Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help me make this poster look a tool !

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 03:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me make this poster look a tool !

This has been posted on a forum I use. Would someone in the know be kind enough to point out any mistakes please

3 weeks ago a couple guys came over, one with an arrogant flair asked me to draw him a modification map to make his new subaru WrX as bad *** as the sti version...boy this is an ugly car lol... but alas, I asked the gurus of turbocharging to come up with the answers and we made the plan, which he liked, turns out the guy is rich, son of some movie producer... so he left the car and I set out to parts ordering and stuff, we pulled the engine, fitted better components on the boxer four, re mapped the fuel system and fitted it with one rather large bore ball bearing turbo kit, I knew this would not be ok since the lag would be unbearable, so we went one step further and added an assist via a bit of laugh juice, not too much, only around a 20 shot to be armed manually when driver needed the low end pick up (like at a drag for example) in order to spool the turbo faster without damaging the engine... as luck would have it there was no way I could dyno tune all 4 wheels here, so we temporarily disengaged the front wheels... this gave me only a slight problem with having to use an outside sump for the oil to go in and out of while the back end sat on the dyno spinning, alas I meassured a successful 434bhp and 376 foot pounds of torque... so began tunning and playing with the air fuel ratios, ended up at 349bhp and 310 torque... thing is I know that once all 4 wheels get to work the figure will be lower slightly, so in fact this car may be now just as fast as a factory STI... however having much more torque and less lag should be able to destroy a factory version

Old 18 March 2008, 03:25 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Er... should "WrX" be "WRX"?

Apart from that I haven't a clue.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:26 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Er... should "WrX" be "WRX"?

Apart from that I haven't a clue.
well you're crap .. if he's talk sense then thats also fine
Old 18 March 2008, 03:36 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I dunno if he talks sense either. I can't even claim to be drunk but I don't understand it. Then again I don't know anything about cars, last time I looked at the engine of my motor is said "BMW" on it. See, I know nothing
Old 18 March 2008, 07:29 AM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Mine says TDI. I've never even heard of that make of car. What have I bought?
Old 18 March 2008, 08:24 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

can you disengage a permanent 4 wheel system ?
Old 18 March 2008, 08:51 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Why on earth would you need help to achieve this?..... can you not read his post.... "arrogant flair"....... and "son of a rich movie producer" ....
Old 18 March 2008, 08:53 AM
Steptoe
Scooby Regular

He's either pi55ed or a yank.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:10 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

"New" WRX - presumably a 2.5. So he fitted a "large" turbo (wow.. that fills me full of confidence), "fitted better parts" to the engine (again.. how specific), and 20bhp of "laugh juice" - presumably Nitrous Oxide. They don't have a 4wd rolling road; has a massive disregard for their customers, admits they know nothing about turbo's, and ended up allegedly less lag and far more torque than an STI. Yeah, it sounds fabulous.

What I will take from that post is that:

A) They're American.
B) In their opinion anything that isn't an American barge that doesn't go around corners (aka "Domestic") is crap.
C) They know sweet FA about Subaru's.
D) It reinforces my belief that, in general, Americans grasp on sarcasm and irony is tenuous at best - the use of the word "Alas" is not sarcastic nor humorous.
F) The owner of the Subaru in question is just as much of an idiot for taking it to this "durr.. domestic.. ye-haaa.." hick in the first place.
Old 18 March 2008, 09:57 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the kid is rich why did he buy a WRX?
If i were rich i wouldn't buy an impreza and the details are oh so specific.
I would guess he mechanically disengaged the front wheels.

Some yanks do know imprezas (nasioc have a few) but this guy really does sound very slap dash in his tuning.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Your right he is a Yank .. I get the impression the whole "garage" thing he has going is a load of crap.. I've love to be proven wrong though !!

Just wondered if anything he said isn't possible or makes no sense ?
Old 18 March 2008, 01:45 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Just wondered if anything he said isn't possible or makes no sense ?
I thought you knew and it was sort of a test or something

As with all of the above,I have no idea if the bloke is brilliant or not.Sorry
Old 18 March 2008, 02:02 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
I thought you knew and it was sort of a test or something

As with all of the above,I have no idea if the bloke is brilliant or not.Sorry
no not at all.. I haven't a clue
Old 18 March 2008, 02:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

YANK talkin ****e
Old 18 March 2008, 03:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
YANK talkin ****e
care to explain which bits?
Old 18 March 2008, 03:44 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

care to explain which bits?
You need to get out more!

You don't email sellers on ebay when they made a slight error with their description do you?
Old 18 March 2008, 04:31 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by M444GY
YANK talkin ****e

this is natural it happens when they open their mouths
Old 18 March 2008, 09:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
You need to get out more!

You don't email sellers on ebay when they made a slight error with their description do you?
if they bad mouth an Impreza I would .. I get the impression it was to annoy me
Old 18 March 2008, 10:27 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Old 18 March 2008, 11:31 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

if they bad mouth an Impreza I would .. I get the impression it was to annoy me
I drive a cupra which imho is way better than some souped up ball-bearing aided turbocharged lump of Japanese claptrap. ... Oh, and Im NOT a yank....

I spell tuning as 'T U N I N G' .. not with a double 'n' ... Im also of the belief that the word *measured* only has one 'S' in it.. oh, and remember,... Im NOT a yank

and fwiw, i dont take the internet too seriously

Have a nice day, Y'all
Old 18 March 2008, 11:32 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

oh , and Im NOT a yank

*did I say that already

Old 18 March 2008, 11:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yanker, maybe.
Old 19 March 2008, 12:09 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

quite possibly Geoff, as I seem to recall I've yanked your chain on a few occasions

Old 19 March 2008, 03:18 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

SO I take it no one knows anything factual about engines etc or he's correct ?

Last edited by pimmo2000; 19 March 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 19 March 2008, 08:30 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

try general or technical section?
Old 19 March 2008, 06:01 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm confused about the use of nitrous to "spool the turbo up faster"

Nitrous massively cools the air going into the mainfold and pumps in REALLY dense air to hit the cylinders, while the oxygen breaks free in the clylinder and increases the power of the explosion.

So.... he gets a boost in power but this still needs to get the turbo spooled up... which is entirely reliant on the exhaust gasses..... So won't that simply take the same time?

He says that there is less lag but ONLY when the Nitrous is in use and THAT takes time to get into the engine from when the happy button is pushed. Not to mention the physical time required to get to and press the button! (smaller turbo = faster spool up and all you need do is press one pedal down, wait and giggle like loon)

So he's "mapped the fuel system" but doesn't mention larger injectors or a more powerful fuel pump... If he is dumping that much more air into the cylinders he's going to need a much greater fuel feed to match.

The reason I know about the last bit is that was the downfall on my old Cally Turbo (cylinder 3 melt)

As far as I can tell he's fitted the biggest turbo he can find and hoped for the best.
Old 20 March 2008, 12:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I'm confused about the use of nitrous to "spool the turbo up faster"

Nitrous massively cools the air going into the mainfold and pumps in REALLY dense air to hit the cylinders, while the oxygen breaks free in the clylinder and increases the power of the explosion.

So.... he gets a boost in power but this still needs to get the turbo spooled up... which is entirely reliant on the exhaust gasses..... So won't that simply take the same time?

He says that there is less lag but ONLY when the Nitrous is in use and THAT takes time to get into the engine from when the happy button is pushed. Not to mention the physical time required to get to and press the button! (smaller turbo = faster spool up and all you need do is press one pedal down, wait and giggle like loon)

So he's "mapped the fuel system" but doesn't mention larger injectors or a more powerful fuel pump... If he is dumping that much more air into the cylinders he's going to need a much greater fuel feed to match.

The reason I know about the last bit is that was the downfall on my old Cally Turbo (cylinder 3 melt)

As far as I can tell he's fitted the biggest turbo he can find and hoped for the best.
I posted this and he replied

let me explain, you do understand the car's powerband right?

you see in order to generate enough exhaust pressure to "spool" the rather large bore turbo, the car now needs to make more rpm, thus this creates a slight lag at the bottom end between pedal push and reaction = boost, ok, you are correct about the nitrous cooling the intake charge making it dense, however this is where careful tuning takes place, inject too much at the wrong rpm and you end up with catastrophic results, inject too little and you can stall your turbine due to a high volume of exhaust without enough pressure to push the hot side, which can result in a turbo burn out and parts flying out of exhaust pipe, not good

so basicaly you run it on dyno, use tools to look at what engine is doing, find the weak spot, which in this particular car happens to be around 2k - 3.1k rpm, so you schedule the system to open certain things at certain points, allowing more air at a milisecond between 2k push, (provided the nitrous is armed at this point) the voulume of extra air is very small, the volume of N2o is also small enough not to cause too much cooldown, but just enough extra oxygen is added here, remember that this intake air is going thru intercooler before going to engine anyway, math comes into play here, (flock this up and bye bye car) the nitrous only shoots between 2k and 3.1k rpm, the fuel injectors go into overdrive, at this time my magic is telling them that the throttle is wide open, thus they dump extra fuel, the MSD module receives signal to send big spark at this time, sounds dangerous, it is, usualy all this part of tuning is done without the exhaust on, the calculation is different for every car but fairly close between same models, you cannot do this with a stock ECM, this is why the addition of a piggyback or a stand alone "fuel computer" (which is nothing but a module with the settings I have programmed) comes in, it is all high tech it seems but it is all logic, the additon of a boost controller allows even more play, as you can control just how much air gets compressed into your engine this way by adjusting both the wastegate and in some turbos even the blade or spool angle of attack, however you need to balance it all in a custom setup, more air needs more fuel, more fuel need hotter spark, hotter spark needs stronger components, stronger components need to be light enough not to rob you of power, too light of a rod or crank and you can break those, so no, not anybody can tune a car, nowadays many cars come factory with nearly indestructible internals, so this makes the job even easier, subarus are not this kind however and it takes hours upon hours to get it right, lots of close calls, a few burns, etc, yes much bigger injectors were added, yes a small turbo would suffice for a nice turbo set up with less lag, however you are limited in the amount of power you can produce, you can spin a TD05 size turbo up to 27,000rpm and still only get max out put of 9psi compression... however you spin godzilla size R01 or T60 at 14,000 and you are making an easy 18-21psi... for this application we also wanted linear power and not a boost that would come in full blast at 5k rpm, we wanted to come in at a much lower end, where the car needs it, remember this is not gonna be a daily driver car, if it was I would have opted for the smaller maybe even a twin turbo set up for low and high power, and perhaps you don't understand how the nitrous system works, you see this is how it goes, you start car, drive normally, nothing happens with it, but lets say now you are in a track, you go ahead and at any time you hit button, guess what nothing happens here, the system is simply armed, now, the next time you come to a corner and slow down, the system is ready to operate, there is no need to push anything again, you drive normally, however the moment you down shift, and depress pedal to get out of that corner, get ready because the firey demons from hell are coming loose, and you did not press anything, your turbo spools so quick that your response is nearly like a naturally aspirated engine, your engine revs so fast that your eyes go cross eyed... and this will continue to happen for the next 5 hours, due to the actual shot being so small this was the estimate we made from the size of bottle, in fact maybe more due to the fact that the nitrous does not stay pumping past the 3.2k rpm, this is self sustaining boost at this time, get to next corner with porsche dude behind you all pissed off lol ( when he told me the story I pictured Richard hammond getting upset behind me, hahaha) until you hit button again, then your "N2 assist" gets disarmed and you are back to normal turbo driving, you are still fast but it takes you a bit longer to get out of the hole, another advantage of the bigger bore is that the power is exponentially increasing so when you think you ahave reached the top, it keeps going and going and going until your head starts spinning like the exorcist chic
Old 20 March 2008, 01:46 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Best just to buy a quicker car in the first place I think.

Sounds like that baby's gonna blow