Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

6 Dead in head on crash in Gloucestershire

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2008, 09:40 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 6 Dead in head on crash in Gloucestershire

Cant ever remember that many being killed in one crash.

BBC NEWS | England | Gloucestershire | Six killed in head-on car crash

Last edited by rossyboy; 08 March 2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: link added
Old 08 March 2008, 09:53 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep bad news, very bad news
Old 08 March 2008, 10:17 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i've driven on that road quite a few times and its not a road know for accidents.
Old 08 March 2008, 10:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Not good at all
Old 08 March 2008, 10:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

something like nine people involved in totoal, heard five dead, earlier - two kids and an adult with severe injuries as well, i hope one more has not died.

How awful.
Old 08 March 2008, 02:21 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
i've driven on that road quite a few times and its not a road know for accidents.
You mean it's not known for accidents?

I dunno mate, I drive that road several times a week and have seen loads of near misses. There are lots of nice straight bits for overtaking, bit also lots of hidden dips and blind crests.

Very sad incident, particularly for the folks who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 08 March 2008, 04:37 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

How terrible - my thoughts go out to everyone involved.
Old 08 March 2008, 05:43 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh God...

Six-death crash children fight on
Two children and their aunt were fighting for their lives after a head-on car crash which killed six people, including the children's grandparents.

A nine-year-old girl, a 10-year-old boy and their aunt, 34, were in a critical condition after the "horrific" accident.

The collision occurred close to the Broadwell turning on the A429 between Moreton-in-Marsh and Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire.

The children's grandparents, who were with them in a VW Passat, are among the six dead. Their grandfather, 53, died at the scene, while their grandmother, 61, who was in the front passenger seat, died early on Saturday.

All five people in the Passat are thought to be from Stow-on-the-Wold.

Four people in a Peugeot 306, which was attempting to overtake a Kia Sedona at the time of the crash, died at the scene. They were a 35-year-old man, a 31-year-old woman, and a 15-year-old girl, all from Moreton-in-Marsh, and a 20-year-old man from Chipping Norton.

Police said the boy was being treated at Bristol's Frenchay hospital for head injuries, and the girl at Bristol Children's Hospital for abdominal injuries. Their aunt was receiving treatment for chest injuries at Gloucestershire Royal hospital.

At a press conference Superintendent Jerry Foster of Gloucestershire police said: "This is the worst case of loss of life in a single incident on Gloucestershire's roads for many, many years."

He said a police community support officer discovered the accident scene at about 9.30pm on Friday. "Both vehicles were being driven by local people who would have known the roads," he added.

Gloucestershire Police called for anyone who witnessed the accident to contact them on 0845 0901 234, quoting incident number 536.

Peugot trying to overtake and head on into oncoming traffic....
Old 08 March 2008, 09:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Horrific.
Old 09 March 2008, 12:55 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

I know this road very well indeed and have travelled it many times - commuting for a while too - and at speed.

If I have read the TV film right tonight, where the accident happened the road is bending left in trees before straightening again and going right.

As you come downhill, there are broken white lines on your side of the road so you can overtake. There is a solid white line for the other side.

You can think you can see clear road for 200 or more yards - but there is this little kink on the right.

So there is a moment when you have started to overtake at the beginning of the dotted white line and have moved onto the other side of the road where, in the right - or in this case - the wrong circumstances, a car coming the other way is completely hidden in the slight kink for about 2-3 seconds even if you thought it was clear and OK to overtake when you started your maneouvre.

It happened to me once a couple of years ago but as I was carrying a hell of a lot more speed than the vehicle I was overtaking [actually about double!], all the guy coming the other way saw was a streak of silver flash past him as he never even had time to react and I was out of there!

If the dotted line started 50 yards later, it would get rid of the problem.

After my near miss, I realised what the problem was and I then hung back until I was sure I could go.

With a lower powered car though, you'd need to get cracking to complete the overtake in time before the lines change.

This road has had a lot of accidents along it over the years. I've seen the helicopter called out several times and the Stow and Moreton firemen know it very well.
Old 09 March 2008, 09:57 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thing is tho,it happened at night so surely the other cars headlights would still be visible in the distance ??

sad indeed

i havent gone onto that part of the fosse,my mum lived in stow so that was as far as i went,the fosse is a nice roman road,this will be a good excuse for more speed cameras on it now

condolences to the families
Old 09 March 2008, 10:10 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Is a bad road, as nooby says, a lower powered car has very few opportunities to overtake on it safely.

Speed cameras tend to sit north of Moreton up to Shipston.
Old 09 March 2008, 10:21 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Toll rises to 7

Thoughts for the familes, this must be a terrible time.
Old 09 March 2008, 11:08 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Just the two kids left now
Old 09 March 2008, 11:15 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Terribly sad, especially with kids involved.

Usual mud slinging by press with some rather nasty comments about 306 driver emerging. Boy racer with previous convictions including dd and trying to overtake 3 cars. Just makes it worse for the families I suppose. dl
Old 09 March 2008, 03:39 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Couldn't post last night as it was not confirmed but guessed the guy who caused it was a local looney called, somewhat inappropriately considering he didn't have one, Brain.

He'd been done before for a similar accident in 2003 or thereabouts on the same road after which he ran off - coward that the little ****e was - and I think he'd only recently got his licence back [5 years disqual for drunk driving, due care, failing to stop and no insurance according to the paper today] despite the fact GlosPlods knew he was driving whilst disqualifed.

He was known as a useless pratt - a shame it wasn't just him. He's killed his daughter as well as all the others.

And, no, for a brief moment or two you can't really see the lights coming the other way if they are already on dipped beam and you are out on the wrong side of the road overtaking especailly if the car you are overtaking is on main beam.

As someone else says, that road is tricky all the way even beyond Moreton where parts are 50 mph.

With plenty of poke its fine and I can clear traffic quickly but only in the right paces and if there are reasonable gaps in the traffic, but in an underpowered car with 4 up, you can't do much to power your way out.
Old 09 March 2008, 03:42 PM
panopticon
Scooby Newbie

The fault clearly lies with the operator of the KIA motor carriage. They were most likely proceeding in a dilatory fashion.
Old 09 March 2008, 03:57 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Like my grandad used to say; When you go out of your front door there is always a chance you wont come back because of the actions of another driver...
Horrific tragedy indeed