Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

would you consider moving jobs for less salary if you were pissed off at work?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2008, 03:52 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you consider moving jobs for less salary if you were pissed off at work?

as the title says would you do it?
Old 26 March 2008, 03:54 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

already have
Old 26 March 2008, 03:54 PM
wendywide
Scooby Newbie

Well it all depends if you have had your sexual advances shunned by one of your male colleagues or not
Old 26 March 2008, 04:05 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Depends how much of a drop, if it was too much you would just end up being pissed off at home instead due to not having enough money.
Old 26 March 2008, 04:32 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Why did you do it scarey.
im pissed off but paid about 4k more than than average,
Old 26 March 2008, 04:41 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

yeh i would and am seriously considering it as well, i work 20 miles from home so 40 mile round trip per day, if i got a job close to where i live i could afford to take a slight drop in wages cos i wouldnt be spending a fortune on fookin petrol all the time.
Old 26 March 2008, 04:50 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

i would move... as long as i get another job with reasonable pay.. even if not the same
Old 26 March 2008, 04:58 PM
New_scooby_04

At the end of the day you need to make ends meet

BUT

What price do you put on happiness? A good salary is of no use if you've not got any free time/spend all of it being a miserable b*stard!
Old 26 March 2008, 04:58 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I jacked in my job to work with my brother roofing, dropping about £4k a year. I enjoyed it much more than my old job but the travelling (450 miles a week) and the fact that work was drying up a little made me return to my old job.

It's not all bad though the break from here did me good and I have a different attitude to work now, I realised we can't all have fandibbytastic jobs and at least mine pays well.
Old 26 March 2008, 05:10 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I did it once and it was the worst decision of my life. I only did that job for 5 months and left without something else cos it was so horrible!

The grass is not always greener!
Old 26 March 2008, 05:16 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
Why did you do it scarey.
im pissed off but paid about 4k more than than average,
was at a major blue-chip IT company for 10 years. Was a great place to work at first but at the end getting called by my boss and getting told "it's cheaper to pay the penalties on the contract than to staff it properly to hit the targets" when I was the one getting it in the neck every day told me it was time to go. also found IT very dull.

Now I work for a company that's involved in the motor racing, aviation and military markets, amongst others, it's alot more fun! There's only two of us outside of the states looking after europe, middle-east and africa and we basically get told our yearly target and then left alone to do it. Every day is different and you basically decide what to do on a specific day depending on your mood.

Took about a 30% hit on basic salary (was basic only at old job), but commission is not capped so we put the hours and effort it and the skies the limit. Ended up about 5k down last year, but if this year contimues the same will be up on old salary.....and very tired!!!!!
Old 26 March 2008, 05:56 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I probably would depending on how much of a drop

Like someone said you have to make ends meet, and I am currently on about 12k a year worse off than I was a few years ago
Old 26 March 2008, 05:59 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I did, alot of times you have to drop a little because if you've been in a job a while you'll be on higher than market rates. Back to normal after a year and living abroad paid for, can't be bad eh?
Old 26 March 2008, 06:32 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
At the end of the day you need to make ends meet

BUT

What price do you put on happiness? A good salary is of no use if you've not got any free time/spend all of it being a miserable b*stard!
This is true!

I used to work for a company where I made a decent pay package, but I worked almost every weekend, some evenings a week, oncall 2 weeks out of four etc etc, and in the end it really messed me up... I'd spend most Fridays in the pub getting hammered (and some week days too), constantly angry with everything etc etc... In the end I couldn't be arsed any more and took a 15k pay drop and went to work for a company where I only worked about one weekend a month, with no evening work etc... still sucked, so I changed again and then again and now I'm in a place I like working for

Don't feel the need to drink so much any more, and I'm a lot happier as a person (still a miserable c*nt at best of times, but miles better than I used to be two years ago!) CV's been all chopped up with four jobs in two years, but at least I like where I am now.

At the end of the day, if you're not happy where you are, get your **** into gear and change jobs - life's to short to spend 8 hours a day being miserable at work IMO.
Old 26 March 2008, 07:12 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

It depends on how great a drop in salary you could live with.....my job bores me now, but it is close to home (10 min drive), easy hours (Im at home chilling out now!), no work to take home, and a decent salary which I can live off OK....

Some people I work with earn double I do, but they work longer hours, have stress, and have no hair!....Id like to earn about 15kpa more, but the extra hassle involved makes it a no-no for me cos Im a lazy bum at heart!
Old 26 March 2008, 07:28 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Yes quality of life is much more important than money,Jim.
Old 26 March 2008, 07:37 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

I'll second what Jim says, I left my last job and took a £5K pay cut to take my current position. However it's a much better place work and I feel so much better in myself.
Old 26 March 2008, 08:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I moved and dropped about 2k a year.
On the upside my new boss treats me a like a grown up, I'm not being micromanaged, and she doesnt look like the back end of a bus. That helps a lot.
I would say do it. No price on happiness, but it definitely isnt what you take home at the end of the month.
astraboy.
Old 26 March 2008, 08:12 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Looking at doing the same if that what it takes to get a job where I'm doing technical stuff . Current job (Banking sector), looking at making redundancies for the next 3 years so that people in India, Singapore and South Africa can have jobs, and save the company some money. At the moment the job I'm doing is getting less technical (UNIX Admin role), that I'm practically doing a Project Managers job at 1/3 of the pay, yet we all have to make harder targets even though we are being de-moralised at the sametime.
Old 26 March 2008, 08:49 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

6 months ago I started a job 8 miles away from home on 40% less than the job that was 150 miles away. Money isnt everything after all and I'm defo happy with it.
Cheers
AC
Old 26 March 2008, 08:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I jumped but it took six months of planning... I remember the feeling on Thursday lunch-time as I walked out the door for the last time ! House sold, car paid for, bank account full !

Took an "easy" job as I'm getting on a bit now, but passed another driving test and now make £2K a year less, but don't work late every weekday, never work weekends as I did before in previous job.

TBH I could do to earn £1k more a year for HDTV's and the like, but I don't watch much anyway.
LOL

DunxC
Old 26 March 2008, 08:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are getting it all wrong, move for more ! I was a peed of at the Police (, went to Woolies, still wasnt much fun (Hi Steve by the way) and too far so I went Contract on more than double

Now perm, near to home, bestmove I have ever made !
Old 26 March 2008, 08:58 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I moved jobs due to being pissed off with the employer, was getting paid very well but didn't feel like I was going anywhere career wise.

Relocated to my home town for less money but the perks were a 10 minute journey to work, familiar local places and being able to spend some quality time with my kids instead of being stuck on the M1 for several hours.
Old 26 March 2008, 09:18 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Would defo do so and am considering options at the mo. Long as I can still afford the V_Power it'll be alright
dnc
Old 26 March 2008, 09:19 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Yes!! In fact I'm in the process of doing so right now. Been at my current place 6 years and now at the point where I hate it. Its repetitive and boring, stuck in a block of concrete for 9 hours a day and 3 weekends in four.

I've been for several interviews within those six years but when the details come out in the interview it appeared that those jobs were just as bad, now I have an interview with another company which has alot better prospects long term though for the first 12 months the money is a lot less than I'm on now. Its worth the sacrifice to be a better job. My opinion anyway...
Old 26 March 2008, 09:44 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

No, as my salary is the square root of bugger-all. Our part-time workers (on minimum wage) get 40p an hour less than me
Old 26 March 2008, 10:36 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Yes, for any reason, yes and even if I didn't have a job lined up already. It's just a job, there are others.
Old 26 March 2008, 10:51 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

yes and have done in the past
Old 26 March 2008, 10:54 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Was considering this yesterday after a bad day at work.

Work my a**e off there for no thanks at all. The attitide of a few members of staff absolutely stink, and i ended up almost squaring up to my manager yesterday.

Have an hour drive to work, work 9.00-18.00 and only tend to take a 10 minute lunch, then normally end up staying untill 18.30-19.00 finishing paperwork, to have another hour drive home.

Have been offered another job doing 09.00-17.00, with a proper 1 hr lunch, and just a 10 minute drive to work, but i don't really want another office job, and it would mean taking a pay-cut

Will see how things pan out over the next few weeks, but a few Scoobynetters might have to look at shopping around for insurance in the future
Old 26 March 2008, 10:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i did and regretted it for a few months but then found a new job which lasted me a few months untill i bought a buisness.

leaving was the best thing i did and i didnt even have another job lined up i just found a job in a shop which tided me over and de stressed me untill i found a good salery else where.

Quick Reply: would you consider moving jobs for less salary if you were pissed off at work?