Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone claimed for damage to a vehicle caused by poor road maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 08:50 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone claimed for damage to a vehicle caused by poor road maintenance?

Any success/advice?

Basically I'm on leave, and my tracking has been thrown out after just clipping the ever increasing gaping cavern that is the pot hole outside my parents house this week.

This "pot hole" is now a good 5" deep, and about.. *looks out of window*.. 3'6" - 4' long - by about 1'6" wide from the edge of compacted gravel path. This has been caused by the ever increasing numbers of HGV's using the unclassified road to get to the local airfield industrial estate (there is no other access).

It has been reported at least 5 times to the local authority via the Parish council since last Spring when it first started to appear, in addition to a number of reports from my parents and neighbors.

Think its worth me getting the car sorted and forwarding the bill to the local authority?
Old 18 March 2008, 09:42 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
I tried and got told to go forth and multiply pretty much And that was for more than a pothole, half the carriageway was missing due to roadworks that hadn't been done properly which grounded my car out. Couldn't see it until it was too late as down a country lane at night and on a bend.
All the same with this government mate - it's fine when they want our money but when we actually want something back - forget it!
Old 18 March 2008, 09:45 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Think its worth me getting the car sorted and forwarding the bill to the local authority?
You have nothing to loose

Although if you know its there can't you just slow down for it instead of nocking your tracking out. I work in an industrial site which has truck sized pot holes, not once hae i Knocked my tracking out as i just amble over them!
Old 18 March 2008, 09:51 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom

Although if you know its there can't you just slow down for it instead of nocking your tracking out. I work in an industrial site which has truck sized pot holes, not once hae i Knocked my tracking out as i just amble over them!
Still not an excuse for the pothole being there, there was a time, that the road tax was 'supposed' to be used to keep the roads in good order, I now think they forget the roads altogether until the end of their financial year when they have to use up all available funds, just so they can get the same (if not more) allowance from the govenment coffers.

I would take it to a local, or even National news paper. they seem to like these kind of stories recently.
Old 18 March 2008, 10:23 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom

Part of it is that I'm sick of the fact that after almost a year nothing has been done about it. Even if they tell me to jump but they come and fix it, at least it will have achieved something.

The only thing with the local press is that I don't really want to advertise my car - but I'm sure they'd love the "hero soldier on leave vs evil local authorities road neglect" angle
Old 18 March 2008, 12:21 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You'll have to push them, but I do believe they have a requirement to fix it. You may have issues claiming as you knew about the damage before you decided to drive into the pothole. However, you may want to consider if the area was too poorly lit to avoid it even knowing that it was there (more cost for them to install streetlights), or the fact that it suddenly deteriorated.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am sure that there have been instances where motorists have successfully claimed for damage due to non maintained roads. I would certainly send them a solicitor's letter about it.

Les
Old 18 March 2008, 02:53 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i got 2 wheels paid for and new front coilovers due to a crater in the road in my town. took a while but i won in the end , and the road was resurfaced after a petition from the residents
Old 18 March 2008, 03:19 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Trip over from it and make a claim. My neighbour broke her wrist and got £27,000 in a claim for a poorly laid pedestrian walkway.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:30 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Originally Posted by andy97
Trip over from it and make a claim. My neighbour broke her wrist and got £27,000 in a claim for a poorly laid pedestrian walkway.
how much :shock:

is he related to heather mills
Old 18 March 2008, 07:18 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Any success/advice?

Basically I'm on leave, and my tracking has been thrown out after just clipping the ever increasing gaping cavern that is the pot hole outside my parents house this week.

This "pot hole" is now a good 5" deep, and about.. *looks out of window*.. 3'6" - 4' long - by about 1'6" wide from the edge of compacted gravel path. This has been caused by the ever increasing numbers of HGV's using the unclassified road to get to the local airfield industrial estate (there is no other access).

It has been reported at least 5 times to the local authority via the Parish council since last Spring when it first started to appear, in addition to a number of reports from my parents and neighbors.

i did about 5 years ago pot hole in road about 3" deep and a metre long,after filling in a form and sending invoice bromsgrove council coughed up £350 for suspension reps to my 307

i also claimed for a windscreen and paintwork to bonnet of megane 3 years ago after the council redone a dual carriageway using liquid tar and stone method.i complained and they eventually admitted the contractor doing work had cocked it up so they payed.

i suppose all councils are different though
Old 18 March 2008, 07:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

currently tooing and frowing myself with a claim for a new tyre from a puncture caused by a {assumed} big pothole I have seen the repair as it was done the day I reported it {day after incident} I was on my way home with kids and wife hit said pothole puncture to tyre, ended up me changing tyre in snow and sleet with a car full on a jack LOL.

So far it has been 2 letters to the council and just sent second to the water authority, this one is the one before legal action, just out of principle if they don't pay I shall take them to the small claims now as letter ping pong really annoys me.

Maybe I should start a thread about it and get PSL's advice...
Old 18 March 2008, 09:05 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

To put you in the picture - its an unclassified road, we are about 80 metres from the junction to an 'A' road (I'm talking Norfolk 'A' road.. anywhere else it would be classified as a B road..) and about the same distance from where the national speed limit starts, there are two street lights on the other side of the road about 60 metres apart (my parents is roughly in the middle of the two). There is no pavement on either side of the road, and no 'edging'. It's not wide enough for two HGV's to pass without one of them pulling onto the compacted gravel/grass banking - which means the edge of the road simply crumbles away.

The fundamental fact is that the road is totally unsuitable for the amount of heavy traffic that uses it, but I don't think there is much that can be done about that It's just frustrating how *nothing* is being done about it.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Good luck Prasius....

Hope you get somewhere with this...... I clattered one last night (that I knew about but was forced into by oncoming round a narrow r/h bend) but luckily there seems to be no damage....

Roads are a total state round here, not just the post frost/snow cracks but also a sheer state of dis-repair prior to the winter that has been multiplied by it's effects. Not aided by half-arsed patching jobs by the roads department

Good luck anyway