Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The police get something right!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 11:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The police get something right!

My 2 younger brothers (18) and a mate were out on Saturday night and as they were waiting to be picked up by their Dad (my step-dad) in the early hours of Sunday morning they got mugged by 2 guys with a knife who demanded their mobiles and cash. The 2 muggers picked on by brothers' mate first who refused to hand his stuff over and it turned into a scuffle, with the first punch being thrown by the mate and my brothers waded in as it kicked off.

By sheer coincidence, the mates Dad was driving past (he's a taxi driver) and saw the ruck and he gave chase to the muggers as they legged it and he tried to run them over in his taxi, narrowly missing them and they managed to get away.

They all went to the police station to report it and the cops immediately took my brothers out to search for the muggers, who they found and arrested. They're due in court on Tuesday.

The police say they're going to throw the book at the muggers and expect stiff sentencing from the court.

So, we have the first punch being thrown by the innocent party, someone driving a car at the muggers and the police getting off their **** when needed and actually managing to make an arrest and actually arresting the right people and not making things worse for the victims of crime. Doesn't sound like our police, does it? Unfortunately, it wasn't, it was the Spanish police. Maybe our lot could learn a few things...
Old 23 March 2008, 11:43 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Our police do stuff like this all the time, unfortunately it's only the inept and lazy policing that makes it to the press.
Old 23 March 2008, 11:46 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Just the way it should be. Just a shame they weren't run over!
Old 23 March 2008, 11:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The muggers were from Columbia. The police reckon there's a good chance they're going to get deported.
Old 23 March 2008, 11:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend of mine used to live in Benidorm a few years back.

Some, locals/pikeys/immigrants, I forget which, tried to steal his G/F's handbag.

My mate, now has a nasty scar on his wrist, across the veins.

The coppers didn't want to know, even though he was pissing blood from his wrist. They told him to get a taxi to hospital.

Some police forces give a damn and some don't seemingly, regionally/internationally.
Old 24 March 2008, 12:03 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

One of my mates got mugged in Tenerife by a couple of Morrocans. His wallet was empty as he'd been boozing all day. The muggers actually had the cheek to find my mate and give him his wallet back as there was nothing for them!
Old 24 March 2008, 12:15 AM
spireite
BANNED

lets hope the courts don't let them off
Old 24 March 2008, 12:22 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Hope they do get what they deserve and the courts come down hard on them, and deport them if neccessary.

And well done to the police for catching them.

What area was this in matey?
Old 24 March 2008, 01:03 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
The muggers were from Columbia. The police reckon there's a good chance they're going to get deported.
No doubt Flash will be standing with the door open and kettle on for them, then.
Just incase Columbia's too dangerous for them to go back to.
Old 24 March 2008, 10:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Our police do stuff like this all the time, unfortunately it's only the inept and lazy policing that makes it to the press.
Blimey, glad the are ok and glad the caught the scumbags, muggin with a knife - i wonder what they will get.

Rev please can you update when the get sentenced

99.9 of cops at the sharp end live where the rest of us live and see what we see and have the same feelings about it.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 March 2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24 March 2008, 11:39 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I will await the outcome.
But my guess will be some magistrate will give them a slap on the wrist, and £30 court costs .......
Old 24 March 2008, 11:42 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Hope they do get what they deserve and the courts come down hard on them, and deport them if neccessary.

And well done to the police for catching them.

What area was this in matey?
This was in Tenerife. My brothers have lived there since they were babies and are Canarian in most respects and were in a not-so touristy area. I'm not 100% convinced that they would have been treated the same if they were Playa de las Americas and only spoke English in a northern accent.

Having said that, my parents have pretty much only had good experiences with the police over there. They seem to have a lot of common sense.
Old 24 March 2008, 11:43 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
I will await the outcome.
But my guess will be some magistrate will give them a slap on the wrist, and £30 court costs .......
It's not the UK, so doubtful.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:18 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

My 2 younger brothers (18) and a mate were out on Saturday night and as they were waiting to be picked up by their Dad (my step-dad) in the early hours of Sunday morning they got mugged by 2 guys with a knife who demanded their mobiles and cash. The 2 muggers picked on by brothers' mate first who refused to hand his stuff over and it turned into a scuffle, with the first punch being thrown by the mate and my brothers waded in as it kicked off.

By sheer coincidence, the mates Dad was driving past (he's a taxi driver) and saw the ruck and he gave chase to the muggers as they legged it and he tried to run them over in his taxi, narrowly missing them and they managed to get away.

They all went to the police station to report it and the cops immediately took my brothers out to search for the muggers, who they found and arrested. They're due in court on Tuesday.

The police say they're going to throw the book at the muggers and expect stiff sentencing from the court.

So, we have the first punch being thrown by the innocent party, someone driving a car at the muggers and the police getting off their **** when needed and actually managing to make an arrest and actually arresting the right people and not making things worse for the victims of crime. Doesn't sound like our police, does it? Unfortunately, it wasn't, it was the Spanish police. Maybe our lot could learn a few things...

Throwing the 1st punch is perfectly fine and acceptable under common law.

Street robbers are caught in around 70% of cases where I work and there are special units who concentrate on just that. It is one of the most detected crimes in Britain as the robbers are usually kids/teens, make it their living and are stupid, so well known.

Had similar happen where I was the 'lazy' copper about 18 months ago, and it happens nightly - just doesn't make the press.

I found my man about 15 mins after the robbery with him still in possession of the knife he used, and the property he took. He has also broken the jaw of his victim.

He got 3.5 yrs for it. However, he was released after 11 months. Great eh?

Last edited by fatherpierre; 24 March 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've never understood this If 3.5yrs then serve it ... if the intention is just 11mnths then give 11mnths & make sure that it's served. Whole thing is otherwise.

TX.

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
He got 3.5 yrs for it. However, he was released after 11 months. Great eh?
Old 24 March 2008, 01:28 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Overcrowding of prisons mate.

Makes me wonder why I bother. I thought it was the non-dangerous prisoners who were released early.......

Smashing someone in the face, breaking his jaw, stealing his stuff AND the small matter of pulling a knife would suggest to me he's a touch dangerous. Particularly as he was a reapeat offender.

Hey, what do we know?

Oh, and he's since repeated the above - a month after release.
Old 24 March 2008, 02:30 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

It's not the UK, so doubtful.

Sorry, thought it was the UK
Old 24 March 2008, 05:14 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Surely thats an infringement of their human rights?
Old 24 March 2008, 05:28 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i do a lot of business with can arian companies, i think its gone down the nick over the last threee years
Old 24 March 2008, 06:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i do a lot of business with can arian companies, i think its gone down the nick over the last threee years
Totally. The tourist trade has dropped off because there's no cheap flights there and there's a flood of immigrants from Africa and south America looking for an easy way into Europe plus all the dodgy little-Englanders that live there (my parents not included, obviously )
Old 24 March 2008, 07:17 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i thought los cristianos had gotton tatty, all thr barws and food places were dead we went,
Old 24 March 2008, 08:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Spanish police. Maybe our lot could learn a few things...
I was thinking what country was this?...until I read the last line
Old 24 March 2008, 10:56 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i thought los cristianos had gotton tatty, all thr barws and food places were dead we went,
Yeah, it's a shame, Cristianos was always nice. We spend most of our time in Los Gigantes or Puerto de la Cruz. My parents live pretty centrally so it's either half an hour down to Cristianos or an hour or so over Teide to the north and my sister has a flat in La Laguna so we can stay there. Santa Cruz is a pretty good night out (especially New Year, loads of Shakira wannabes )
Old 27 March 2008, 08:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Update: They went to court on Tuesday and got probation and ordered to pay 600€ in compensation so not much different from our courts in the end.

To me probation = let off but I'm not really sure what it entails
Old 28 March 2008, 04:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to hear about some coppers who are prepared to take a responsible view and are allowed to use their own intelligence.

Les
Old 28 March 2008, 04:41 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Bring in Chuck Norris to 'roundhouse kick them into next week'