pan a few drizzles of olive oil, place the scallops in the pan and turn every 10-15 seconds for about 2 minutes) placed on a bed of fresh salad with a vinagrette dressing and draped with a mix of olive oil, fine chopped red pepper, green pepper, onion, and garlic. job done.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:50 AM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

Hey mate! i'm also a chef the best tips i can give you is keep it simple!! if you start slapping loads of flavors together you will totaly loose the taste of the scallops. At the place i work we just serve them pan fried with a rocket salad with lemmon and taragon dressing with toasted pine nuts.
The key is making sure you cook them well (as in good not well done) hot pan with oil about 1 min a side ish depending on size then drop in a big *** of butter and start to coat them in the foamy brown butter. dont let the butter burn though or you'll end up with loads of little black specks all over the place and burt butter does not taste nice at all.
Old 31 March 2008, 12:41 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Nice one lads, thanks for the tips - think I will keep it simple, shaggy - that's sounds nice mate, and very easy!! Will give it a go this week!!
Old 31 March 2008, 03:03 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

There is also a good recipe in latest Nigella Lawson book.

It is very simple, cook some thin sliced chorizo in a large saucepan for a couple of minutes, then get chorizo out, but leave oil in. Then what the scallops in, and cook until ready, maybe squeeze some lemon over in pan just before serving too.

Could serve with some chick peas, wilted rocket, sherry vinegar, combo which is also in her book.

Very tasty, very quick, and maximum brownie points!