Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What does this phrase mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2008, 10:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this phrase mean to you?

How would you interpret it?

Just strengthening my resolve that it will be added to my Will that any dogs I own at the time of my death are also given sleep to rest with me.

Each to their own I guess but I'd haunt mercilessly anyone who took my dogs from me!!!
To me it says.... When I die, I would have any dog I own destroyed and laid to rest with me.....

Or have I got muddled up somewhere along the line ?
Old 24 March 2008, 10:21 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Agreed.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
How would you interpret it?

To me it says.... When I die, I would have any dog I own destroyed and laid to rest with me.....

Or have I got muddled up somewhere along the line ?

What I wanna know is where you got that from!
Old 24 March 2008, 10:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

What I wanna know is where you got that from!
In will come to that, just want other peoples opinions and interpretations of the line first

Cheers Scotty
Old 24 March 2008, 10:24 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yep i would take it to mean the same
i expect this is in relation to some bad news he has had so please tread respectfully chaps.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:26 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
yep i would take it to mean the same
i expect this is in relation to some bad news he has had so please tread respectfully chaps.

nope all good mate, not me directly involved, however a certain member on here will be rather angry to hear such a thing being said.... But I will leave that as a mystery for now.

Glad we are all on the same page though, as it appears I have read it exactly as it was intended, and am currently a little bewildered at such a comment. Especially given the situation it was in relation to.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Respect is intact
I agree with your interpretation, Snazy.
Just a bit baffled on the thought why someone would want their living dogs to be buried with them, that's all.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:32 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

just one question mate how old are the dogs?

would a vet not be reluctant to put a healthy dog down,
Old 24 March 2008, 10:35 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't normally give advice on funeral arrangements, but in this case I think he could do with a couple of pointers.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:35 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I shall do a bit of cut and pasting to make it a little clearer

I appreciate its a bit confusing to be asked such a random question.

Here we go...

Thread started regarding the rehoming of some 4 month old pups
Original response to a question I asked...

Personally I'd be mortified if I thought my dog's were being rehomed in such a way.

There is a very strong network of brilliant ****** rescue services out there so I find it hard to understand why this form of advertising is required by any "breeder/trainer"?

Poor, poor dogs

So I asked the question.....

With the greatest of respect I think you will find that network is indeed being explored, however there is no harm in exploring all avenues. Is there?

The person seeking help is very much expert but as we all know, rehoming does not happen over night, and when their owner has just died, its obviously quite a hard time.

Appreciate your feelings on the matter, but please lets not tar all with the same brush.

The response was.......

Not tarring anyone with ANY brush here!

Just strengthening my resolve that it will be added to my Will that any dogs I own at the time of my death are also given sleep to rest with me.

Each to their own I guess but I'd haunt mercilessly anyone who took my dogs from me!!!

So again I asked the question.....

Does that mean destroyed and laid to rest with you?

Response was swift and clear....

Absolutely.
Its very much a personal decision and whilst I do not expect everyone to agree, I do not request their opinion, or permission, either.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

just one question mate how old are the dogs?

would a vet not be reluctant to put a healthy dog down,
The actual dogs in question in the original post..... 4 months!
Its unclear if this person would consider this action towards such a young age, but seems vague but sure it would apply to ANY dog owned.

Bubba, I agree, and its she
Old 24 March 2008, 10:40 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

What a ****ing selfish *****.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:40 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

youve lost me
Old 24 March 2008, 10:43 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

youve lost me
Unless I'm mistaken, the post relates to someone who has put it in their Will to have their dogs killed when they die (the person, not the dog), so no-one else can have them.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:47 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

would a vet kill a healthy dog though?
Old 24 March 2008, 10:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

You cannot put young dogs down at the owner's whim. Sorry, not right. Not sure a vet would do it, either.

We have three dogs - all have been 'rescued' from various unforntuate circumstances. All wonderful dogs, all a PITA one way or another, but they get on great, give us a great deal of pleasure and have years of life left in them.

If we are wiped out in some tragedy tomorrow, do the dogs have to come with us? Absolutely not.

Richard.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

would a vet kill a healthy dog though?
Honestly I guess it would depend if it was a vet who was asked to do so, or some other sick minded individual.

This is indeed the scenario of this case. Destroying the dogs if they die. This is apparently someone who shows dogs and wins shows!

Rik...... im inclined to agree with your sentiment. As are a number of other users on the same forum.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
You cannot put young dogs down at the owner's whim. Sorry, not right. Not sure a vet would do it, either.

We have three dogs - all have been 'rescued' from various unforntuate circumstances. All wonderful dogs, all a PITA one way or another, but they get on great, give us a great deal of pleasure and have years of life left in them.

If we are wiped out in some tragedy tomorrow, do the dogs have to come with us? Absolutely not.

Richard.
Well done mate, congrats on the rescues. Apparently such a life is not for her dogs, and if you did so you would be haunted.

My final response to the subject was...

Phew. im glad im not alone on my confusion here. Not trying to start a witch hunt, nor prolong one, so I will leave it as our opinions differ Deb. I however respect your decision, but would happily challenge your will and put up with your eternal haunting if I thought a dog would be destroyed in such a way for such a reason.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:56 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I don't normally give advice on funeral arrangements, but in this case I think he could do with a couple of pointers.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Might seem cruel, but im just trying to put a different take on it....
Could not help myself adding...

Just hope my mum has not put the same sort of sentiment in her will about me !!!!

Considering she has just been diagnosed terminally ill my days could be numbered.

*she would support this post by the way and is very light hearted about the whole matter.

Just trying to put things in perspective here. A life is a life. My dog is a family member to me.
Old 25 March 2008, 10:05 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Whats the big deal? Of all the evil in the world does it really matter if a couple of dogs are put to sleep (with no pain or distress).....considering we whack a few million cows/sheep/pigs every year, who cares?

Personally i'd give every dog in a rescue home 5 days...if its not re-housed,
euthanize it. The dog knows no difference and it no longer has to live in a cage.
Old 25 March 2008, 11:46 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Whats the big deal? Of all the evil in the world does it really matter if a couple of dogs are put to sleep (with no pain or distress).....considering we whack a few million cows/sheep/pigs every year, who cares?

Personally i'd give every dog in a rescue home 5 days...if its not re-housed,
euthanize it. The dog knows no difference and it no longer has to live in a cage.
I think it would be something to do with the following...

The farmer breeds and raises livestock to kill
A dog owner buys a dog as a companion, family member, and for life.

Its 2 different situations. Not saying its moral to kill one and not the other, but more the sentiment attached to the said animal. And the attitude should not be "done with this one, kill it"

Orphans are not killed, so if the owner has bought the dog with the right intentions, the dog should be considered the same. Not put down because the owner does not want the animal to live on after them
Old 25 March 2008, 12:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
The farmer breeds and raises livestock to kill
A dog owner buys a dog as a companion, family member, and for life.
Not in this case - the owner has breed/raised the dog to be a companion to THEM and to die with them. Not everyone is so soppy, i have two dogs...they arent family members, they are pets.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Not in this case - the owner has breed/raised the dog to be a companion to THEM and to die with them. Not everyone is so soppy, i have two dogs...they arent family members, they are pets.
I dont think believing your dog has a right to live after you is soppy at all. Family members, pets, regardless of what you call them, I assume you take care of their welfare. Vets etc?

The owner has raised show dogs, loyal and I assume well trained. I dont think most would agree that the dog should die because the owner has, and WANTS them dead with them?
Her opinion is that they should be killed regardless of rehoming. Would you want the same for your own?
Old 25 March 2008, 01:01 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Putting the shoe on the other foot, perhaps the dog wouldnt want the owner to live after they die, so if they go first, would the owner be happy to commit suicide to stay with them ?

And what about their husband, kids, friends and other relatives ? It could turn in to a scene from '300' if they get their way.
Old 25 March 2008, 01:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Putting the shoe on the other foot, perhaps the dog wouldnt want the owner to live after they die, so if they go first, would the owner be happy to commit suicide to stay with them ?

And what about their husband, kids, friends and other relatives ? It could turn in to a scene from '300' if they get their way.
Very true mate, maybe I should post and ask her. Although she claims to have left the said forum now, after her opinons were frowned upon.

By all accounts one dog has already been destroyed for an unknown reason. Not sure about the story on this one. Dont think the owner has died once already lol..
Old 25 March 2008, 01:33 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Putting the shoe on the other foot, perhaps the dog wouldnt want the owner to live after they die.
Its a dog, it doesn't wear shoes and it has no opinion on the subject.
Old 25 March 2008, 01:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiggs does kind of have a point, it is very sad to think that somebody would do such a thing but as he said we do kill thousands of animals for food every year so why do Dogs and Cats get special treatment ? a Pig is every bit as intelligent as a Dog but suffers because its far tastier.

However I can appreciate it is a very unpopular thing to say on Scoobynet with the slavish love/defence of things furry.
Old 25 March 2008, 07:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Tiggs does kind of have a point, it is very sad to think that somebody would do such a thing but as he said we do kill thousands of animals for food every year so why do Dogs and Cats get special treatment ? a Pig is every bit as intelligent as a Dog but suffers because its far tastier.

However I can appreciate it is a very unpopular thing to say on Scoobynet with the slavish love/defence of things furry.
Its a point, I will not disagree, but one that has little relevance to the matter. Farmers raise livestock for the sole reason to slaughter and sell the meat (obviously not dairy farmers lol) Where as someone buys an animal for a pet, to home it and raise it.
You dont have to sleep with your pet to have respect for it, or show it a little compassion.
Old 25 March 2008, 07:09 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Of all the evil in the world does it really matter if a couple of dogs are put to sleep
What strange logic.

Its a dog, it doesn't wear shoes and it has no opinion on the subject.
I'm pretty sure a dog doesn't want to die. Because it can't communicate that in words, it deserves to die under the circumstances detailed in the original post?

Why not kill off all the orphan's in the world? Only the poor young ones who don't have an opinion or shoes, mind.... I mean, of all the evil in the world, does it really matter? We all know two wrongs make a right.

Quick Reply: What does this phrase mean to you?